How Many with Hyperacusis Are Having Problems with Their Own Voice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Willie Discus, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Willie Discus

Willie Discus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I have severe problems with my own voice. When I talk it vibrates in my right ear, so much so that I can’t speak too loud. If I put my hand right at the bottom of the ear and put a gentle pressure on it the vibration stops and I can talk normally.

How common is this with hyperacusis?

• Like Like x 1
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      With ear plugs in I have. And If I talk too much my ears can get tired/sore, but I don't know if that's from my own voice or the person I'm talking to's voice... or a combination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Horrorpopz

Horrorpopz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure/meds/who knows?
      Before my giant setback I was like that too, talking with plugs make it hurts more because of the occlusion effect :/

BTW at the time I had the same doubt if it was mostly my voice or others, and my conclusion was definitely my voice being worse than others, making both combined being tough after a while :/

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Horrorpopz

Horrorpopz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure/meds/who knows?
      That's really unusual to me tbh, if it was from hyperacusis, putting pressure wouldn't help at all imo...

Do you have issues with other sounds around 60-70 dB?

Wish you the best!

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I used to have something similar when my hyperacusis was really bad and it subsided in time. Basically I would hear my own voices super loud, so couldnt raise my voice. It is great for not arguing with anyone!

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I have similar problems with voice. Mine sounds like a microphone, but if ask friends does my voice sound different they say no, but to me it sounds so different. It's not all the time, it's weird and I know it's a symptom of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I think it’s pretty common.
      I still get this when my hyperacusis flares cup.
      Hope your hyperacusis cools down... don’t yell.
      Give it time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
      I have hyperacusis and tinnitus. Sometimes my voice sounds staticky to me. Ears usually feel full at the same time. If I equalize the pressure in my ears with the valsalva maneuver or clear my throat the staticky sound goes away. I also have lots of ear fullness. When this is real bad I have to constantly equalize the pressure. This is some fucked up shit.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. LanaK

LanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Concert?
      I have problems with my own voice too. It's similiar to your symptoms, @Willie Discus. When I talk, certain sounds in my speach vibrate in my worst, left ear , more if I talk louder, but sometimes even with very soft voice. Sometimes I just try to avoid certain voices like sch, ch, j, etc, the sounds that naturaly vibrate more than others, which of course makes my speaking wird or I talk very quietly.
      I have not noticed so far that pressure anywhere would lower that but I will try and see.

It's not equally severe all the time, but it is present most of the time. I have had this since last 10 months.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willie Discus

Willie Discus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yes the fact that I can stop the vibrating and to some extent the loudness of my own voice by pressuring the bottom of my ear is strange. That`s why I ask if it´s the same for anyone else, as I have not seen it in other threads.

I don´t know if it is just the hyperacusis or something else, I am thinking TTTS or something. Maybe I can put pressure on that muscle or something so it is not able to react.

If I have to talk to someone in another room I have started to automatically put my hand to my right ear. It seems to me like there is something actually vibrating in there, or reacting to sound in some other way.

This does not make the whole problem go away, sounds are still loud and uncomfortable, but it makes it easier to tolerate my own voice. I am starting to come of as quite weird though, holding my hand to my ear while I talk...