How Do You Cope? Having Dark Days 4.5 Months In

Discussion in 'Support' started by DCM, May 27, 2017.

1. DCM

DCM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 12, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire Exploding
      Hi there

Going through today 4.5 months. How in the hell do you cope?

I am feeling this is with me for life now. It consumes me. No improvement in about 2 months.

Best

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Not easy, one day at a time. I find keeping busy helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      @DCM I'm exactly 4 months in as well. Sometimes I feel like I've habituated, but then my nightly 3 hour sleep reminds me otherwise. It's tough, daunting. I feel incredibly depressed and frankly I currently really hate my life. I can't believe the human body was designed to have this noise that causes unbelievable anxiety and robs one of enjoyment in life.

I'm not sure if I'm fully coping, but I do keep busy. I try to exercise, get lost in books/movies I like, and focus on the positives in my life, mainly my supportive fiance, loving friends/family, and the simple pleasures like eating a meal I enjoy. They don't exactly hide the misery I feel, but they make it... somewhat easier to deal with I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Carla57

Carla57 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      4 months really, try 4 years. This is the rest of your life.the sooner you understand and accept that the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Early days, things will improve in the way you perceive it. X

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @DMC,
      Tinnitus can be hard to adapt to and the unwanted emotions can be just as hard and getting enough sleep.
      You might get good and bad days or different sounds and make you feel up and down while you try to figure out what's happening to you.
      Your tinnitus could go away and having hearing tests done and a MRI and ears looked into can rule out any causes .
      How you feel now will change as you adapt to your sound and find out what your main base sound will be and you could have it in one or both ears or head.
      Getting enough sleep helps a lot and keeping well and trying go about your day as normal and trying stay positive and calm and not letting your mood drop.
      Fresh air is a great mood lifter and outside sounds to help mask your tinnitus.
      We are here around the clock to support you.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    7. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      It took me about 8-9 months to habituate...22 years ago...

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Hadassah
      Bookworm

Hadassah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      DCM ~
      I'm very sorry you're having a tough time with tinnitus. I think for many people who have habituated, they have forgotten - or minimized - how terrible the first several months can be. Although I've had tinnitus since last summer, it didn't become severe until the first part of this year.

I'm a professional counselor and I was struggling to stay completely focused on each client session, as sometimes, my tinnitus would spike, making concentration problematic. I was able to get hearing aids which have helped me a great deal. Honestly, I'm still in the process of habituating and have difficult days now and then ... Even times when I feel slightly panicked over this.

BUT, the good news is, there ARE things you can do to help .... Reading, spending time with friends and family, exercising/physical activity, hobbies ... Anything positive can help! In addition, I'm going to challenge you to replace any "I can't do this" thoughts with "I can do this", "I can get through this - I know because I've done it before!", "I don't like this, but it won't always be as loud as this", "I am more powerful that my tinnitus", etc. This may sound like bunk, but it really does work .... I know because it's working for me. Giving in to helpless, fearful thoughts only makes the tinnitus louder and more controlling.

Again, I'm very sorry you're struggling. You can do this! Is it easy? NO! Is it possible? ABSOLUTELY!!

Prayers for peace and good rest! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Same here, balance problems, caused by damage probably viral to left ear, tinnitus so loud 24/7 nearly 8 months now , I had no stress in my life before far from it, now I dread each day, I go to sleep with the screeching/ generator with the aid of alcohol or sleeping tablets and wake up to the same, never a second of relief, the NHS E N T have been a total let down and have basically told me to get on with it, nice!