Hyperacusis or Paying Attention to Higher Frequencies

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris M, May 13, 2018.

1. Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello forum!

I had a question, what is the difference between hyperacusis and just being able to notice more higher frequency noises.

In my situation, I have a static tinnitus for going on 6 weeks now. It seems to be slowly getting better on some days and then I lose all hope when it gets loud. The up and down impacts my mood. I feel like it’s healing and then I feel like it comes right back.

While I’m a louder restaurant today, I was noticing almost all noises that most people would ignore ie. Someone’s fork, someone’s brackets, door hinges opening and closing. I didn’t have any pain or anything like that in my ears. Or maybe I am just noticing sounds a little bit more?

My tinnitus is higher frequency as well; I don’t know if that has an impact on the heightened sounds? Or is this hyperacusis?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Chris M

I am using a Tablet and not my regular PC so cannot post links to my posts and will have to be brief. Since you have been affected by noise trauma with tinnitus and possibly hyperacusis, you have to realize it will take time for you to recover. This can take many months usually 6 to 18 months for you to habituate. Please go to my "started threads" and read the following posts that you might find helpful?

Tinnitus, A Personal View.
      Hyperacusis, As I see it.

There are many posts that you might find useful.
      Some people will tell you: with hyperacusis a person feels pain in the ears. This not always the case. Hyperacusis, comes in different levels of severity and no two people will experience it the same. It is important that you do not overuse hearing protection as this can make your symptoms worse. I also advise that you don't use headphones even at low volume. My posts on my started threads explain in more detail.

Best of luck
      Michael

3. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Could be either of: hyperacusis, misophonia or super-sensitivity to certain sounds. If you were able to give us a bit more background, this would be helpful.

Mood and state of mind can affect T and how loudly we perceive certain sounds

4. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      I suffer from tinnitus which some days is low and some days unbearable.

At the same time I can hear sounds louder than other people which are very annoying and scary but at the same time they do not give me ear pain.

Have I got hyperacusis or phonophobia?

Should I try to protect my ears or just ignore them?

I am talking about traffic sounds, busy restaurant sounds.

Of course I know for concerts and gunshots ear protection is necessary but does this apply to normal everyday sounds too?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. ozgeA
      Curious

ozgeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      you should get hearing test done first of all.

wishing all the best.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Tony Phylactou Same here. I was in the mall yesterday and I heard things such as people’s keys, squealing, and pretty much higher frequency noises . The sounds were there but the average person ignores them. I was noticing them though.
      I try to make myself believe my hearing is just good. I wonder if this ever goes away.

• Like Like x 1
    7. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It depends...

A) Do you have a hearing loss?

B Do specific noises bother you more than the average person - i.e. to the extent you cover your ears?

C) Do these sounds instil fear and you always wish to avoid such sounds as they scare you?

If the answer to A is yes, then you could have recruitment and B and C don't really apply

If the answer is B and your hearing is normal, then you have hyperacusis

If the answer is C and your hearing is normal, then you have phonophobia

Of course, you could have super-sensitive hearing and not be bothered by any sounds at all... hence my request for more information

8. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think both B and C apply thats why I cannot be sure what it is .May be I have both.

9. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is perfectly possible to have both but you need to get yourself checked out by an ENT and audiologist before making any assumptions

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some Ents are useless i have been to 4 of them.Nobody gave me a straight answer.

11. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you upload any results?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I don't have any hearing loss. My hearing is within normal range per the audiologist. I do not feel the need to cover my ears for these sounds or frequencies. I just seem to hear them when they occur. I normally ignored these sounds in the past. Certain days are better than others. Im beginning to think it is just a mind over matter thing. @dingaling @Tony Phylactou

@Tony Phylactou From what I have read, it seems the Hyperacusis does disappear with time.

13. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much you give me hope.God bless you.

14. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My audio results

Attached Files:

• Scan.pdf
        File size:
        293.7 KB
        Views:
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    16. DimitarIV
      Creative

DimitarIV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tony, you have high frequency hearing loss (maybe from noise). T is coming from this missing frequencies I guess but who knows...

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes this where I have Tinnitus in my left ear.

18. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi Chris,
      I think you have what I had and you are in the earlier stages of it.

I used to hear higher frequencies a lot (people's money clinking, car brakes e.t.c.).

Like you I didn't have any hearing loss and I also don't have tinnitus.

I think what you tereforet have is hearing sensitivity.

Although this is not really hyperacusis (as you don't feel pain I presume) , this is a condition where you just "notice" sounds a little more.

It will improve , it did for me and now it's only the occasional car that gets my attention and will improve ;)

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Tommi_boi
      Exactly! Brakes on cars definitely steal the show. I notice that more than anything else! I definitely don’t have any pain from these sounds. They are just more noticeable than ever! Even computers cause a frequency I notice at times too. I guess I have better hearing than I though?? What do you think?

20. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sounds like you are very similar to me :).

Sounds were more noticeable, definitely .

So I think you have what I have, mild sensitvitity.

The good news is that this is not hyperacusis (you would know if this is hyperacusis - ear pain!) .

If you are only four months in , the future is bright.

From what I can see , the only difference between you and me is the computer - this does not cause me any issues.

Interestingly enough I remember the static tinnitus, and if you are like me from which it sounds like , this will go.

What caused your sensitivity it I can ask ?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Tommi_boi
      FYI, I’m only 7 weeks in
      About 7 weeks ago, I became ill with a sinus infection. One night I recall my ears being full and clogged but I also remember being in a loud environment but I had earplugs. That night, the light hissing started. Next thing I know, it became constant. In a quiet room I can hear a high pitch e sound that seems like it’s in my head. When I’m around sound, it becomes more of a staticy noise that seems like it’s in my head. I went to the ent when this all started and he said all my hearing is within normal hearing range. The doctor said that estuchian tube dysfunction could be the cause. After 7 weeks, it’s still here. It’s not that loud like others describe theirs at time but I feel like it’s coming from my brain!

Also, every time I swallow my ears click and my right eardrum thumps!

22. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Ahh I see, well yours is a little different to mine then, as mine was noise induced hearing damage. I caught static noise from playing in a band with no earplugs for a year. I noticed that something was wrong as my ears were muffled and I had a static noise for like three months (something called temporary shift of the auditory threshold).

I immediately stopped the band and had to quit, but its a good thing I did, as it probably would have gotten worse. Since then I was okay, until the ambulance I spoke about above, now I have hearing senstivity, but only slightly now. I am probably 92% better, there are of course still things that get me (mostly car brakes).

I think with you, as this is from a sinus infection, I am sure you will get better :), its unusual to get sound sensitivity though!

As for being in a quite room with the noise in your head, download apps (pink noise generators) and do your best to forget about it, I've had a few blips with T and each case it has gone away and I sure it will for you too!