How Do Earplugs and Hyperacusis Relate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JurgenG, Aug 13, 2017.

1. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I am wondering about this from quite some time. I never looked at myself of being part of the Hyperacusis-crew. But more as a Tinnitus-side guy.

But as both are connected you read up about it and hear a lot from fellow suffers.

It's fair to say I've been overprotecting, thinking, well why not be extra-safe, just in case.
      Using earplugs on the highway, on speeds over 120 km/h, while my car is actually fairly good isolated.
      Plugging my ears with my finger if a car goes by when walking on the street.
      Using plugs once the level is going above 70 dB.

Yesterday I had to film a repetition (acoustic) for a musical, where there was an also accoustic piano, and people sometimes singing / also just talking in a large room.
      I had quite some problems figuring out when I should plug. Plugging all the time made my T really audible when they were not singing, which I can't deal with. Not plugging was just too loud. I measured around 85 dB in the singing parts, while peaking at + 95 dB on the highest parts.
      So I was constantly turning my earplugs lose and back in and back out, and so one. A hassle to say the least.

Of course, sometimes I was too late, and I had to deal with those sound levels, almost completely without protection, for 5 seconds from time to time. So that made me scared of new damage, of course.

Anyone know if that could be harmful for "sensitive" ears?
      (I noticed a small spike afterwards, not huge.)

My second question, can you develop hyperacusis by using earplugs, and can that hyperacusis make your ears more susceptible for an increase of tinnitus? Things sound "too loud" for me fairly quickly, so I must have a form of hyperacusis? (Or is it just oversensitivity or anxiousness, I don't know..)

But if it sounds too loud, does it mean it will be damaging, or increase your tinnitus more easily?

I really don't know how to deal with it, feel like I can't do anything and should just stay inside...

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @JurgenG

Tinnitus and hyperacusis caused by loud noise takes time to recover. Although you are eight months in with these conditions, it is still not considered a long time. If you are using sound enrichment correctly and not using headphones (even at low volume) then it’s likely your tinnitus and hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) will improve further.

Properly managed and treated, I believe hyperacusis can be completely cured as mine has now for eighteen years after wearing white noise generators for two years and using sound enrichment at night. I don’t believe a person can develop hyperacusis wearing earplugs. However, if a person already has the condition and wears earplugs too often, they could make their hypercusis worse, as they are not allowing their auditory system to be exposed to normal everyday sounds.

I don’t think that it’s necessary to insert earplugs and reach for earmuffs at the slightest indication of loud noise, as some people do in this forum. This causes stress and reinforces the negative thinking that even slightly loud sounds are harmful. I have mentioned this in many of my posts so won’t go over it again. I went to a venue where the sound levels were 100 decibels and stayed there for 30 mins (used no hearing protection) and had no problems at all. I am not suggesting that anyone try this, all I’m saying not to become overly concerned about loud sounds that are in everyday environment.

By all means use noise-reducing earplugs when necessary but one should be careful of overuse. Yesterday a member posted in this forum, concerns he has of hands free mobile phone use, emitting sound levels of 100 db and over. He is worried this might cause hearing damage and is now going to be wearing earplugs more regularly. I think this is carrying things too far: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/iphone-speakers-maximum-volume.23294/#post-268346

Try to relax and not concern yourself too much about sound. Continue using sound enrichment especially at night and allow your ears to get used to normal everyday sounds without being afraid it will cause you harm. Your ears and auditory system will in time desensitise.

Please click on the links below and read my posts.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Michael, going through your posts as we speak.
      Does your experience tell you that if it "feels too loud" it is "too loud" or is there a difference?

Thanks to the moderator to move this post, so used to post this in the T-section that I forgot there is a H one.
      And thanks for editing it, it's better now.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is easy to give in to anxiety and fear and believe that a sound is too loud. Usually I go by how I feel. So, yes if it feels too loud then it is too loud. I haven't used earplugs in a very long time. I use ear-defenders when using a petrol garden strimmer and lawn mower.

5. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      @JurgenG "To plug or not to plug, that is the question". The debate around the pros and cons of this will rage on for many more days on this site. People's personal experience can only be your guide. I try not to plug unless in noisy environments. I have to test myself on the train shortly which is scaring me just thinking about but it's something I have to do in order to get back to work. Only till I try can I truly know what I should do.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The anxiety and worry that you are creating over the use of earplugs will make your condtion worse. Try to relax. Read my post Hyperacusis, As I see it. You might find my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, help too. Click on mhy "started threads, it's in the list. There other articles on positivity also.

Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So what do you mean? If you feel it's too loud it probably is? And it's better to be safe?
      Or is there a good chance that "too loud" is actually not damaging in any way? If you know what I mean.

Peaks like 95 dB actually "hurt" now, as before I probably wouldn't have felt them, and everything above 75 is precieved as loud to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      "IF it feels to loud then it probably is". But I don't think it would do any damage in the short term expsure. Go with how you feel. Try not to use earplugs too often.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So it's fair to say that overusing earplugs and making my ears more sensitive to sound could actually worsen T?

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes. I believe overusing earplugs could make tinnitus and hyperacusis worse, as the auditory system isn't being exposed enough to normal everyday sounds, that over time helps to desensitise it.

Michael

11. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      You should clarify that This worsened hyperacusis you often mention is a temporary effect - once you remove protection the brain gets the normal sound level again and after some time - minutes usually it's back to normal

This has been verified by studies where they had people wear plugs 24/7 for a whole week

No one ever got permanent H from over protection - so people should not be scared to screw up things in a non- reversible way by wearing protection although hearing T is not going to be pleasant during the more silent times.

Noise damage on the other hand is very often non-reversible

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I first want to say that I do not like to be curt when addressing people. Since you have been that way with me, I shall respond in kind.

I disagree with your analysis having had tinnitus for twenty-one years and not just two. I once had very severe hyperacusis that has been completely cured and mentioned this many times in this forum. People can access this information in my “started threads” I have counselled people with tinnitus and some with severe hyperacusis and believe my account and treatment for this condition to be correct.

I have never said over protecting the ears will cause hyperacusis. However, I believe if one already has the condition the overuse of hearing protection can make the hyperacusis worse and in many cases permanent if they continue on this path - which some members do in this forum that follow advice to insert earplugs and reach for earmuffs at the slightest hint of loud sound. This practice induces fear and reinforces the negative thinking that normal everyday sounds in the environment are harmful which they are not. Hearing protection used correctly can be beneficial but like anything, if used to excess can prevent the habituation process of tinnitus and the healing of hyperacusis.

I have said my piece on this subject and will not be commenting further. I have covered the use of hearing protection many times in this forum and in my post: Hyperacusis, As I See It, in the link below.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

13. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Michael Leigh

"in many cases permanent if they continue on this path"

Micheal, I challenge you to find one scientifically based study confirming this assumption of yours.

Millions sleep with earplugs and no one woke up with permanent hyperacusis

• Agree Agree x 1