How Can You Find Out the Cause of Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, May 31, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There must be something better than just giving me a hearing test. I've had that a MRI, Evoked Potential test, and balance testing. What else can I have? Where can I go? I have to stay in the US. This noise is getting worse. Meanwhile, I don't have any idea what is going on with me. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I've had this affliction for over two years. You may never know the cause because there are many ways that people get T. The main culprit is noise exposure, either sudden or prolonged such as listening to music at high volume.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I haven't had that though

4. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Stress? Medications? Do you sit at a desk for long periods of time? Have you been in any accidents eg whiplash?

5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Unfortunately, there isn't a way to prove what causes tinnitus (except in special cases where such as PT where there is a clear vascular issue). Even in cases of hearing loss, stress, changes in medications there is no way to definitively *prove* a cause. In my experience as soon as there is evidence of hearing loss, an audiologist or ENT will point to that as the cause. But there is no test that can prove that in a scientific sense. This is particularly frustrating when tinnitus changes for no apparent reason.

That said, any of these things may be the most likely cause, but I think the OP wants some definitive proof.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was definitely stressed. I have been in accidents but they were 15 yrs ago. I just want to know if something is wrong with my ear or is this my brain. I wouldn't worry so much if it was my brain.

7. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What is the loreta EEG I keep hearing about here? Where can I get one of those?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Mass Eye and Ear would be closer. They haven't given me a ECoG. My ENT didn't even want to give me the balance testing. My neurologist ordered it. Do you happen to know if you have to have symptoms for a long time before something shows up on an ecog?

10. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Unfortunately I don't know anything more about it than what is on that page and a little more that I have found through google. I would assume it would be like any other hearing test where the length of time wouldn't matter.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Then, they should have given it to me. First, they told me that they thought I had Meniere's. Then, after giving me 6+ hearing tests, they said that I don't have it b/c my hearing is normal but I might get it. Seems like this test could answer some questions. I guess I have to lose my hearing before they will be interested in giving me more tests or helping me. You would think that they might be more interested in preventing problems than treating them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

12. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Jkph75

Did you get your hearing tested to 16KHz? Most audiologists test only to 8KHz. Many people with T have normal hearing to that value and a sharp drop for very high frequencies. Also, it is well known that in most cases the T frequency and the hearing loss are related. Is your T above 8KHz?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @InfiniteLoop

I did not have my hearing tested to 16khz. I'm not sure where I can get that done around here. My main T is somewhere around 1or 2khz. I have ones that are higher and lower that come and go. I also have pulsatile tinnitus. It sounds like a machine in there.

14. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I just can't but I can only guess. Since I got T when I was 6 weeks in my benzo withdrawal this is my biggest culprit.

I know this is not what you want to hear but you may never be able to find out your cause. But yoy can find some effective treatment(not cure) in Treatments or Research sections.