How to Prevent Ear Wax Build Up?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all,

My sister has recently been suffering from tinnitus due to ear wax build up and she just doesn't know how I or any of us manage this condition. It gave her an insight into what tinnitus is like but the lucky sod no longer has tinnitus, hers went away completely after she had her ears syringed (flushed out by warm water).

Anyway it's got me thinking how can I prevent ear wax build up with out olive oil drops as every time I use olive oil drops (I brought one from the chemist and one from Amazon) my tinnitus spikes, next day I'm fine but I don't really want to continue using them if my tinnitus spikes.

And I know ear buds are a big no no, so how could I prevent ear wax build up?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Using olive oil long term is a no-no and can actually build more wax.

In simple terms, you can’t. You either make lots or you don’t.

Also avoid cotton buds and syringing and auctioning has risks including tinnitus - however I believe that many here will go against it and say get it removed manually by an ENT. The risk is low and is reinforced by horror stories on the internet. Suctioning is safe when done by a professional but not risk free. Hope that helps. P.s. wax is good it helps protect from bacteria/infection, well some of it is.

3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I use sodium bicarb drops a couple of times a month, seems to be working well. Otherwise every 6 months I end up with a blockage.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks, everytime I go to the Drs and she checks my ears, she always says I don't have any wax issues but my ears are always filled with fluid.

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I want to use these but I've been too nervous to. A couple of Tinnitus Talk members got tinnitus from Debrox and it's hard to tell if they used a syringe or not.

@Sarah200 Manual cleaning with a curette perhaps, before it gets real bad, preferably. I found an ENT who would do it even though my wax was impacted right next to my eardrum. No regrets.

6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I've read apple cider vinegar is good to use. I personally use cotton swabs even thought everyone and their aunt Tesse says its a no no. But I have had no issue and feel its necessary because I use ear plugs every day when I go out and I don't want the ear plugs to compact any wax. So I use cotton swabs at shallow depths but only after a hot shower when the wax is soft and easily cleaned.

7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      All my life I've used cotton sticks to clean my ears after every hot shower. The heat melted the wax into a liquid which you can just remove with the cotton. I have never had wax issues

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I didn't know that the water from the shower was ok, as I've been wearing earplugs in the shower, as I thought water made tinnitus worse?

9. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Don't put any of that stuff in your ears. About every 3 weeks or so put hydrogen peroxide in your ears with a dropper. It probably takes 2-3 full droppers to make it start bubbling. You can also mix the peroxide with half water.

Lay on you're side until it's done bubbling probably 5 mins later.

10. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Umm just get the ENT to pick out the wax using that thin metal stick thing, not loud suctioning!

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      That is not possible in the UK as the only way I can see an ENT is through the NHS which means referral from my GP and she would not send me just for ear wax, the normal thing here by a GP is to have it syringed. Which I don't want.

I don't have the money to go private.

12. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      But you have the money to buy a fancy Lexus car? Wouldn't it be wiser to invest in your health than in a car?

13. Milky Way

Milky Way Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caused by stress and music as far as I know
      I’ve heard Dr Mercola mention that ear wax build up is due to a lack of omega 3’s. You might want to supplement with fish oil etc and be more mindful of your omega 3 intake in the long run.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I'm not getting a Lexus car, maybe you should read more carefully first. I currently have been hiring a Volvo and it's been a great, quiet car and the money I'm using was left by my dad when he passed. And my job is an hour away from where I live so I'd prefer to drive.