How Long Does It Take to Get Over an Ear Infection That Caused Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eib, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Eib

Eib Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm coming up to three weeks with an ear infection/10 days on anti biotics

Is it likely when the infection clears the T diminishes? I know in some cases its permanant. But that has to be very isolated cases right?

Anyone also have ear infections that caused it and it went?

2. castiel141

castiel141 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 3,2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I had an ear infection before and the noises I had went away as well. You just have to be patient and let your ears heal

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eib

Eib Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      thank you for replying.

how long did it take?

4. castiel141

castiel141 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 3,2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      It took 2 months to go away. The best thing to do is keep yourself busy and do things you like to do.

• Like Like x 1
    5. mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      My tinnitus brought on by an ear infection / blocked ear took 2 months to go. My was a low rumbling noise but since its gone I now got a fizz noise in my head. I think / hope its my brain trying to adapt.

6. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      mine came from an ear infection and it never went away. It got lower though. I am 99% sure they came from the drops they gave me. I had to get into see an ENT who said they gave me drops that were making my ear infection worse. I like many people went to urgent care first because ENT's don't usually have next day appointments. They gave me drops that I know made the infection worse and I am pretty sure gave me the permanent T. Make sure you get into to see an ENT.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Tonia
      Aggressive

Tonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax removal Via water removal, stress,
      What drops were you on? I'm on ciprodex

8. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown/ear infection/noise
      How's it going for you Eib?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eib

Eib Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I still have tinnitus I'm afraid. It's probably permanent BUT it doesn't distress me like it did. I'm learning to accept it. Deal with it and just generally move on.

• Like Like x 2
    10. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      It's frightening at the start and can be frightening if you experience a spike during habituation. But once you accept it and just move on with things, it can drift in the background.

Depending on how severe your T is I guess.

11. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm preparing myself for this also. I am still new to this and considering some other treatment options since I am about 2 weeks into this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry to hear you are new to T also.
      I understand how rough the first couple weeks are.

Just know it does get better. If possible, have you ears checked by an ENT. Sounds gross, but clearing of wax did reduce my tone and slightly make my T more quiet and comfortable. I don't notice as much as I used to, apart from when I have my bad days.. or a spike.

13. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the words of encouragement. The past week has been a spiraling hole into hell. The worst part is my T is mild, but I am obsessive and have always been a listener. I'm going to see my GP tomorrow (first time because we moved) and hopefully get a referral to a ENT afterwards. I called around and most of the ENT's here need a referral :/

14. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes that is me also. It's important to keep busy, keeping your mind off it really does help. So I hope you can find some closure after your ENT visit.
      My visit wasn't bad or good. He did clean my ears with professionalism, but he didn't really comfort me too much as to understanding T, although he was pretty aware of what it is.

Hopefully they can clean your ears if need be and hopefully that helps a little.
      Remember to keep busy. One day these scientists and doctors will save us :D

15. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have hope. Even if I do or don't get better I want to contribute. The past Sunday the urgent care doc said I have fluid in my ears and thinks it is a viral/bacterial infection. I am on prednisone/amoxicillin. Not sure what the GP can tell me aside from looking in my ears to say the fluid is gone and etc.. But yeah..I have hope. :)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid can cause Tinnitus, then again so can many things. Hopefully once your infection clears it will go away!

Best of luck :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. PotterBook
      Stressed

PotterBook Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/ Earwax?
      Hello All. I, too, am new to T. So new that I can't even be sure that's what is going on. My husband thinks the sound I am suddenly hearing is just the "Natural silence" you hear when you're in a quiet room (which I have heard before) but I can hear it all the time! It sounds to me like the high pitched humming sound an TV lets off when it's sitting idle, but not off. I first noticed it on Saturday, 1/21; very suddenly. I was cleaning my daughters closet out when my ear went quiet and started to ring. This has happened tons of times in my life and within about 2 minutes the sound dissipates and your hearing is fully restored. Well this time, the hearing restored and the ringing dissipated, but the "interference" in my right ear remained. It frightened me! It too, though seems to go away over the next few hours.
      Then, over the next few days, occasionally I would notice it. Now? Since last Friday it seems like the only time I don't hear it is when I first wake up in the morning. Then, I check to see if it's there, listen hard for it, and within 2 minutes I hear it again. I work in an office and I hear it all day. I hear it while in the car, I hear it while on the phone. I KNOW I'm focusing on it and therefore causing it to become louder, but its really becoming an obsession.
      I called an ENT and they can't get me in until March 24th! I was told by my GP that my ear (I don't remember which one) was impacted with ear wax like a year ago, but I was afraid to have him flush it as once before I had a doctor do that and it resulted in Vertigo. The ENT was able to take it out with a suction machine, but of course the ENT can't see me for 2 months. If I go to my GP they will flush my ear, but here is my fear.. that once it's flushed the sound will remain AND I'll have vertigo.
      I just don't know what to do. My husband wants me to stop talking about it and just ignore it, he still doesn't think anything is wrong. It's not very loud but I just can't stop focusing on it. Any advise would be welcome, and works of comfort desired.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @PotterBook hi potterbook

Seems like you have an obsession about t because you are new to it. I know its ot easy but try not to focus on it, this will become easier in time.

19. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have the wax manually removed. Impacted wax can cause a lot of issues.

They can microvacuum or manually pull it out

20. PotterBook
      Stressed

PotterBook Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/ Earwax?
      @LukeYoung Would flushing it work the same way if done by a Doctor? I'm not afraid of having it microvac'd out (I've had this done before by an ENT) but the Doc said he would flush it, and that's what I'm afraid of..

• Like Like x 1
    21. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      People have gotten T by flushing. If it's not done right they can be rough.

I had mine flushed once.. never again. They get too rough.

Ask for vacuum or manual.

22. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I just used the ear drops and it eventually gets rid of it. I wouldn't advise the vaccuuming as that is very loud and has made some people worse.

23. vanderlae
      Doh

vanderlae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2nd
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amoxicillin pill
      I hope mine gets better, I feel it in one ear, And it's very faded I barley notice it although I hope it goes away I don't want that stupid ringing in there for all my life

24. vanderlae
      Doh

vanderlae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2nd
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amoxicillin pill
      Oh btw can amoxcillin cause it?

25. LukeYoung
      Frantic

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the amoxicillin is the safe one for us. But i don't know for 100%

26. vanderlae
      Doh

vanderlae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2nd
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amoxicillin pill
      Idk how I got mine I had an ear infection plugged and ear pain, I took my pills and on wednseday in the morning, It has been ringing and tickling but Idk I will have to go back to the doctor

27. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see an ENT tomorrow. My throat still looks irritated and infected but I feel no pain. Still having some pain in ears. The ringing is quiet now, but at night its a nightmare. My left ear doesn't act up during the day at all but at night it rings and sends me off crying. No idea I have a feeling its viral. It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow.

28. Laurent

Laurent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral media otitis
      Amoxicillin is likely not ototoxic: not found yet on ototoxic drugs list (as the one below) and largely used to cure bacterial infections of babies and young children (like media otitis).

http://www.nvrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Drugs-that-Cause-HL.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    29. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Ive had T for a month now since I got an ear infection and ruptured my ear drum.

30. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Has your tinnitus gotten better? Is your eardrum healed?