Humming in Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by ashlee, Oct 2, 2015.

1. ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me understand if this will go away? I have had tinnitus for the past 10 months. It's been a really rough journey, but I was just getting used to my sounds (as in being calm for the most part when hearing them all day). I was able to block them out during the day, and it was just at night that I would sometimes have trouble. However, yesterday I started getting sick, and I have a cold. Today I woke up with a huge humming in my head. My congestion isn't terrible, but the head humming is! It is so loud, and super alarming to me. Will this go away when my cold passes? Or, is this something separate?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      It should go down as your system heals. Especially if it is an URI .

3. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      Hi Ashlee, sorry to hear you're having a hard time right now. Congestion in the sinuses/head in general is bad enough, but it can really be hell with T.

I've seen similar posts asking about congestion here on TT, and I'd say about 95% of the cases I've seen have cleared up after the cold. I also personally experienced this a few weeks ago and when it cleared up, my T came back to baseline.

It may be a tough week or so, but I don't think you need to worry about this being permanent. It will almost definitely clear up with the congestion. Just be sure to blow your nose OUT, not sniffle in. This can lead to mucus getting into your middle ear through the eustacian tubes, causing infection. This can easily be avoided by blowing your nose instead of sniffling.

Hang in there!

-Steve

4. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @ashlee. I had T. for a year and a half when I got a severe allergy reaction that left me with swollen lymph-nodes in my neck for which I was prescribed antibiotics. It is when the hum started...it feels like I have my head inside a microwave or like am a walking Neon sign constantly on....sigh. I never recovered. Its been 2 years now.... But when I am outdoors I do not feel/hear the hum (which is a God sent relief for me) and also do not feel/hear it when I am standing next to the refrigerator/air purifier/dehumidifier.... basically anything with a motor on. Do you hear it outside your home?? Do you hear it when standing next to a fan or even when a car goes by ??? I notice that when I am in my living room and the windows are open when a car comes by, the hum goes away (strange) and as the car drives away the hum creeps back again in my head. I have various fans on around my house constantly which helps me much. Anyways, we are all different and our bodies react different. With that said, hopefully you will recover from this congestion and the hum will go away. Be well.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do not hear the hum when I am in the car, outside, next to motors, etc. like you mentioned. Thankfully, also helps with covering it up. I am so thankful that my office plays white noise throughout our space, because that too helps. The worst is when I am just walking into my home, watching TV, or when I turn off the fan to leave my bedroom. I've had it before (after a concert..that I went to WITH ear plugs) but it went away the next day. Now, I have it non-stop since the congestion.

I'm praying that it goes away. It is really the worst. @OnceUponaTime how are you coping with your tinnitus? It's been two years with your hum, does it still bother you? I was just getting to a point of my tinnitus not controlling my life, and now this started.

6. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @ashlee 4 years with T. If the hizzing, static sound would just go away, I think I'd live a better life since the hum can be masked. It bothers me everyday. It is not low...but when I keep busy I have moments when I forget about it...but only for moments during the day. It is so ever present. I bear it. Nothing else I can do...just keep busy and hope, pray for a cure. I do live a regular life, homeschooling my children, chores, busy with hobbies, taking care of our home...so in that aspect I have been able to move on... carrying my cross, that is. I keep telling myself, "I can do this. I have to. There is no other choice. It is only temporarily." You will be fine too. How long have you had the congestion??

7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      My drone started with cold over 4 years ago and never stopped :(
      If only I could kill this reactive hiss...

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Congestion for the past 4 days. That's getting better, the hum still sucks. The ringing is actually lower but the hum is super loud and I can't hear well out of my left ear. I took and anxiety pill last night I was freaking out so much, and it was a little better this morning. Praying as the ear opens it goes away. I can't pop it at all.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My head hum is gone this afternoon. Still can't hear as well out of the ear but as I keep getting it to pop, I hope that it will clear up. Definitely better than yesterday! Just giving hope to those others who are reading the post!

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ashlee,
      Glad your head him has calmed down and feeling more positive....lots of love glynis