Hyperacusis Only with Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 4Players1, Oct 2, 2016.

1. 4Players1

4Players1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I've had tinnitus for 1 week and hyperacusis for probably 5 days, right now i dont have much hyperacusis but when i use my headphones basically any noise (no matter how quiet) instantly triggers headache, but when I play guitar or sing (tested both quiet and loud) there is no such thing happening. Im worried my T will get worse but this makes no sense, why would 50 db on headphones trigger my hyper harder than 70 db on a guitar?

Answers are appreciated (also god bless you all tinnitus is hell)

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @4Players1
      In my opinion, you are doing everything that is wrong and you are likely to make your condition a lot worse, if you continue with what you are doing. Sorry to sound so sobering but that's what I think.
      My advice is to stop listening to music through headphones even a low volume and keep away from loud sounds. Try to play the guitar at the lowest volume possible. If you get tinnitus and hyperacusis the right way then you will understand what I mean. Believe me you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy.
      If you would like to learn something then please click on the link below.
      Best of luck
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      4Players1

4Players1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long would you recommend me to keep everything quiet? if things get better can i introduce again slowly? because im doing this for a living, i dont have a ton of choice here :/

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @4Players1
      You couldn't have read the information on the link that I sent you already. I gave it to you for a reason to help you. With all due respect, I don't think you have a clue what you're dealing with and how serious tinnitus and hyperacusis can be when it is severe? If I were you, I would never wear headphones again, this is just my opinion based on many years of experience with tinnitus and counselling people with the condition. Please take heed for your own peace of mind and listen to what I'm saying. Read the information on the link that I gave you.

All the best
      Michael

5. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it's okay to listen to music on a low level if you are positive your T will be their forever. It's only been a week so you need to let your ears heal as much as they can. I'm afraid vibrations directly on the eardrum will slow down the healing, meaning you have to drop music all together. If you desperately need to play music then a speaker on the lowest volume would be your best bet. I understand you, i used to listen to music 24/7 until T decided to mess up everything. Now I listen to music on rare occasions.

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think that, especially in the early days, using headphones is not unlike picking at a wound and then wondering why it keeps bleeding.

7. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      Would suggest to never use headphones ever again. It's what got me into this mess.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I guess because the headphones release the sound vibrations closer to the eardrum, with a reduced chance of them escaping. So it is a more direct onslaught of noise :D.

I would try to avoid using headphones in most situations given that it aggravates your H, although by the way you have been using them you seem to be pretty responsible. I only use them on rare occasions now, and for no more than 30 minutes at 40 or so decibels.

When you are solely playing the guitar I would also recommend musicians earplugs, just to keep you safe. If you sing when you play the guitar, you will need to play outside or in an open space, and relatively quietly, without earplugs because of the occlusion effect. Just long enough so that your ears heal, but as I said I think you have been fairly responsible already.

Given that guitar playing is your profession, however, I wouldn't know what to say. Are you able to take a break from playing in live shows?

9. Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Could take some time for your ears to heal. I'm 5 months into this mess and I can almost listen at a normal volume again and the tin can sound is almost gone too. Things really didn't even begin to improve until some time during month 4.