How Do You Cope with Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lyra Belacqua, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

right now I could really need some help. Actually, it is not the Tinnitus which is driving me nuts at the moment but the anxiety. I am afraid that my Tinnitus might get worse (which really happened in the past, but it also got better again).

But I just had a painful ear infection and that did not help at all, my anxiety got really bad and I do not really know what to do against it. Does anyone of you have some tips / help / coping strategies?

The only thing which really helps me to feel better is wearing ear plugs (from my headphones but without music) because then I somehow feel "protected" which of course is quite silly and also I cant go around in daily life with headphones all the time. And then I also do feel crazy :( But my anxiety is not always that bad, over winter it got really better but now it is just really awful again.

So I would be glad for any recommendations :)

Thanks for reading,
      Lyra

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      It can be difficult, I find it helpful to get outside in the sun as much as possible, it's the end of winter here and I think that contributed to my recent spike. It's been raining here all day and I find myself filled with anxiety. I wish I could offer better solutions but sometimes it just takes time and I can assure you as you probably already know, better days will come. As the end of the day approaches I look forward to trying to sleep as well as possible and have hope tomorrow will be even just a little better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      yes, I think that is a good idea and you are right, the past week I spent a lot of time just in my room because I was sick and I think maybe this is the reason why my anxiety got so bad. It was quite silent so I could listen to my Tinnitus a lot and so I started worrying and so the Tinnitus seemed worse and so I worried more and so on... :( Tomorrow I will try to spend some time outside and I am taking little steps and hopefully it will get better! :)

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Lyra,
      Understanding a little about anxiety can help.
      It's a build up of emotions that come together quick and fast and not knowing how to deal with it that causes panic etc.

Just lying down on the sofa with one hand on your chest and one on your stomach and some controlled deep breathing can help.
      Breath in slow and let your stomach rise to the count of 3 slowly and breath out to the count of 4 slowly and repeat until you are relaxed will help.
      Make time to do this in your day when having a bit of a wobble as really helps.

Also if your anxiety Keeps you thinking things in your head over and over again,
      Tell your self STOP and don't dwell on the past or try predict the future and bring your self back to now and do the breathing exercise above....lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      thank you!! I just tried the breathing exercise yesterday evening and a few times today and it helps me!! And I also went out today and enjoyed the sun and I am starting to feel better :) With overthinking things it will take a while but I try to not do it too often and I try to stop, and sometimes it works :) I just Need to Keep working on that because I tend to overthink everything :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can add something to that, too!

for me a STOP-Sign as visualisation helps. Or a Diary with the Days from your past, from red (bad day) over yellow (the day was okay) to green (good day) which u can look at, when u think, the T consumes u.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Johnnysback

Johnnysback Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ive had a panic disorder since my mom died and i definitely can relate to what u go through as i have t as well. I used to get so dizzy from my anxiety i felt like walking straight was a battle.
      I tend to think of anxiety as a pot of boiling water that is constantly being heated. Anxiety at its worst the water will boil over and spill hence a full blown panic attack. Keep anxiety low the water is still hot but not boiling...but anxiety can creep up and start to boil again. It has a tendency to always be there with me but how u react to it turns the heat up.
      I use theanine with relora to sleep at night and i use exercise every day to destress. Im at best when im enjoying the things that make me happy hobbies, pc gaming, guitar. Spending time dwelling on anxiety is the devil. I will take time outs by laying down and breathing excercises. If i tend to check my pulse and get anxious ill turn my attention to something else and it will disappear....eventually. The better you get at ignoring it the faster it will be to let symptoms go away. Funny thing is when i dwell on my t i usually forget about my anxiety. Also my therapist encouraged me to embrace it...dont hide from it. All my loved ones and friends know i have occasional anxiety. When i have a moment they are aware of whats happening and are understanding. The downplaying of the moment makes it into no big deal just a time out. Having a panic attack or anxious moments in public is what sufferers fear most so take away the surprise. Hope this helps

• Helpful Helpful x 1