HPV Vaccine and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Abby, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Abby
      Doubtful

Abby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      Hi, has anyone had the HPV vaccine? I want to take it but I'm scared it's going to rev up my tinnitus. It's been getting worse for the past year and really can't handle something else increasing it.

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hey Abby,

This might not be an answer to your questions but I took the vaccine before I got T, it did not make me feel ill or have fever etc, so from that end I think you'll be fine. However, I can't answer about the possible spike in your T.

3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I already had T when I took the HPV vaccine, it did not affect it. The only thing I experienced was a slight soreness around the injection site. You'll be fine. :)

I have taken a few vaccines in the recent years because of jobs in health care. Never have they affected my T.

4. Joel Waterman

Joel Waterman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones/speakers and/or water damage
      I wouldn't expect it too, but it's hard to say.

One thing that can make it much worse is flushing water in your ears (syringing) to remove ear wax. Many people (including me) did it themselves or had a doctor/nurse do it and it caused/ worsened their tinnitus/hyperacusis. Some Doctors will be dismissive of the claim that syringing can worsen tinnitus, but a simple google search of "syringing ears" demonstrates that it's widely considered an unsafe way to remove ear wax.

I've been warning a lot of people about this lately because I wish to God I had been warned before I tried it.

I hope your tinnitus gets better or at least doesn't get worse. It's mega lame. Acoustic shock can make it worse so be careful to use adequate hearing protection if you're gonna go to a really loud event like a concert.

Best of wishes!

5. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I did a mini immunization program this year and got no less than 7 vaccinations. I checked and some of these had neomycin in it, and some mycin antibiotics are ototoxic. However the amount in the vaccine is so minute that it won't do any damage at all (asked an ENT and the vaccination doc as well).

And as expected, absolutely zero change in T from the 7 injections. You'll be perfectly fine. :)