How to Stop Therapy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kazue, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently went to a therapist a few weeks ago. She's a nice lady who also has tinnitus. I think she does her job well.

However, I do not feel comfortable with her. I do not like talking about my feelings/life towards people I do not know. It's even more embarrassing when my mom is in the room too. I don't even have anxiety nor do I need to talk to someone. I also cried in front of her like a wimp. The lady barely knew me and I would like to keep it that way after that session.

How do I kindly tell her that I do not want to see her again? I don't want to seem rude but I find these sessions completely unnecessary. I don't want to waste either of our time.

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would just say you don't feel you need the sessions.
      I'm sure she won't take it personally.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Isn't that rude though? I'll just cancel the sessions and won't tell her the reason why. Don't want her to feel like she has failed as a therapist.

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      or...if she's hot, at least ask her to change into a catgirl outfit for your consultation to make you feel better. :D kidding

um...if you're crying during the visit..perhaps discussing uncomfortable subjects etc, you have repeatedly said you aren't anxious, you maybe depressed. They are related but not the same. So you still may need therapy if you have emotion and/or related to tinnitus. People change their therapists every day. You may be more comfortable with a man therapist for example and may want to give that a try. Just stop showing up and if her office calls for the next appointment, tell them you are seeing another therapist.
      Good luck

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Kazue

Tinnitus counselling can play a very important part in helping a person come to terms with the condition and having a more positive outlook on life. These sessions should be done on a one to one basis. The fact that your mother is present won’t help in my opinion, as you will be unable to open up to your therapist how your tinnitus makes you feel. If possible, explain to your mother that you would like to be with your therapist alone for the consultations. Below, I will go into a little more detail about tinnitus counselling and the importance of it.

Tinitus retraining therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy both involve counseling. Many people that have severe intrusive tinnitus see a lot of doom and gloom and look at life and everything else in a negative light.

At first the therapist discusses with the patient how the tinnitus makes them feel and how it has impacted on their life. Often people say they have lost interest in the things they once liked doing, which is perfectly understandable. The main goal here is to gradually help them look at life differently and with a more positive outlook. Over time the negative thinking that is often associated with tinnitus and hyperacusis is gradually dispelled and demystified. The Hearing Therapist does this in a controlled and precise manner so that the patient feels relaxed and not pressured. Therefore, it must be stressed and understood, this treatment takes time and in some cases months. Duration of each counselling session is left to the discretion of the hearing therapist. Typically, these can last up to one hour or more. The amount of appointments required will be different for each patient, but it is quality rather than the quantity of the counselling that really matters.

Michael

Please read the post below to get a little more understanding of positivity and tinnitus.

Positivity and tinnitus

For some people prolonged intrusive tinnitus can be very stressful and at times debilitating. This can sometimes lead to depression and a person may need to go on a course of antidepressants. I have often been asked in tinnitus forums and via email “It is great if you’re able to be positive, but simply telling someone to be more positive about tinnitus isn’t going to change anything”. I want to clarify here and now, that isn’t what I mean.

Thinking more positive about tinnitus and bringing positivity into your life takes time it isn’t achieved overnight or by simply thinking to yourself “I must be positive about my life”.

If a person wants to improve the quality of their life they have to be prepared to try and help themselves, because there is no wonder drug or operation that can cure tinnitus at this time. Unless a person faces these facts they will forever be trawling the Internet going from forum to forum complaining why there is no treatment for tinnitus when actually many of these people want a complete cure. I once read a newspaper article that mentioned: nineteen out of twenty medical conditions cannot be cured. Someone once told me “I don’t want to be positive about tinnitus, I hate it. Being positive wont make it go away. This is true, however, thinking more positive and bringing positivity into your life will reduce the perception on how you relate to tinnitus. CBT and TRT are based on having a positive attitude, without that these treatments aren’t effective.

Long before CBT, TRT and the Internet came on the scene Doctors have been telling tinnitus patients, there’s no cure you’ll have to learn to live with it. Most of us know this is easier said than done.

So how does one start to think more positive about their tinnitus and to bring positivity into their life? The fact that someone with tinnitus is reading this page suggests to me their tinnitus for today at least isn’t so intrusive that they are unable to function, for that I’m pleased because this is something positive, instead of lying in bed on medication doing nothing. If you are able to work that’s even better as your tinnitus isn’t so severe you’re incapacitated. I see this as something positive in a person’s life. Being able to earn a living and support yourself. Therefore, you’re able to do all the daily tasks one needs to survive in this world. You may have some difficulty granted, but you’re still achieving and that's progress.

It is still better than someone that is visually impaired or severely disabled and unable to earn a living. Or, people with severe tinnitus that are depressed and on medication and unable to work. So by looking at our own circumstances and seeing what we’re able to do and achieve we can think more positively about ourselves. There is nothing more satisfying than being independent and I suggest you hold onto those thoughts.

If you live by yourself consider getting a cat or a dog so your home environment won’t feel so lonely. If you have a partner and family think about spending some quality time with them, as this can help reinforce your sense of belonging, and the love that binds you together, then your T won’t make you feel so isolated. Sometimes opening up sharing your thoughts and how you feel can help immensely and keep negativity at bay.

I have just given a synopsis of what I believe can help a person’s quality of life improve with positive thinking. It doesn’t happen overnight but a lot can be achieved when one is prepared to try. By moving forwards and taking one day at a time you can occasionally look back and see how far you have come.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hehe. I would say I have minor depression. I no longer find things I used to do enjoyable. Would doesn't like sleep? Welp, I did at a certain point in time. Now when I wake up, I don't feel refreshed or energetic. It feels like the repeating over the same thing since I have the same schedule everyday. It's like I'm stuck in a time loop. Maybe I will switch to a male therapist. Perhaps an attractive one, hehe jk. But that would definitely keep my mind busy.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh

Thank you for that information. It will definitely come in handy if I happen to go back to therapy.

8. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      One to one will help then you can truly open up...

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't share personal things, just not my thing. Doesn't matter if it's just me and the therapist.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You don't have to share personal things if you don't want to. I am also a private person. It is one of the reasons I use a pseudionym and won't put my picture anywhere on the Internet.
      Michael

11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      "I'm afraid the sessions aren't as productive as I had expected. I'd like to take a break for now to think about my next steps. Thank you for your support so far, and understanding moving forward. I will contact you when I feel I'm ready to resume our meetings"

• Agree Agree x 1