How Loud Is a CT Scan? Can It Damage Hearing or Worsen Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are CT scans loud? Should I wear hearing protection?

I'm having a CT scan of my jaw and nose.
      I'm scared of making tinnitus worse.

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      CT scans are pretty quiet. The scanner moves around you and there's some beeping sounds. The scan lasts only a few minutes.

MRI is MUCH louder.

You don't probably need earplugs for CT scan, but just in case wear them anyway.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      CT scan is as loud as an xray machine that's on continuously. Which is to say, it's quieter than the noise I am making typing.

Take earplugs because people with our issues should never leave home without, but you won't need them.

One thing with CTs, if you've never had one before -- there's gonna be something weird about your anatomy, everyone who has a CT of anything is gonna show some abnormalities and incidental findings. So, just because they tell you that you have a maxillary sinus cyst or something, does not mean that's connected to your problems.

If your radiological findings lead anyone to suggest surgery of any kind, personally I would have those same films analyzed by at least two more unrelated radiologists for peace of mind.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Could a CT scan have caused an occlusion effect because I had my earplugs in????
      They laid my head in a place where you put your head in and then moved it up into the CT scan hole.