How loud is too loud?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Mar 17, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, as many of you know I'm doing alot better with my tinnitus, no more negative reactions, tinnitus doesn't bother me that much anymore.

BUT I'm still unsure what is too loud, when should I be wearing earplugs or not? I recently brought a PS4 games console, with battlefield 4, great game! I can play for hours at a time, the same room my brothers playing his Xbox, noise coming from all directions and sometimes (not all the time) wear earplugs because Im still weary of noise...I don't really want to tell my brother to turn it down because I don't want to be a pain in the arse...LOL!

Am I worrying too much regarding wearing ear plugs? Any gamers in worry about playing for hours on end might aggravate their tinnitus? This is something I still struggle with.

2. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Congrats on habituation! I listen to some music at night to help me sleep or I did as soon as t hit me. I put it on the lowest volume possible to make it where I could still hear the T. Don't know if that will work for gaming headphones?

3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks mate, they say you shouldn't wear headphones or earphones even at low volumes once you've got tinnitus so I don't risk it.

Don't worry dude, you will habituate in time, I am doing ALOT better than at the start that's for sure! The majority do habitutate, time helps the most.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Really!? I had no idea ahh..:( I wore some headphones at like volume 2-3 on my iPhone for the 1st week :(

I really hope I do:/ I did not have a good day and anxiety has been bad for me today and lately. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement !

• Like Like x 1
    5. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      I'm also very happy that your doing better :) sorry I forgot to add that! Congrats :3

• Like Like x 1
    6. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm not sure how accurate the no headphone rule is? I heard a man over on the BTA forum warn against it, but I'm not certain keeping it at low volumes is detrimental in any way so do whats best for you.

7. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @mick1987,

For sure we can't play battlefield on low volume, I don't blame you. :)
      But two games in one room I think it's a risk, for my self sometimes I get exited that I play it very loud.
      If you play online don't use these headset to talk with your friend. > my friend got T after using them.

• Like Like x 1
    8. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi saif, yeah I don't use the headsets anymore, to risky.

I really don't know if its too loud of not? Its at normal volume I think, its frustrating because I don't want to over use plugs in case of of sensitivity to sound, don't like the amplification of my T wearing them, but obviously need to protect my hearing, I don't know anymore?