How Long Does Eardrum Take to Heal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajith, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      I had an injury with very sharp instrument (see picture).

IMG_20171126_130217.jpg

Last October 2nd. It bled and stopped the very next day. Since then I am having tinnitus. Met ENT doctor a week after and he told me that there is no injury or even a scratch to your eardrum. But I seriously doubt there will be a minor hole or scratch in my eardrum. I am having no hearing loss apart from this buzzing sound.

Usually how long does this type of injury take to heal? Is there anyone here who had similar kind of trauma happened to their ear?

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It depends on the extent injury. I've had a lot of injections in my ears and that will usually take less than two weeks to heal. In fact it will start healing within days for most people. I would expect larger perforations would take longer to heal, but eardrums are pretty good at healing themselves.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
    4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't know if this may ever heal. Have you had improvement? If it's bad enough (which I doubt it is considering the doc said it's fine), then you COULD get a "ear reconstruction surgery" to have your eardrum fixed. Just know there may be some options.

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      1. Get second opinion
      2. Your eardrum will heal within days to weeks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Yes, As Iam working in a Maldivian island now, to get a second opinion is very difficult. However ,I quit my job and going back India this December. Want to see what doc have to say after inspection. On phone consultation,he told it might be a scar or blood clog on eardrum.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      If its that much bad injury, my hearing will be severely distorted ,rgt? I personally feel iam getting better but when getting depressed or thinking too much, ringing shoots up. Also have a sensation of sharp shooting pain in my ears at times. I also noticed that turning my neck to its limit increases the sound and pushing the jawline makes it reduce. I think Iam having more psychological issue than physical :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Pushing the jawline makes it reduce for me too. For me it's because I have a misaligned jaw. Maybe it's correcting something in your eardrum for you. Definitely get a second opinion.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Sure. Thanks a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      On 1st october 2017, while I was on duty ,I felt itching in my left ear. My foolishness, what I done was ,used a rubber pencil to get rid of my itchiness. Unfortunately the rubber at the tip of pencil broke off n struck inside.
      I gone panic and what I done was, poured water inside my left ear to get the rubber out. But it didn't came off. Then I searched for ENT doctor in the hospital For my bad luck, he was on leave.

Just near to the physio room , there was dentist who was my friend. I asked him to check whether the rubber is still inside my ear or not.
      He told he can take it out and inserted a sharp tool of his trade, into my left ear.I felt severe pain deep inside and started to bleed. He said sorry and told me that may be rubber gone deep inside into ear . Have to wait until ENT doctor comes back.
      That night it was bleeding and I felt some weird sounds inside my left ear resembling formation of tenderness. The next day onwards i started to hear a mild ringing sound in my ears.My hearing was pefectly ok.
      After one week, When ENT came back ,he checked with otoscope and told me that there is no rubber inside and no damage happened to your eardrum and there is a mild swelling in your earcanal. He given me paracetamol and antibiotics and asked me to prevent water going inside ear.
      Again after one week, I consulted ENT. He examined once again and told not even a single scar is there on your ear drum. However when I complained him about annoying noise , he given me neurobion and cognix plus tablet containing piracetam,ginko balbaoe

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is common for T volume to change when moving one's neck or jaw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      After inserting this much sharp instrument and bleeding happened,i hardly can't believe how my eardrum get spared even without a scratch. I find it hard to digest. I think ENT played some trick to save his friend, dentist.

13. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      For some people it can take much longer for the ear drum to heal: mine hadn't healed after 6 weeks (doctors were wondering whether it was going to heal at all), so I took advantage that I was undergoing a stapedotomy to have my ear drum surgically patched.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Hai Guys...
      I took a short break from this forum as I was suffering with some other health issues and dont had time to care for 'T'. Meanwhile something I noticed is when Iam less concerned about 'T' ,I was least affected by it.
      However, After reaching my hometown , I made a visit to one of senior ENT'S who have examined me and told no eardrum perforation is there. He also done a microscopic examination which was normal and sent me to a audiologist. Audiogram results shows slight change in my left ear hearing comparing to right which doctor told its quite normal.
      I wonder how I got tinnitus without an injury to my eardrum.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      1. You don't know for sure your ear drum wasn't injured back when your T started (it may have healed since)
      2. There are many other ways to get T that leave an ear drum intact. They may actually be the majority of the cases.

• Like Like x 1