How Do You Deal with Environments with Shrill/Piercing Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, May 29, 2016.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Computers, televisions, AC units that emit shrill sounds...

Would be nice to have earplugs with filters that would filter all say 8 kHz sounds from the environment..maybe an idea for a patent ;) :p

2. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Why does your computer emit a shrill sound? Mine is silent. As for an air conditioner I assume you're talking about a window-installed one. From what I understand newer models are quieter than the old ones. The worst air conditioner should sound like a loud fan, that's it. If yours is "shrill" then there is something wrong. Granted, if you are suffering from H any common sound can be horrible. Hopefully that's not the case here.

3. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I have central air and window. Both are on my nerves. There is a Haier serenity series window unit available just about anywhere. There is an extremly silent Fridgidaire ac window unit, but try to pick it up at a store. Luckily my phone is silent. Or I would be staring at the wall.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean at work place..or at over your friend's house lol

Does your central air quiet down in the evening? Mine shuts down at 10 PM and it's so wonderful to just relax then :) took me a year to understand why I prefer night time to day time lol..
      You could always read books ;)

5. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I have had six books out on the table since the start of this. One the Bible and two others from reading this forum. I haven't been able to relax long enough to open one. I have been turning my central on and going outside while it is on, turn it off when I'm inside. I live inside, I hate the outdoors, it's just too hot for me and bugs. Sometimes when I'm too sleepy to move the central is bassing away I listen, but so far it makes me so mad, I turn it off and suffer most the day in hot weather.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you do usually? I hope you will soon be able to just relax :huganimation:I can't turn my AC off, it's not my choice :arghh:

7. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I was relaxed actually until summer started, I hate summer every year usually, but my ears never bugged me before.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thought about making a thread about shrill environment sounds but googled ac units tinnitus and found this thread I had already made lol

9. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      For computer monitors and TVs you need to turn the brightness up.

As for other equipment it comes down to the quality of the power supply. It's pot luck with power supplies. Some will squeal, others won't.