How CBT Helped Me Live Again — Dr. Hubbard's Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Dr. Hubbard, May 4, 2014.

1. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Dr. Hubbard

I note no response from Dr. Hubbard since 4 may 2104 unless he is personally messaging people. Is that what is happening people out there?

I say what I can see:
      and still no reply from Dr. Hubbard. How many people have asked questions for quite a few months now and STILL no response from Dr. Hubbard. Why not? What is the point if Dr Hubbard can t or wont answer questions.........to his post or his experience or other peoples question?. How is this support? Come on Dr. Hubbard, please take some notice that people are turning to you for some help. I wouldn't say this normally but some people are desperate and your silence in the face of screaming T is the same as going to the doctor and getting a shrug of the shoulders or worse.
      Hopefully we shall see some response asap.....thanks

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @amandine posted:

I note no response from Dr. Hubbard since 4 may 2104 unless he is personally messaging people. Is that what is happening people out there?

I say what I can see:
      and still no reply from Dr. Hubbard. How many people have asked questions for quite a few months now and STILL no response from Dr. Hubbard. Why not? What is the point if Dr Hubbard can t or wont answer questions.........to his post or his experience or other peoples question?. How is this support? Come on Dr. Hubbard, please take some notice that people are turning to you for some help. I wouldn't say this normally but some people are desperate and your silence in the face of screaming T is the same as going to the doctor and getting a shrug of the shoulders or worse.

Dr. Hubbard has answered more than thirty questions on his Doctors' Corner forum over the past months. I'd say he has been quite responsive and has offered not only support, but a great deal of wisdom as well.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1
    3. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

I think it's good to remember that the doctors here give us their time and advice out of the goodness of their hearts and as their personal and professional schedules allow. They care about this condition and the people suffering from it deeply, or they wouldn't be here at all. Dr. Hubbard has a full-time professional practice and I'm sure a family, friends etc. I think if we come from a place of gratitude (with this and all things) that is going to lead to a more productive and happy result.

Have you submitted your question to the Doctor's Corner? That is more likely to specifically get his attention: I see he answered a question there as recently as November 29th - perhaps you should re-submit your query there.

You can access it here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/ask-a-question.77/create-thread

You can also read past answers from Dr. Hubbard - maybe your question was already asked by someone else: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/dr-bruce-hubbard.76/

Take care of yourself Amandine, things get better with time and personal work - you can do it.

4. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Sorry didnt see his responses in the Doctors Corners. Apologies to @Dr. Hubbard
      Normally I wouldnt post like this but going through an incredibly hard time at the moment.
      Am not sleeping at all now plus was up all night with worst stomach ache I have ever known. Finally fell asleep at 8.30 this morning for three hours but thankfully stomach ache has passed.
      When I woke up the T was and is through the roof - I am actually afraid to go to sleep now and have been for a while now.
      It is impossible to live with this condition and deal with life's stresses - absolutely impossible. The T has never been louder that it is now....
      The consequences are that i am left with little patience and not much clarity of thought let alone a feeling of being appreciative....getting to the end of my coping strategies and thinking the impossible a bit like @Danny Boy is too.

People really dont understand that this is probably the worst disease in the world to have.

Finally this evening I gave in and popped a xanax which is the last thing I wanted to do. Dont want to be addicted or suffer damaging withdrawal symptoms. I have never been as ill as I am now and dont know what to do or how or where to turn for some help. I am literally coping from hour to hour....let alone day to day.

So hopefully you will understand my post and how and why is was made..
      kindness to you all including @Dr. Hubbard with apologies to the doctor..

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. oldnwizr1

oldnwizr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2001
      Dr, this is the first I have heard of the CBT. treatment. I first became aware of the sounds in 2001. ENT doctors offered no help and passed me on to a Neurologist who diagnosed it as an autoimmune disease treated with massive doses of steroids. After a year of no relief I sought a second opinion with a neurologist at another hospital.
      She said the other doctors diagnosis was inaccurate and prescribed me Lexapro to diminish the sound. It seemed to work,( maybe psyosymatic)
      and after ten yes of taking it I weaned myself off. Ringing seems a bit higher,
      but manageable. Then I Google Lexapro to see how it decreases the noise and the internet is full of people who caught tinnitus from taking Lexapro! We have good doctors in San Diego, maybe she gave me the script to get me pacified. As time passed other new doctors just took the med for granted as I told them it was for tinnitus. Now I am really confused but am recovering from prostate surgery
      (5 yes ago) and they found call leukemia. Is there truly no medical remedy for the "white noise"?
      Thanks. James

6. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Dr did you also have hearing loss?

7. redleg103
      Inspired

redleg103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise?
      Sounds too good to be true. I had habituated to my tinnitus for several years but over the last few months it crept back and this past month has been about as challenging as I remember. Thank you for being a light in the dark

8. purple haze

purple haze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown. Possible salicylate sensitivity

9. purple haze

purple haze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown. Possible salicylate sensitivity
      Are there reputable TRT programs online? I live in South Dakota which is a 20 year behind the times state. The behavior management therapists have offered little understanding in management of tinnitus.

10. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      I also found your webinar very informative and helpful.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for Tinnitus...

11. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Please understand that none of these therapies is curative. What they do is help you learn to cope and habituate. It takes time to habituate and we all 'fall off the wagon' from time to time. Don't seek a magic 'cure' as it does not exist. Find the right approach for you and stick with it.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I like Dr Hubbard's Story and have come across it a few times.
      With no cure and no effective treatment other than a psychological adjustment, we have to go with developing coping techniques, habituation, or acclimatisation, which is what I prefer to call it.
      The very word ‘habituation’ has been defined too many different ways to mean anything specific any more.
      When people state that they have habituated to the point where they hardly ever notice it, then I am sceptical on several fronts.
      With no objective measure of Tinnitus volume we have to wonder how loud their ‘loud’ actually was?
      We can never know the volume of another’s Tinnitus.
      We obviously know that a much milder form is far easier to cope with - hence ‘their’ possible success.

However, Dr Hubbard’s methods are similar to what I use in my admittedly ‘homespun’ meditation.
      Having made myself physically comfortable, I am fully aware of my tinnitus noise.
      However - I do not concentrate on it.
      I clearly hear it, and then utilise a shallow diaphragmatic breathing practice to ‘take me away from the experience of noise’ into a much more peaceful setting, a meditational state, or a doze.

Having come round again I do feel less bothered by it, and much more relaxed, even though the sound hasn’t gone away.
      Just thought I’d give my own two penneth.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think you’re underestimating Hubbard’s lack of understanding for severe sufferers. At least from what I’ve read by him he seems to believe the vast majority can live a completely normal, totally unbothered life with tinnitus. Just react neutrally to the tinnitus and your brain will scan it out. The only people that struggle react negatively to their tinnitus.

This is from a recent ATA podcast episode:
      JC: I know Dean and I agree, as well as many other professionals with whom we've spoken, that people who have troublesome tinnitus have a significantly larger incidence‐‐ possibly most of them have some kind of a psychological basis for that problem. I believe that people with bothersome versus non‐bothersome tinnitus have a psychological basis for the difference in the tinnitus effects between them. Do you agree with that?

Hubbard: Yeah, that's true, and that's been demonstrated in numerous research projects. There are differences in how they think about tinnitus, how they pay attention to tinnitus, and how they behave around their tinnitus. So, their thought process becomes very negative. We call it catastrophic thinking, really jumping to the worst‐case scenario.

• Agree Agree x 4
    14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      TRT is best done with a trained Hearing Therapist or Audiologist face-to-face. I have had the treatment twice. It requires the wearing of two white noise generators, worn for up to 10hrs a day and use a sound machine at night. Having regular counselling with your therapist. Treatment can take up to two years.

More information is in the links below.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/trt-as-i-see-it.19555/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/

15. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Your 'homespun' meditation works for you, Dave, and this is a very good thing. Meditation, in any form, can help to alleviate the stress that tinnitus can cause us.

We need to find ways to cope.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The dialogue above is nauseating - that is why I questioned his severity.

If this joker ever gets severe tinnitus he just might think again Autumnly.

I totally agree with you on this, as on pretty well every dialogue you and I have.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I appreciate you're coming back Ems,
      Thank you
      Dave x

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have to thank @Autumnly for bringing my attention to this.

This is from a recent ATA podcast episode:
      JC: I know Dean and I agree, as well as many other professionals with whom we've spoken, that people who have troublesome tinnitus have a significantly larger incidence‐‐ possibly most of them have some kind of a psychological basis for that problem. I believe that people with bothersome versus non‐bothersome tinnitus have a psychological basis for the difference in the tinnitus effects between them. Do you agree with that?

Hubbard: Yeah, that's true, and that's been demonstrated in numerous research projects. There are differences in how they think about tinnitus, how they pay attention to tinnitus, and how they behave around their tinnitus. So, their thought process becomes very negative. We call it catastrophic thinking, really jumping to the worst‐case scenario.

This conversation actually disgusts me.
      It is s flat out denial of the differences in severity.
      I am an expert on mild Tinnitus - I had it for 22 years.
      It didn’t bother me - a veritable stroll in the park.
      I used to joke about it.
      “There’s a bloke whistling in my ear, and I wouldn’t mind but I don’t like the tune - it’s the one note samba.”

I had this level from 1992 until 2014 - then in the summer of 2014 I woke one morning with loud severe Tinnitus.

The difference - pure and simple - was “VOLUME!!!” - not some ridiculously suggested psychological basis.

The physical destruction of cochlea nerve fibres due to acoustic trauma had led to severe Tinnitus.

And those people above, discussing our condition, are supposed to be experts in Tinnitus.
      Excuse my French:
      “They Don’t Know Jack Shit !!!!!”

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. threefirefour
      Rebellious

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      It's best not done whatsoever

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      And best not to follow such advice....

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried it?

I haven't tried it because I didn't think it would work in my case, however, this means that I can't have an opinion about it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      You've never had an abortion so does that mean you can't have an opinion on that?

Anyways mine is based off research suggesting it doesn't work, and even in the CBT field, there's better alternatives like CBT. TRT is too specificly routed in a dying field, and efficacy is not proven.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The question is not whether something should be legal, the question is whether something works. If there are studies that compare its performance to that of a placebo, then of course one can use those studies to answer that question. In the absence of those studies, as long as there are people who claim that it has helped them (e.g., Michael), one can't claim that it will definitely not help a random person who might try it. Right?
      Have there been papers published suggesting that it works? If so, how do we know what research conclusion we can trust?

• Like Like x 2
    24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996

A lot of negative reactions to CBT and TRT treatment are borne out of jealousy because these treatments can be expensive and not everyone can afford them. For some people the cost of these treatments are covered by a healthcare system or paid by medical insurance. Other people may not be so fortunate and it can create bad feeling. This is unfortunate bad sadly true. It is part of the reason I advise people not to discus these treatments in tinnitus forums, if they are having them as negative comments, whether true or not can seriously affect a person's progress.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    25. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah I don't think that's it at all chief.

There have been but there was a glaring flaw. There was no placebo group. The other paper had a bigger N value and a placebo group.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I believe I hit the nail squarely on the head. A number of people have contacted me in this forum that are having tinnitus treatment and have taken my advice not to discuss it, due to negative bias from people like you. They are doing quite well.

Good day and I wish you well
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    27. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Can they come forward?

28. Luman
      Spaced

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      "....in 2005, I came down with what certainly seemed to me at the time to be pretty loud, severe tinnitus. And I have to say bluntly, it knocked me on my butt. So, I really do know firsthand what people are going through....."

"......CBT is hands down one of the best approaches to tinnitus, but there's a big problem in that cognitive behavior therapists don't know about tinnitus.....".

The above excerpts are from the transcript of an ATA interview with Dr. Hubbard here:

Attached Files:

29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      No

30. JohnAdams
      Greedy

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Or maybe because it doesn't do anything to actually help tinnitus itself?