How Long Between Trauma and Start of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jodi, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi, I wonder about symtoms after experiencing a loud bang (firecracker). I did'nt notice any symptoms in connection, more than of course serious anxiety. Now it's over 72 hours since exposure, and I think my T is louder, i.e. harder to mask, but when plugging my ears I can't tell if there is a difference between old T and possibly new/worse T.

QUESTION: When you got your noise induced T, when did you notice this new/louder T? Could it take a few days before your brain "turns up the volume" on those missing frequencies?

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      in my case it was more or less instantaneous, but I have read many reports where there's a 3-to-14 day lag between noise and T.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I'm of course hoping that what happened is my brain is "just not" ignoring T as easily for the moment, because my brain experienced a threatening incident, which would be in par with some established theories... *crossed fingers*

4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      it took 3 days to settle in for me. or at least until I noticed it. my left ear hurt the next morning. I mentioned to a coworker my ear hurt after a concert. he mentioned how he hates when his ring after a show. as soon as he said it, I noticed it.

5. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      From reading and participating in an older thread here on TT it seems quite common for there to be a delay from time of noise damage to permanent T setting in - days to couple of weeks quite often. I had hearing loss next day after a concert and T started 17 days later.

6. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      A bit different from the rest of you as mine was prescription drug induced, but it took a year from starting it for tinnitus to start and a further 6 months after that to become severe (In total, I took it for 2 years before doctors were prepared to acknowledge it as the cause). It is now over a year since I stopped taking it and in that time it has approximately halved in perceived amplitude. I remain hopeful that given enough time, it will halve again.

7. mikejohnno
      Thinking

mikejohnno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 21st 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Yeah, two days later I noticed mine.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It was 11 days for me, but there might be a connection to a hearing test. I had my hearing test 11 days after my acoustic trauma, and got T on the evening of that day.