How Do You Know If Someone Is Cured or Habituated in This Forum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by papu, Sep 19, 2015.

1. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I really think its because their posting and comments go way down with time and eventually fade away

Examples

MPT and of course dannyboy. He used to post so much now its way down (I loved everything he posted even his copy paste editorials). I myself find that now that I am getting better (you could call it that I habituated or getting actually cured) posting less and less and looking in the tinnitus forum less and less. I think its because you start to regain your life again. I just hope that people that do get better or get cure or habituated still contribute something to the site and not just fade away.

What do you think?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Danny boy and Mpt were cured - no habituation necessary.

3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      There's still a lot of members here that suffer very badly every day but are not posting much.
      One of the reasons it that they are labeled as either weak or unwilling to habituate so after awhile it's just easier to shut up and stop trying to prove the point.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Or maybe it's because people are looking for something that somebody can tell them about what they can do to get better, but there's really not much that can be done. So they're looking for hope but they don't find it. If you go to a dry well every day for water and there's none there, eventually you stop going to the well.

I agree with @valeri that it can be discouraging to realize you haven't made very much progress towards habituation. I personally think that for many of us, the same brain dysfunction that creates tinnitus also prevents us from habituating.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I hope members still keep posting even if carnt habituate to their tinnitus and not seen as moaning murtles if not coming to terms with their tinnitus.

We do hear good news posts that help to give members a glimmer of hope and one less person to have tinnitus take over their life .

Weather you do or do not habituate to your tinnitus still push hard to stay happy and keep doing what you love .....lots of love glynis

6. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      I agree with all of you. My gut reaction was because they are better and learned to live with it but after readig your
      posts I realized you are right about not posting much even if you are still as bad off as you were in the beginning. I've had tinnitus 5 1/2 years. I was on another board constantly the first 2 years, then the people I started posting with all disappeared, they pretty much all learned to live with it and I was still suffering very much. I'm happy for them but really wonder what is wrong with me that I have taken very few steps in all these years and it got very discouraging. I hated to be a "debbie downer", if you will, but I am so why post. Nothing is ever going to change for me. If 5 1/2 years, nothing changes you kind of give up. If it weren't for my son I'd be out of this world long ago and I certainly still think about suicide daily.

• Hug Hug x 3
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sura,
      Have you had any counselling at all to deal with your feeling or on medication ?
      If you feel suicidal daily then you should be seeking support for it to help you cope with the sound better .

Tinnitus is tough going but we are in charge of what makes us happy and you have to still believe you can still enjoy your life even with our naughty ears.
      Stay strong....lots of love glynis

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      The gist of it is ---New people come here distressed and looking for answers. Some stay but in time (some quickly, some over a matter of months), a majority of them leave and almost never post again.

I think most get better in some way and move on with their lives. This seems to be the normal cycle.

I have seen this pattern for the last few years and it always repeats with different new people. You do have the die hards and long timers (with T) who stick around.

9. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Your situation is obviously serious, and it sounds to me like you're a candidate for Trobalt. Have you considered it? Are you able to find a physician who will prescribe it for you if she/he determines that this is a medication you can take?

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies