How Safe Is Nurofen Sinus (and Betahistine)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jon R., Mar 30, 2017.

1. Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      I appreciate this is a tinnitus forum, and I do have tinnitus, but I also have dizziness. Back in late 2015 I took a Nurofen Sinus tablet due to a awful forehead headache, it made me feel dizzy and sick, or at least I was dizzy and sick at that time, it could be coincidence as I wasn't well with the headache as it was. How safe is the ingredients of it ? Is it a ototoxic ? It says "Phenylephrine hydrochloride" and "Ibuprofen" on the label, I only took 1 of them. I have never got rid of the dizziness since, it is up and down every day.

Also I got some 8mg Betahistine tablets from an online doctor as my GP doesn't think my dizzy problems are inner ear, but she has no idea what it is, so I thought I would get these to test. Are they safe ? I would use them 1x 8mg three times a day. Are they ototoxic or known to cause problems with the inner ear ? I have not been diagnosed with Meniere's but it hasn't been ruled out either. I am willing to try anything that is fairly safe, especially as I am getting shrugged shoulders from my GP.

Thanks all.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Betahistine tablets come in 8mg and 16mg tablets and used to treat meandered symptoms so should help with dizziness but best off your own doctor so he can monitor you.
      Betahistine or proclorperazine or Buccastem or Cinnarazine 15mg tablets can be used .

Ibuprofen can cause or spike tinnitus for some people and more so if on it a while or stronger dose from your doctor .
      I don't recommend online medication with out your own doctors treatment ...lots of love glynis.

I take Betahistine 16mg x3 a day from my menieres consultant !

3. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They gave me betahistine for T and it seemed effective at the beginning, but later my T got stronger so I skipped the dose last night. Feel better, now. I am sure to complain to my GP!
      Nurofen for me does no problems and helps me with headaches and muscle pain, which are bad, combined with T.
      You have to keep in mind that drugs affect individuals in different way.