Hyperacusis and Meniere's

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gin, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I've been having a rough time this week with some hyperacusis issues and off/on high levels of tinnitus. Today is finally pretty quiet and the hyperacusis is starting to get better. I want to go workout tonight at the gym but don't want to take any chances on another bad episode, however, I would like to listen to my headphones. Does anybody has any suggestions on what kind of headphones to use that would protect my ears?

I'm all ears. hahaha Sorry Friday afternoon humor

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I recommend Bose Noise Cancelling headphones, because they block out enough of the external sound such that you don't have to raise the volume of your own content in order to compete with it. In other words, you can listen at very reasonable levels with them.

Traditional over the ear headphones could work well too, provided they have a good insulation from the outside noise. In ear monitors could also fall in that category.

But for their versatility, I'd recommend the Bose ones.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Cool. Thanks for the input. ;)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      So over the head are much better than the ear plug ones? Thats the ones I have been using and was wondering if maybe it was causing me more issues than needed.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not so much over the head that matters, but over the ear (the part where the speaker is). You want the ear to be insulated from external sounds as much as possible, so you don't have to crank up the volume too high to compete with those external sounds.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      gotcha