How Much Earplug Use Is Acceptable?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CDNThailand, Mar 2, 2017.

1. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I'm doing desensitization but I feel more comfortable wearing plugs when riding my moped in traffic in Thailand.

I can drive without. But just a matter of time until a loud bike, Harley or loud horn will zap me...

Lets say I wear plugs in traffic an hour a day, non consecutive, maybe ride to the beach (15 minutes plugs)then sit on beach and drive back etc....

Will that plug use reduce my sound tolerance? Or not long enough? And besides, even with plugs, it wont be silence

2. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Use earplugs when driving a moped :) You should, actually.

3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      EVERYONE should wear plugs when using a motorcycle or moped, or lawnmower, or leafblower, etc

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Will it make my ears more sensitive and sabotage my desensitization efforts?

5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Wearing earplugs in a quiet room in case the phone rings may temporarily cause a hypersensitivity issue. Wearing earplugs around a motor is just good decision making for anyone. I even use an earplug when in my car for long distances at high speeds (4 cylinder engine + road noise gets a little loud at 75mph).

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No, it's just sensible use of earplugs. Too much use of earplugs is using earplugs to open like canned stuff, or the jam jar in case it pops. That's maybe too much use. Or using earplugs for hours on end. That's not advisable either..

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think plugs get overplayed as negative thing. I use them every morning after sleeping (I sleep very well without them) because in the morning my hearing is super-sensitive, and most sound is scratchy and abrasive. I let the plugs out gradually over the course of the morning and it seems to acclimatize me to the sounds of the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Interesting, yes in have noticed also that more sensitive in the morning, then for about 2-3 hours in the afternoon ok, then sensitive at night again...

9. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I think in your situation earplugs are mandated, granted you have nothing to insulate you from your noisy vehicle and traffic noise. And I wonder if Thailand's roads would be louder.

Besides, the duration at which you use them will most likely not lead to sensitization. I wear them for as much as half the day which obviously isn't a good thing, but it's only the more extreme habits from hyperacusis sufferers, like me, where this will become a problem.

I'd say continue to do what you are doing in that particular setting, because I feel that moped and combined road and traffic noise pose a real danger to your ears

• Agree Agree x 1