How to Deal with Tinnitus at Home?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TomD, Aug 22, 2017.

1. TomD

TomD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slight loss of hearing in right ear
      Hello:

I am suffering from Tinnitus since March 24, 2017 and boy it hit me hard!

I am now taking a sleeping pill to sleep at night and I guess mine is not so severe as some others as I am able to get through the day at work. But when I get home from work, I have about 5 hours until bed time and the quietness of the home is driving me crazy. I am meditating and using "stop Breath and Think" app on my phone. But it's not enough. Weekends are even worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am always busy at my house, so I don't pay attention to the ringing. My tinnitus is VERY loud in both ears, but i manage to distract myself by doing things. Keeping yourself busy , is the best advice I can give you. There are many techniques one can use, to distract themselves from the noise, that the tinnitus brings.

Your tinnitus is very new as well, so its natural to have a hard time. In time it can get more manageable takes time. It's a day by day situation and I hope you feel better...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @TomD
      Maybe go for a walk in the evening and weekend when you carn't settle and will help you sleep.
      You might find local walks already run in your home town.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. Christokp

Christokp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would suggest starting an exercise routine and/or picking up a new hobby. If your an animal person maybe getting a dog would help take your mind off the T. Animals have been shown to reduce stress levels. It would also give you a reason to go on walks.

5. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      well listening to music usually does a good job of masking my T...i also play video games which takes me out of my body for a while. I would always keep some kind of sound on at home. The fan is usually on for me at a low setting when i want it to be more quiet. It may not mask the T but it makes it bearable. When i am at work i play a youtube vid of ocean sounds which helps distract me from focusing on my T while at work. Hope this helps.

6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      White noise app

7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      yeah that app is my savior...i got some great masking sounds that i recorded if anyone wants them. Please let me know.

8. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Agree strongly. The good news is it really can be pretty much ignored even when it is very loud. The bad news is that it takes a while. As fishbone says, yours is very new. Mine worried me the first few years before I started tuning it out. I just joined here a day or two ago to poke around and see if there is anything new. I will probably pretty much disappear within another day or two. Why? because right now, discussing it, I hear it louder than I have in some time. It's not louder; I am just thinking about it. It is really loud. My H is harder to ignore and was actually the primary reason I came here; nothing new on that front either.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Musicforever

Musicforever Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/19/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently developed tinitus as well so I understand how you feel. My suggestion is to always have a tv on or music or a fan (not too loud) to help drown out the tinitus noises. Silence is the worst possible thing so I always try avoiding it as much as possible. Keeping busy and having the background noise is what helps most.