How to Tell the Difference Between Spike & New Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kev, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma, Noise Exposure, TMJ & ETD
      Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I've had tinnitus for 6 years now ever since a severe barotrauma on a family vacation. Long story short I flew with an active ear infection (stupid, I know but I had no idea at the time this would affect pressure) and experienced severe pain and ringing upon descent.

When I got there my family had no idea what to do and we were in a developing country so I didn't seek medical treatment.

Worse part was flying back home a week later (the nail in the coffin). The pitch eventually dulled down to a high pitch hiss and has been with me since. I habituated over the years and always took extra precaution while flying and do my best to limit noise exposure (kind of hard since I work for a major music label).

Anyway cut to now and after a short road trip 2 weeks ago I returned from the trip with my good ear (non barotrauma ear) ringing a loud new pitch! I went to the walk in and the doc gave me prednisone which actually helped a little after a few days of being on it. I had a dull sensation in the ear as well (similar to my familiar ETD feeling).

I came off the steroids and was feeling more positive when all of a sudden a new super high pitch ringing started in the same ear. Unlike random tinnitus that fades after a few seconds this new tinnitus has persisted and is driving me insane.

I got into the ENT finally and she gave me more prednisone and ordered a bunch of tests that I go in for in a few days. I'm completely devastated though by the possibility that I have acquired new T from out of the blue. Things were hard enough the first time habituating from the barotrauma, I was depressed for months.

Now I just am praying to the ear gods that this new tinnitus is temporary but I don't know. Has anyone else experienced this? Random new tinnitus from no noise exposure or trauma, just out of the blue? Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm freaking out.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nine months after onset, my tinnitus has also spread to the healthy ear, for no reason...

Having said this, there is still a chance that 6-12 months from now fade and be a lot quieter than it is now.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma, Noise Exposure, TMJ & ETD
      Thanks Bill. Where did your T originally come from? If it were the same pitch it would make sense that my brain is sending it to both ears now but I have no idea why I have this new much higher and louder pitch for no apparent reason?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After my initial acoustic trauma (in a freak accident, a sonic toothbrush touched the opening of my ear canal for a fraction of a second), I tried performing Valsalva maneuver (which might have also been the cause of my T).
      When I first got T in my formerly healthy ear, it was also higher pitch and louder than the T in the original ear. Over time the T in the formerly healthy ear had changed and faded, and now it is normally quieter than the T in the other ear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Tinnitus or spikes can be triggered by things other than acoustic trauma. There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol, gluten etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

My T is very high pitch too. It was quite unbearable when it first appeared out of the blue waking up in the middle of the night with this mad scream in the ears. Worse, severe hyperacusis soon joined in the misery. I was in a mess initially suffering relentless anxiety and panic attacks. I never thought I can habituate to such a scream but never say never. Today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. I travel often and do gardening, fishing, dancing, socializing. T can go to hell. Don't worry about the high pitch T. It can subside in intensity over time and it can be habituated if it doesn't fade. I never thought possible before. But I do now. Check out my success story where I share many helpful strategies if you have time. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if there isn't a cure for hearing loss and T in the near future we are all screwed '
      no need to sugar coat it, tinnitus even when mild is always having a chance of getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I guess persistent negativity helps you to feel a whole lot better, and gets you through the day?
      Well done you,
      Best wishes
      Jazzer

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      couldn't agree more....

9. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      Another one on my ignore list. Sometimes I can't stand the negativity here which is spread from very few forum members.