Hyperacusis Is Back — Can It Get Better Once Again?

Discussion in 'Support' started by uae96, Oct 3, 2018.

1. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My hyperacusis started on June 2015 and it has gotten 90% better to a point where I almost do not have it anymore, until July of this year it started to get steadily worse and it’s back.

My question is could hyperacusis become better again?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hypercacusis can get better but it's important to know what caused it to return? If you have been going to clubs, concerts where loud music is played or listening to music through headphones even at low volume, these things can make hyperacusis return. Hyperacusis doesn't usually return without something causing it, and the most common cause is exposure to loud sounds or headphone use. Please click on the links below and read my posts.

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/are-spikes-from-loud-noise-permanent.18156/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Michael, I enjoy reading your posts

It’s normal that someone who’s hyperacusis is almost gone, go back to doing normal things, I’ve been to clubs and listening to music through headphones, never had a problem, it may be because I’ve been using custom made ear plugs while I had a wax build up, so it pressed a lot into my ear and caused the damage.

I’m really not sure of why it has came back cause it was gradual, increase unsure of what to do next.

I tried using pink noise through my headphones at a really low volume but it’s hurting my right ear.

4. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Do you have T? And have you been protecting your ears when you go to these clubs and bars?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes I have tinnitus. Yes I use earplugs to protect all the time.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @uae96

Thank you for your kind comments about my posts and I'm pleased that you enjoy reading them. You may know I often talk about the risks of using headphones for anyone that has "noise induced tinnitus" even when they are used at low volume .

The return of your hyperacusis is due to using headphones and going to clubs where loud music is played. You have mentioned to @coffee_girl that you use hearing protection all the time. When properly used hearing protection can be beneficial but overuse is not, and can make the auditory system more sensitive to sound. Be careful of this, more information is in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it, in the link above.

I advise you to never use headphones again even at low volume as you risk making your tinnitus worse and the hyperacusis. If I were you I would keep away from clubs for at least 3 months or until your hyperacusis settles down again. The best earplugs cannot stop sound passing through the head and being transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction if it is loud enough, so be careful of loud sounds/music especially at clubs and concerts.

Each time a person with "noise induced" tinnitus uses headphones even at low volume, they are putting themselves at risk of making their tinnitus and hyperacusis worse. They should ask themselves the question: do I feel lucky?

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      All the best

Michael

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Ear plugs are false sense of security at clubs, i do not think clubs are a wise choice even for those who use Ear protection

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I went multiple times, never had a problem until this summer, I still do not know the exact reason

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have told you the reason your hyperacusis has returned @uae96 believe me I have corresponded with many people like yourself over the years with "noise induced tinnitus". They habituated and think everything is fine and they can return to using headphones and go clubbing not realizing the dangers of both. Then the tinnitus increases and won't reduce to it's previous level and find they cannot cope. I am not saying that you cannot go clubbing or go to a concert but you have to be very careful and don't put trust in earplugs. Under no circumstances do I advise using headphones even at low volume, when the tinnitus was originally caused by "exposure to loud noise"

A member of this forum contacted me a few weeks ago after habituating to tinnitus for 6 years. The tinnitus was originally caused by exposure to loud noise. She thought she was fine and began using headphones at low volume. Within 1 week the tinnitus increased and now she cannot cope or return to work.

The choice is yours but if you don't want to believe what I'm telling you then continue using headphones, and going clubbing and you will eventually realize when it's too late that I am right.

I wish you well.
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do believe you, and it was probably one of the causes of my worsening but what I don’t understand is why now, but not before

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Each person is different @uae96 A person with "noise induced" tinnitus can use headphones or go clubbing without any problems. Another person with the same condition can do the same without showing signs of problems then suddenly, as is often the case the Tinnitus increases.

A similar thing happened to me in 2008. I had habituated for a number of years and one night was listening to a classical music symphony on my HI-FI and turned up the volume, as I have done in the passed. I went to bed and the next morning my tinnitus increased and continued to get worse requiring me to return to ENT for treatment. It took 4 long years for me to habituate and it changed my tinnitus considerably. Please read my story, My experience with tinnitus: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-experience-with-tinnitus.12076/

I want to end by saying. If you are not careful and choose not to follow the advice I have given you, then you risk making your tinnitus and hyperacusis a lot worse.

Best of luck
      Michael

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sad to hear, thank you for your useful advice, do you recommend using pink noise to try to make my hyperacusis in control again?

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Let me tell you why I think it could be the case, I'll use myself as an example. I went to an extremely loud concert, afterwards my ears were ringing, I went to bed, the next day the ringing went away. About 2 days later, i used headphones while gaming...(it wasn't loud about 20%), next thing you know my ears exploded with sound and I had T, but this time it was permanent. You can say my T was either caused by using headphones OR the catalyst was the very loud concert...which was further exacerbated by the use of headphones while my ears were healing.

Imagine your ears as being a wound that you can't see, if you keep "picking" at it...the wound will never fully heal, and instead a scab will form and you'll have permanent scarring (AKA tinnitus). You might not have "spiked" or bothered your T/H with clubbing and headphones, but you are certainly slowly messing with your ear's process to heal. Just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do not know how severe your hypercusis is? Using pink noise or other forms of sound enrichment such as a sound machine will hopefully help, particularly at night by your bedside. You have to be patient and give your ears and auditory system time to recover and heal. I am surprised that your tinnitus hasn't increased? Therefore, I think luck maybe on your side. If the tinnitus did increase it is unlikely to return to it's previous manageable level. This is the danger of using headphones and going clubbing when a person has "noise induced tinnitus.

Follow the advice that I have given in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. Try not to overuse earplugs and give yourself time. I advise you not to listen to anyone that tells you headphones and clubbing did not cause your hypercusis to get worse. Based on my experience with "noise induced tinnitus" and corresponding with many people in forums, by email and on the telephone. I am 100% certain headphones and clubbing has caused your problems.

Take care.
      Michael

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My hyperacusis is in moderate levels now coming from minor levels just 2-3 months ago, I have burning sensations in my ears randomly and now sounds feels like they're hitting my head, my tinnitus did increase, my main concern though is hyperacusis

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had a feeling your tinnitus would have increased. Obviously the tinnitus isn't too severe otherwise you would be complaining about it.

What I am about to say please do not think I am being unkind, I just want you to realize what you are dealing with. Count yourself fortunate that you are able to cope with your tinnitus even though it has increased. If you ever use headphones again or go clubbing and the sound is too loud for your auditory system, the tinnitus is likely to increase to a level you will not believe is possible.

People have telephoned me crying their eyes out because of the distress they are in caused by headphone use and going to clubs where the music was too loud. Even though they wore earplugs and thought they were safe, this isn't necessarily the case.

As I said you need to be patient and give it time. This healing process could take a couple of months or longer. Use a sound machine by your bedside at night. If you were able to use White noise generators then this would be better but they are quite expensive.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      It is very possible for Hyperacusis to return. I have heard of plenty of relapses and have had major setbacks myself. However, My Hyperacusis behaves differently than most. I can get better from my spikes in the matter of hours to days and at latest a week or two. But everyone is different.

I don't want to give false hope. I'm going to be real with you. I haven't read many people who have had major relapses get better. However, put this into perspective, most of the people who have had relapses understand how to manage their situation and their anxiety/stress with Hyperacusis. Typically, once people get better they don't return to this forum (unlike myself who pops in every week or so to check my messages). Most people only come when they are distressed. That being said, once people get better they never come back to post about their success stories. Which could be one of the reasons why I haven't seen many success stories on Hyperacusis relapses.

I personally think its very possible to recover from Hyperacusis no matter what. First things first, you need to find out what is causing your relapse.

• Hug Hug x 1