Hyperacusis Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ford, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts and Acoustic shock.
      I am in a very bad way I'm afraid.

I'm now getting very bad reactive high pitched tinnitus in my left ear after an acoustic shock with NHS hearing aids which I had fully turned up when I turned the TV and the TV volume was on very high too. Anyway I think my problem could be a form of hyperacusis.

Every single sound I hear now causes the loud high pitched tinnitus to increase in volume and I have to turn the source off or find a room as quiet as possible. So far actual pain is only starting with certain sounds but I am incredibly distressed by the sound of the tinnitus itself which also causes my own speaking voice to distort mostly when I pronounce certain letters in words.

I am seeing an audiologist (at home due to my anxiety through all this) and he has given me a trial with more hearing aids which I'm afraid aren't helping at all. He is bringing a soundcure sereanade machine for me to try tomorrow, but I'm wondering if this would be any help?

Would the tiny box generators in wearable sound machines be the best thing to try. I will have to pay as unfortunately my ENT doesnt do them.

Thanks in advance very much for your help, I am feeling suicidal as cannot face any sound and no longer even leave my house where I live alone.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since: