Hyperacusis/Noxacusis: Jaw Tightness

Discussion in 'Support' started by GoatSheep, Mar 8, 2022.

1. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

How many people experience a tight sensation in their jaw like their muscles are locking up?

If you have pain, do you experience this sensation prior to pain setting in (like in cases of delayed pain) or after pain occurs?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Chris Nesselroad

Chris Nesselroad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain surgery
      Yep, if I get a really bad migraine due to loud sounds, my jaw locks up. My physical therapist said that our teeth are never supposed to touch, unless we are chewing something. Sometimes when you’re in a lot of pain you clench your teeth and don’t notice it. I hate talking to people when my jaw does that. Communication can become painful and complicated. I try to always think about that when a sound hurts me. I never clench my jaw. Seems to be helping.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Yes, my noxacousis has an entire pain complex during events: TMJ, neck and shoulder pain, brain burning, migraine. I am exploring my forward head posture, jaw issues, inflammatory triggers, etc.

George

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      My jaw might be contributing to my right ear pain. I’m not sure tho.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. LilCC

LilCC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises
      This is out of topic, but does driving exacerbate your noxacusis? I have been avoiding driving because I get spikes even with double protection.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Sometimes, yes. I only drive my kids to school and back and to pick up orders from the grocery store. Always double protection. Sometimes I get pain.

7. LilCC

LilCC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises
      Seems like we can do shit without making it worse :/

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Most activities spike my tinnitus - shower, driving, washing dishes, etc. This does not bother me much anymore. Many normal sounds also cause ear pain especially if they are higher pitched and or more distorted. This is my bigger challenge. A recent thread referenced crappy speakers being avoided. Check. I protect the best I can and then still do most activities except the really loud stuff from before like big power tools, full volume guitars, action movies, competitive shooting. I have eliminated a lot of the really loud stuff and then limit the time for the necessary stuff to spread out the pain inducing reactions and back off if I spike really bad. It always returns to baseline but I try to observe limits as suggested by increasing pain. I manage to get most things done with some limitations but I listen to my body. Anytime I spike I just try to stay relaxed and go about my day and stay busy so as not to start having fearful thoughts and spikes always go back to baseline, although really bad ones can be up to a week and are sometimes initially unnerving.

George

• Like Like x 1
    9. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have ear pain almost all the time and I clench my teeth a lot. My dentist told me I have TMJ and I'm going to get a special mouth guard to try and fix it. Maybe that helps a lot. I also have neck pain.

My canine teeth are actually really worn down because I clench so much.

The way I notice it is, my teeth reflexively clench very quickly sometimes. Just one quick slam. I notice that happen during the day but probably worse when I sleep.