How Do Impoverished Severe Hyperacusics Survive?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sen, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      It seems a lot of people with severe hyperacusis have the money or at least the means to keep themselves afloat. I'm not a part of that group. I have very little money, no skills or education past high school, and no way to earn a living. I currently survive on the scraps I'm thrown by social assistance, but this is not enough to afford reasonable accommodation for my illnesses, let alone any treatment. I am currently looking into fixing my jaw to see if that can alleviate any of my symptoms, but I can barely even afford a consultation.

I currently live with my parents, but almost all of my money goes toward paying them for rent and food. Their house is relatively quiet, but I will not be able to afford such accommodation when it comes time to leave one day.

I've considered online college courses or attempting to start a business online, but I have a limit to the amount of typing I can do each day due to chronic pain in my hands and wrists. I could also probably get some sort of treatment for this, but again, this requires ongoing expenses that I cannot afford.

To top it all off, I am beginning to experience symptoms in my eyesight.

I worry about my future quite often. I have no idea where I will go or how I will manage. What do people with severe, isolating hyperacusis do when they live in poverty?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      My god, am I glad I'm living in The Netherlands where there still is a social and health care system that helps people like you.

My suggestion: try and find a girl through the internet in The Netherlands that suffers from the same condition, marry her and move over here.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I live in Canada, so it's not as bad as it could be, but we still have to pay for food, accommodation, audiology, dental and physiotherapy.

Basically the universal health care only covers a certain spectrum of things, and everything else is up to the patient, including most medication.

Disability compensation gives you scraps to live on. I have no idea how poor disabled people manage to survive in this country.

4. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Why in the hell do your parents charge you rent? Shouldn't they accommodate you for free?

You write well, use that skill and sell it to someone.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      They aren't made of money either. It costs them money for me to live here, so I provide compensation. It is less than I would be paying a landlord, believe me.

I mentioned in my original post that the amount of typing I can do each day is limited by my chronic pain. I also can't just "sell" writing, particularly if I have nothing to say. There is no market for writing for the sake of writing, and I'm not even a very good writer to begin with.

6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Move to Alberta, there disabled people get $1500 per month and are allowed to earn up to $800 working part time doing whatever. Alberta is still Canada. Cheers.

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I live in the Netherlands.
      Unfortunately I have a different experience.
      I can not compare one country with another because I have lived in only two countries. But if you have tinnitus, hyperacusis or other difficult to diagnose, yet debilitating afflictions, It is not accepted as being a disability.
      I have to pay for everything myself. And if I can't pay for it that's tough luck. I can get insurance, but this only means I pay for everything upfront. Insurance companies are there to make money.
      A first step is maybe find people in your country with the same worries? Tinnitus Talk could be a catalyst?

8. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Hmmm..... In the Netherlands everybody has a right to 'bijstand' of 1000 euro's a month. You can rent a house (sociale huurwoning) and get extra money to pay the rent and extra money to pay for medical insurance.

I haven't had to pay one bill relating to my tinnitus treatment.

9. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Start dropshipping or private labeling on amazon.

I have started this business as being a student most jobs are very loud, I'm making a really decent amount far more than if i was working in a bar or such.

10. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      I believe this to be good advice but it does cost money up-front. Maybe Kane can iterate some of the costs involved.

I think FBA (private labeling on amazon) is an oversaturated market now. Maybe Kane can refute this though. I couldn't find any gaps in the market.

Also check out the silent jobs thread.

I've also been tinkering with the idea of silent manufacturing.

11. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Start up costs could be around $1000-2000 depending on what you are selling. You could expect to be making $5000- 7000 monthly in gross profit after the first 6 months- if you work incredibly hard and grow th business as fast as possible. That is a modest target

Gaps in the market do exist and it is lucrative, it took me over 100 hours to find my first product but I found one!

The key strategy is not to find some star product that will make you a million rather it is about getting as many high quality products to market as possible. You can be making around 500-1000 dollars a month per product you can imagine how big you can scale that. You could easily mange 15-20 product listings by working full time yourself and that is my future goal. (20,000/ month)

One thing is that with dropshipping you dont have to handle any goods. With private labbeling, you will have deliveries practically every week. You will then have to package it all yourself, if thats not too much noise for you then youre good.

After the first 2-3 months you can hire people (school kids will take 4 or 5 dollars an hour) to just work out your garage packing your stock every couple of days so you can spend less time around noise.