How Loud Is a Room Full of People Clapping?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Jul 25, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I was in a small presentation room for work and there was about 50 people that clapped in the room. The room was very cramped.

I tried to get out before the end but couldn't.

My ears feel full and have a burning sensation.

How loud is clapping?

Am I screwed?

I've heard it's 130 dB... That's by far the loudest noise I've been exposed to.

I'm well and truly screwed.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try not to focus on how loud the clapping was @orbiter12 as it will cause stress and anxiety. Accept it for what was and get on with your life. Worrying will only make things worse. By all means use noise reducing earplugs whenever you feel that you might be in a noisy environment but try not to get fixated on this or use earplugs too often. Continue using sound enrichment at night and during the day if possible and get something from your doctor to help with your stress and anxiety. Your tinnitus and hyperacusis will improve with time, you are still in the early stages. The fullness and burning sensation will reduce.

Please click on the links below and read my posts. If possible print them and refer to them often. They will help with your concerns about tinnitus and hyperacusis.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-questions-answers.22937/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-answers.22554/

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I just can't deal with it getting louder... I was trying to adjust to how it was now my ears feel full and I know I'm going to be dealing with unbearable tinnitus until (if it ever does) it dies down...

Should I get on prednisolone again? It will be my third course if I do.

4. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I always carry plugs with me. U should do as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I advise no prednisolone unless your Dr advises it. I believe you need medication to help with your stress and anxiety. Once this is under control your concerns about sounds, tinnitus and hyperacusis will be pushed into the background. Your stress and anxiety is giving this importance and the more you worry the more it becomes a problem. Reduce the stress and you'll feel a calmer and more relaxed person. Please click on the link and read the posts. They will help reassure you. You need to takeaway the focus from tinnitus and hyperacusis and medication will help do that in my opinion. Talk to your GP.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      which antidepressants are safe and won't increase my T?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I do. I didn't expect the clapping.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect @orbiter12 we had this discussion before and I suggested to you, take whatever your doctor advises and forget which anti-depressant makes tinnitus worse. This causes stress and it's something you should try to avoid. Your doctor will not take favourably to you telling him or her their job.

Michael

9. Björn

Björn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and meds
      The majority of doctors I have met dont know anything about ad:s and tinnitus, even if I tell them about how an ssri made my situation worse, they dont believe me, but if you do your own research there is a risk with both benzos and ssri:s, so my suggestion is to only go down that road when you are standing on a bridge ready to jump, its the last resort. Depression can be beat without medication, ad:s can make your tinnitus worse for life, a quite big risk to take. My recomendation is time, therapy and sports, go out and run every morning, just force yourself, try to meet friends in a quiet place, things like that. It may seem simple, but its very important. I wish I did that instead of trying medication out of pure desperation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect everyone is different. The benzo Clonazepam helped me immensely when my tinnitus was very intrusive and I was a breaking point. I never took it regularly only when I found it difficult to cope. If @orbiter12 Dr suggests that he should take antidepressant then I know from experience that it will help him as I can see the stress he's under. Once this is relieved he will start to feel a lot better.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Björn

Björn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and meds
      People wich have been helped by medication will recommend them, many friends pushed me to take them, and most doctors are not aware of the risks, my doctor gave me an ssri wich made my situation a lot worse, its a bit like russian roulette to take these kind of medication, especially if you already have tinnitus, people get helped by them, but many people have horrible sideeffects, and you never know before its to late, and when you are desperate enough, its easy to gamble like I did, despite the risks. I truly believe these kind of meds saves life, but it should be a last resort if you have noiced induced tinnitus like I have.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I see your point but as I said everyone is different. Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse. It becomes a vicious circle. When tinnitus starts to affect one's moods and they begin sinking into depression, the only thing that can pull them out of it is medication, when other things like: relaxation techniques, sound therapy and counselling are innefective. That is the sobering and unfortunate truth.
      Michael

13. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)

It may have been 130 dB if they all threw a firecracker while applauding. If it's not the case, I think you should relax :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club

Although I need medication to get me out of this deep mess what's the point if it's going to make my T worse. That will make my depression even worse. As always I appreciate your advise but I can't bring myself to take sometning that could make it even worse than it is now, no matter how desperate I am. I don't know much about ssri buy from research the ones I were prescribed could make things drastically worse.

Let's hope cbt and trt can't pull me out of this.

15. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Exactly, in any case it won't have reached 130dB.
      I'm with @Michael Leigh on this: try to relax :)

Also, there's is nothing wrong with putting your fingers in your ears and giving a friendly explanation afterwards why you did so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @orbiter12
      Nortryptaline ,Amitriptyline and Mirtazapine are 3 AD meds that can help reduce tinnitus for some people.
      Nortryptaline being the most tollerated with milder side effects.
      Love glynis

• Creative Creative x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      starting my 3rd course of steroids.

Sad how I can get prescribed steroids with a simple phone call 4 months after onset. but when I tried to go the day after onset when they're most useful I got refused.

shows how little GPS know about t

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect @orbiter12 The statement you have just made you have convinced yourself before even taking any medication that it's going to make your tinnitus worse. This is a typical sign of Negative thinking. I hope CBT or TRT works for you and advise you to try and change your attitude as you might have difficulty with these treatments.
      I wish you well
      Michael

19. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      This is crazy, you can't run to the doctors for steroids every time you hear a loud noise, you will life your life in fear and misery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Perhaps. Yet keep in mind that it was 50 people clapping in a cramped room. Guiness lists the *loudest* clap as 113db. This was only one person, though.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sam Bridge
      Well said Sam. It is unfortunate that Ryan has been affected in this way and I do understand his predicament. I believe his fear and distress towards the slightest increase in sound, is the direct result of reading some of the wrong and negative advice given by some people in this forum, who are paranoid about sound and the overuse of ear protection. Now we see what it has caused. Very sad.

I used to counsel someone that got so worked up over sound and hyperacusis she wouldn't leave her home. She couldn't tolerate the sound of: The washing machine, microwave, fridge or the dishwasher. It got to the point, the sound of rain falling on her conservatory glass roof caused distress. Fortunately with time her tolerance to sound improved.

If one isn't careful they can develop phonophobia - a fear of sound.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      We should also keep in mind that the average clapping is much less loud than the record breaking clap. And also that noise levels don't "addition". Not sure how to phrase it in English but you know what I mean I guess

23. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I put my hands over my ears all the time....but carry plugs for these situations as it is impractical to go to dr every time...

24. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Some people need to relax more instead of running to the doctor for steroids every time they are exposed to loud noise. You really need to address your anxiety, sorry but that is the real problem here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have been candid and honest and given the right advice. I have explained this to Ryan many times, perhaps if other members tell him the same he will eventually get some help for his stress and anxiety.
      Michael

26. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      It can't be said enough, don't over protect you rears. Of course there are times when it's necessary, power tools, gun shots, etc but day to day living...no. The more you protect the more sensitive you become to any noise. Think of it as coming out of a movie theater in the middle of the day, your eyes don't see very well. The answer is not to go back to a dark theater. Habituation means getting back to your former enjoyment of life and that doesn't include walking around with your ears plugged.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Not to mention that constant steroid use can have awful side effects. Even lower doses can cause insomnia and anxiety, which certainly isn't helpful when dealing with tinnitus.

28. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Indeed. I can't imagine a NHS gp giving someone steroids for hearing issues because they heard clapping. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Depends on how the room is setup but it's closer to 90db I did measures it a few times

It sounds loud if the room was silent to start with

But if is me I still would do a short 3 days of prednisone at 60 or 80mg just in case - such a short course is safe for a healthy person with no diabetes issues or infections

I keep some at home just in case

30. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Now now Sam that's a bit naughty...:p

• Funny Funny x 1