How to Learn Not to React Negatively to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LouisM, Dec 7, 2018.

1. LouisM

LouisM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss
      Hello. My long term low level non-bothersome t spiked dramatically almost 3 years go. I was in such bad shape because when it spiked, my reaction to it was so bad that I physically felt sick and could barely eat. My anxiety was through the roof. Mine didn't start getting better until I changed my reaction to the spikes. I had to teach myself not to react, which is what I read about but it didn't make any sense.

How can I not react to this horrid high pitch hissing that is driving me crazy? I saw Terry's video www.backtosilence.com which explains that when you react differently, the tinnitus shifts from the limbic system to the prefrontal cortex. This is where the brain can re-categorize the t and classify it as a non-dangerous sound and put it on the back burner, out of the way.

Also, I was afraid to take any medications thinking it might make my t worse but due to my bad depression I finally gave in and started taking nortriptyline and it helped me alot. I wish I had started it sooner.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      look forward to the future of biomedical research, The University of Michigan and Neuromod are making brain stimulation devices that should lower the volume of tinnitus and they are being tested in the Clinic now!

Not to mention bio companies like Frequency Therapeutics are already in the clinic with medicines to regenerate hearing cells, and evidence is suggesting reducing hearing loss will also reduce tinnitus. This is really exciting, not to mention Decibel Therapeutics and Otonomy are working on on hearing loss trials as well starting soon.

Help is on the way, we good things going for us.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      This all sounds very promising, I've not really researched anything. Just sorted of accepted that there isn't a cure and there never will be, in my lifetime at least. But I do trust in academics and scientists, there are some incredible minds at work out there.

RE the back to silence video, I get the impression the most crucial part is just not engaging with the T at all. Rejecting any urge to listen to it or analyse it. It's very difficult.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      you listen to ENT's and audiologist that don't even pay attention to research. They are the ones that are going to get surprised when a treatment does come. Maybe not a total cure but I'm sure they'll find ways to reduce tinnitus and improve hearing within 5-10 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      Hope you're right my friend, I really really do.

6. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Not reacting to tinnitus is like not reacting to being continuously punched in the face.

It is truly sad, that here we are in year 2018 and metaphorically speaking, tinnitus sufferers are basically being told to get used to be punched in the face by these people.
      Yet we put a man on the moon some 50 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Fingers crossed for Neuromod - We need to get these devices if they work out to so many folks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Bimodal stimulation is probably crap. We want our hearing back.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I personally agree that my hearing back is more important...

but I'm not going to turn down a device that helps the suffering, uh dude want to focus on a MPP podcast?

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I do hope neuromod start making some more really positive noise about this device if it really works. Why no big press statements in the real world?!? Why has nobody but us even heard of this thing?!?

It’s worrying that they’re drumming up customers here but not making any bold statements anywhere else. I mean I don’t expect a fucking leprechaun leaping around a pot of gold with a banner saying ‘Tinnitus cured!’ but some kind of ‘we can offer meaningful relief to millions of T sufferers’ article would be grand.

Come on Neuromod! Let’s see some brazen confidence in your tongue tingler if the little bastard works.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Last time they released there was plenty of press involvement - this time they may be doing things the other way around...