How to Navigate This Ringing World?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jefferson Nunn, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jefferson Nunn
      Torturous

Jefferson Nunn Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Toxic Mold Exposure
      I've had tinnitus for a while but I was majorly focused on the pains from the mold exposure. That pain seems to be coming under some control or reducing greatly now.

My next focus is to try to fix this 24/7, 4 frequency set of ringing in my ears. I've seen two different ENT doctors, both who basically threw up their hands and said that there is nothing that can be done.

When I read through these forums, I feel that I am less than qualified to understand what treatment options may or may not work. I would really like to work with a qualified doctor or individual to understand what my tinnitus might be and how to treat it using various options.

Where do I even go for that?

2. Kindjordan

Kindjordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      In my brief experience, ENT doctors throw up their hands and give you a clinical diagnosis..nothing can be done. It would be advisable to see a Dr. of Audiology who specializes in Tinnitus. Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, hearing aids, and anxiety meds are some of the tools.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jefferson Nunn
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Toxic Mold Exposure
      I wear hearing aids already. Doesn't do crap. Already did Ketamine Infusion. I have zilch for anxiety now. Possibly less pain.

TRT seems kinda hokey but I'm willing to try. How do I find an Audiologist in Dallas that may be covered by my insurance that does Tinnitus? It seems like a huge impossibility.

On top of that, I see 100+ different things on these forums. How do I sort through all of that?

4. Zud

Zud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Good question, although there seem to be a range of potentially effective treatments for tinnitus (TRT; steroids; supplements; laser treatments etc.) it's quite surprising how poorly documented they are. On my internet research outside tinnitustalk, it seems that sufferers have needed a variety of treatments in order to overcome or mitigate it successfully. My advice is to research and research, as frustrating as that sounds. I've half a mind myself to start my own wiki so that people can get a fighting chance at getting a comprehensive list of remedies instead of spending hours trying to extract them from hundreds of forums.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jefferson Nunn
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Toxic Mold Exposure
      There doesn't seem to be a checklist or anything like that to run down. I definitely don't want to be like that guy that convinced the surgeon to chop his auditory nerves and ended up with 130db ringing.

With 100+ different treatments that people have tried, it's hard to get a handle on this. And I am no expert.

6. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      We're all in the same boat. There is no definitive cure or treatment, so it's all trial and error. What's frightening that an error can carry tremendous consequences. And that's what the outside world just doesn't get it. I doubt there is ever gonna be a definitive list of treatment opinions, if it's not even possible to pinpoint the cause of one's ringing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      If Tinnitus Talk had a sticky or FAQ at the top (maybe it does and I haven’t seen it) that would help.

There is a lot of information but not really a system to organize it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There is no treatment for tinnitus.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jefferson Nunn
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Toxic Mold Exposure
      I'm referring to the sub forums located on this very website "Treatments" and "Alternative Treatments" ... While they may not be official treatments they are there. Also there are some official treatments under development, it seems.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Well, those are not treatments, are just things people try to cope with tinnitus or hyperacusis, to bear them, or try to delay these conditions getting worse. Nowadays there is no treatment that can fix the problem, tinnitus or hyperacusis.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jefferson Nunn
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Toxic Mold Exposure
      I think we're confusing "treatment" with "cure". There are no official cures for tinnitus. However, there have been some people that cured their tinnitus through various means. For example, several people have done stem cell therapy and reported that their tinnitus ended with that.

So...I go back to my original premise. I am not sure how to sort through all the treatment options for tinnitus.

12. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Can you point me to the stem cell treatment that improved some people? I haven’t seen that thread... thanks!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jefferson Nunn
      Torturous

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Toxic Mold Exposure
    14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yeah there is a treatment, it’s called Lenire. I can’t vouch for its efficacy, but technically it is a currently available treatment.

Sometimes if tinnitus is caused by some deficiency it can be treated and resolved. Rare but it happens.

15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      So why public hospitals do not have this "treatment"?

16. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Lenire is still new, the second office just opens this February in Germany. I'm sure many more will follow if the treatment further improves.