How to Get Hold of Prednisone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hopeful1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      5 days back I was in a restaurant for an hour and half where music is being played with small Bose speakers. It was not loud, maybe 80 dB, never imagined it would do any damage as it was not loud at all. Before that I was in a coffee shop for 2 hours where no music was played, only people talking.

When I came home my hyperacusis has increased slightly. Tinnitus remains the same. Now the problem is I have to lower the TV volume a little bit more than before to feel comfortable.

It's been 5 days, now if I ask GP for steroids they will decline like in the past saying I need to have sudden hearing loss to be prescribed prednisone.

Can I get it online... I need get hold of a good quality prednisone.

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Too late buddy. That drug has to be taken in the first day after loud noise! Do you think it could be your mind fooling you? If you have to turn down the TV volume a little bit... who cares? Turn it down then.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      why do you want to take a drug which has absolutely zero evidence indicating it'd be helpful for your situation, and good evidence to support being overall harsh on the body, disruptive to immune function, and known in some cases to be ototoxic? Sounds to me like you're pretty anxious about what's going on; steroids will definitely make that part of things worse, for sure! Getting some good sleep right now is pretty important, and, again, steroids are not your friend in that case.

Seems like a bad idea to me. But, you can get all sorts of dangerous drugs on the internet if you google enough. Of course, they might ship you something entirely different than what you ordered.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      actually there's no good reason to think it does much for noise trauma even if you snort it off a horse's butt right after you get noise trauma'd. And, "80db" is not "acoustic trauma".

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Something is different....i dont know if it is H or uncomfortable to certain frequencies.....i can tolerate it but i feel like switching the TV off as its uncomfortable.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Yes...the sound is not loud at all...i could clearly hear a conversation from a meter away....only thing i could hear slightly loud is bass from the music...maybe the earplugs irritated my ear i dont know.

7. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @linearb

You said this in a post above "disruptive to immune function, and known in some cases to be ototoxic?"

I was just wondering, I have taken predisone over the years and it has helped me many times in the past with no problems. I always check every medication before I take it, and predisone has nothing about it being otoxic in the data sheet not even under other. ENT''s prescribe predisone all the time, and it's use to help all kinds of other health issues. I agree their are some side effects but what drugs don't, why do you feel that it's ototoxic ? Who is saying that ? I even looked on here and I could not find one person that said taking predisone caused an ototoxic problem. I did however find people that said that taking predisone after an acoustic trauma did save their hearing, and or lower their tinnitus some.

Interesting enough I did look up prilosac that I have been taking every day for my acid reflux for 15 years now, and that does say it's ototoxic but I never had a problem with it either. I would bet that if you looked up most of the medications out there you would say that it's ototoxic. somewhere in the body or under other on the data sheet.

I'm not trying to be difficult here I just don't understand it. Besides, how would a person even know if they were having an ototoxic reaction, a spike, from the acoustic trauma, or just having a bad tinnitus day ?

But I do respect your efforts to try and help out as I know you always do.

Louie

Quietatnight

PS: I tried to end this message to you through a PM, but you have that feature blocked.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      limited reports, I've seen steroids get the tinnitus finger on some lists:
      http://www.fortmyersbeachtalk.com/p...ar-drugs-can-cause-hearing-loss.html?nav=5048
      http://www.nvrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Drugs-that-Cause-HL.pdf
      http://www.sanuthera.com/drugs-that-cause-tinnitus-ototoxic-medications/

Of course, many things can cause tinnitus in rare cases. If you've already taken it for good reason I certainly wouldn't be overly concerned -- I've taken prednisone in the past. As far as I can tell, psychotic reactions are actually more common than ototoxicity, and that is still very rare.

I mostly was trying to make the point, "there's no good reason to think this will help in this case, and several reasons to think it might be harmful".

I'm skeptical about anecdotal reports of just about anything helping with tinnitus, because spontaneous recovery is not that uncommon, and my read of the actual blinded/placebo controlled data looked a bit dismal (outside of SSHL, which is sort of its own animal). If I woke up tomorrow with a random unilateral 30db low frequency loss, I'd probably take it. Not so much for a noise trauma.

Personally I'd be uncomfortable take prilosec for an extended period, but that's got nothing to do with my hearing and everything to do with the adverse reaction I had to it (absolutely insane rebound reflux after using it for only a few weeks), along with what I've learned about my own reflux... but everyone's GI system is different, and that's such a commonplace drug at this point that it doesn't especially alarm me. Interestingly, my wife and I were both able to discontinue PPI and antacid use by following the Chris Kresser ACV protocol (https://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps/) -- that's pretty woo-woo by my reckoning, but it "worked", so... this is on my mind because I had an unusual GERD flare tonight, pounded a bit of ACV in water and was fine 10 mins later, in fact I'd forgotten about it until I saw this post.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      But my original question remains....how can i get hold of prednisone or persuade my GP to prescribe it.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand how you feel @Hopeful1 but I don't think self medicating is a good idea especially buying online as you don't know what's in the medication. Prednisone raises blood sugar levels. Your hyperacusis needs proper treatment and you know the kind I mean. Wearing white noise generators and counselling.
      Keep away from loud sounds. If a person has hyperacusis, depending on how severe it is, sound levels as low as 40 decibels and even someone talking can cause the tinnitus to spike.

Best of luck
      Michael

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thanks Micheal...I am going through TRT and i got white noise generators with me...i guess i need to use them more often ......i am only using them when my Tinnitus is annoying me once or twice a week for an hour each time.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good to hear that you're on a TRT programme Hopeful1. You're a smart guy so I'm not going tell you how to suck eggs. However, I'm very surprised that you are not wearing the white noise generators correctly for up to 10hrs a day. If you don't follow the treatment it isn't going to work.
      I have written many articles on TRT and how to use wngs etc, so you can always read them by clicking on my "started threads"
      Take care
      Michael

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      :)
      Haha 10 hours a day means using in the office and all my collleagues asking about whats behind my ears..so i am wearing only before sleeping for an hour(not every day)....i am a bit worried if prolonged use may cause hearing damage.....but i will slowly increase.....they have not told to wear any specfic hours so was doing very less time.....they are behind the ear WNG and not sure if am ok wearing them in the office and i spend most of my day in office.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I fully understand how you feel @Hopeful1 and suspected the reason you don't wear the WNG for up to 10hrs a day was because they attract attention. People automatically assume you're hard of hearing. I felt exactly the same when I wore them 20 years ago but found a solution. I bought two private in-ear white noise generators to use when I'm away from home.

They are very discreet and can hardly be seen. I bought two MM10 , they are the smallest in-ear white noise generators. http://www.puretoneretail.net/tinnitus.html other types are available too. You don't need the digital types just the normal 60db output. They are expensive but your health is more important and they will treat your tinnitus and completely cure your hyperacusis, providing you use them correctly. Slowly build up the wearing time to 1ohrs a day and use a sound machine by your bedside at night. Believe me it works.

Michael

15. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @linearb

Did you ever get my Email, I sent it yesterday. I was just not sure that I had your correct email address. You seem to have 2.

Louie

Quietatnight

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus: