Hydrops, Hearing Loss, and ENT Appointment

Discussion in 'Support' started by KeyLime, Jan 27, 2017.

1. KeyLime
      No Mood

KeyLime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi everyone! I introduced myself a while ago, and explained that I developed a low pitched humming in my right ear after an upper respitory virus that clogged my ears. It's been about a month with ear fullness and humming. Based on Google searches and reading lots of posts here, I suspect I may have cochlear hydrops. (No dizziness, vertigo yet)

Two weeks ago, I made an ENT appointment, and they said they would schedule me first with the audiologist. Curious, I downloaded an app to test my hearing. Both ears were about the same with *slight* low frequency losses (125kh at 15db, most other frequencies were closer to 0)...so a very slight "reverse slope." I tested my ears 2-3 times over the next few days and got similar results. (I'll try to upload a screen shot) IMG_1693.PNG

Since my ENT appt is today, I decided to do the hearing test again for fun. What a difference! In just 10 days, my right ear lost a lot of low frequency hearing...125 and 250 were down at 40db. How could I lose that much so quickly?!
      IMG_1694.PNG

So, here are my questions...obviously, I'll also ask the ENT, but I wanted your input as well. Is a loss like that reversible since it's still so "new"? Should I mention the previous tests I did with the app? With hydrops, are there any medications I should ask about? Steroids to help with hearing loss? Anti viral since this all started with a virus? Direutics or should a low sodium diet suffice? Are hydrops always chronic or is it possible this is just a one time thing?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Make sure you do a hearing test with bone conduction testing. You could be suffering from otosclerosis. Ask for a fork/Rinne test too.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Betahistine or Proclorperazine or Buccastem or Cinnarazine can help with your symptoms....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What did your ENT say? I'm guessing they'll just give you a diuretic. That is if your audiogram looks like this there. Those tests aren't 100% reliable

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KeyLime
      No Mood

KeyLime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I don't think he has any idea what's going on, LOL. Lots of "hmmm, that's interesting" comments.

I had a full hearing test with bone conduction as well. Audiologist said my left ear was the "best" ear she's tested in quite some time.

My "official" audiogram had low frequency in my right ear down around 25db...so not too bad. I showed ENT the app tests and since there was a drop over the course of 10 days, he wants to try prednisone first. I'll take that for 2 weeks, then go back to see if there's any change.

He seems to think the humming is caused simply by the low frequency hearing loss...even though I had the humming before the loss showed up. I specifically asked about hydrops/meniere's and he said I'd be so miserable with vertigo there'd be no doubt (???) I think I'm going to try my own low-ish sodium diet just for fun...I mean, not a single dr out there would argue with more fruits and veggies and less processed food. ;)

He also mentioned acoustic neuroma as a possible cause for the hearing loss.

6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @KeyLime

They are so clueless. You don't have to have hearing loss to have Hydrops. I take Prednisone daily and it helps a lot. A low salt diet is a good idea. You may not even need more than that.

• Like Like x 1
    7. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      hi ! , its very difficult to say "is this diagnosis or that one" , impossible indeed . Also notice that the applications for general use are not calibrated so cannot be trusted as an exact tool , but can give some idea . And also the meaurements will change , during the morning first time , or the eveninig , it depends on that also and sometimes one can see a lot of difference am vs pm measuring meaning nothing . Im afraid youll have to wait until you see the audiometry , sometimes one have to wait for the clinical stage to make a diagnosis , because all diagnosis include some points like : "if you have ear fullness and at least two time vertigo in this or that time , then ..." so sometimes one has to wait to see if what is happening can get into a diagnosis . Sometimes will , sometimes will not . Nobody knows because theres no way of knowing it , unless it presents at full symptom . There are some more elaborated tests like EcoG or MRI althoug to rule out other things . Youre right ear can be classified as sshl "loss of -30dB in three or more consecutive frecuency .. in 72h??" but I don´t know the exact time of your symtpoms , so its difficult to say if its sshl , so you see , all this one have to wait , meanwhile the best idea imho is to take steroids , potent ones that can reach the inner ear , betametasone or dexametasone . In general prednisone is not potent enough , its a mild power steroid , unless you use a high dose Ill prefer to use dexa or betametasone IV on acute cases . But thats my practice , (im an MD) you have to ask you own MD , he must have experience with this kind of things , because this is not written on books of "general ent" this is Otoneurology field , like subspeciality . Although a high experience ENT will treat you just like an Neurotology .

• Like Like x 1