How Do You Cope with Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ultraviolence, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ultraviolence
      Cheeky

ultraviolence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello there.

I have had a mild case of tinnitus in my right ear for almost two months now, and I still can't seem to find a way to get over it mentally.

During the course of the last couple of years , I have had numerous problems with my ears. At first, the doctors thought it was something viral that was causing the ear pressure and headaches, but then they decided it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction that was the culprit and gave me a box of Claritin and sent me on my way. About a year later and no improvement, I knew that I would have to try a different path to find a cure. So, I ultimately opted to have a somewhat new balloon surgery to open the tube up, and there was only a slight improvement in my hearing. Eventually, I just decided to give up and start to move on with my life, instead of spending every moment worrying about it. Unfortunately, that isn't what happened.

A ringing in my right ear became noticeable about a year after the surgery, and I couldn't seem to make it stop. This kind of whistle-like noise has appeared before, but it usually was rare and lasted for only a couple of seconds. Anyway, now it's been two months and my doctor just gave me some medication to try, and I can't help but feel hopeless about the future. I hope it goes away, but honestly I don't think it will.

Thank you for reading this, and any advice on how to make the necessary adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      All of us have faced the same issue. You are not alone, it is something that is new and a bit scary at the same time. You will need time to adjust to your tinnitus. Time and lots of support and love can be very helpful for those, that suffer from tinnitus. We simply cope by just doing our best, to live a simple life. Tinnitus is annoying, but It should not stop anyone from living their lives.

It takes patience , practice and understanding to live a productive life. Acceptance and NOT resistance is how I deal with my tinnitus. Do understand that mine, will never go away. So why should I fight it daily and give myself a headache? Your case could be different, your tinnitus might get lower in intensity and the sound might even go away. There is no guarantees, when it comes to tinnitus.

I do know this much, fighting it and stressing yourself out, can make it worst and further annoy you. Be calm, relax. Gain support and lots of love and do know that you do not walk alone, we all walk with you and we support each other here :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am 8 months in and I wouldnt say I cope yet. I would say I endure the tinnitus. I still get very down over it but I push forward as best I can.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @ultraviolence

Tinnitus can be difficult to deal with in the early stages but usually improves with time. Many people do habituate to the condition within the first 6 to 18 months of onset. There are various treatments that can help this process but treatment is not always necessary as this depends on a number of factors. Please click on the links below and read my posts: New to tinnitus what to do and Tinnitus, A Personal view.

I also advise that you to click on the following link, which is a Webinar discussion on CBT given by @Dr. Hubbard who is a member of this forum. It is 90 minutes long and encourage anyone that had tinnitus to listen to it because it is very interesting, even if they have habituated to their tinnitus as I have: https://www.cbtfortinnitus.com/webinar

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ultraviolence
      Cheeky

ultraviolence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @fishbone @Michael Leigh

thank you both so much! It definitely helps to know that I'm not alone in this.

Have a great day.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      For me the busier I am the less bothered I am by my tinnitus. Sitting home is the worst thing but I am at the point now where I just tolerate it and refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment of life. As fas as I am concerned it beats MS, ALS, blindness and any number of life changing debilitating diseases and conditions. If this is the worst that life deals me, I feel pretty fortunate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Has there been any improvement in this 8 month span?

8. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope, none whatsoever :(

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What does your T sound like?
      Can you hear it over the TV? Running water? everyday sounds?

10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can't describe it, but it is super high pitched, I can't hear it over running water/the shower, but I can hear it over the tv, and most other sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :(
      how awful, give yourself more time and i am sure you will get better. You are young and you have that working for you.

12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know it won't get better volume wise, I have given up that hope months ago....just pray it won't get worse.

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it will get better..it wil just take a while, just avoid hazardous/loud sounds.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ultraviolence
      Cheeky

ultraviolence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah, that is exactly how mine is. I can't even sit down and read a book, because it gets to be too distracting. But hopefully it will get better, and I have hope that yours will clear up too :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Keep having faith. I could hear mine in the shower. I thought that the volume going down was a doomed dream. Then in October I suddenly couldn't hear it in the shower. Such a relief. It still feels small because it's still so loud, but I think our T gets better even if we can't quite perceive it yet.

• Friendly Friendly x 2