Hyperacusis or Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by noisebox, Sep 7, 2015.

1. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I'm really not sure about my issue. I'm pretty sure partly it's hyperacusis but on the other hand it's the sudden increase in my T which makes me doubtful. My T can suddenly rise with certain sounds even before I've had time to think about it. But trouble is I'm also on alert knowing certain sounds will increase my T. I feel trapped not knowing the way forward. I am exposing myself to normal noise, can't do TRT, can't bear sound direct into ears. I have had these new issues 6 months now, spiking T, sound sensitivity. Before my surgery and medication issue I had fully habituated and had no H. Though never went to crazy loud places but I could live normally and bear children crying etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi noisebox,
      Try not to listen to it and worry also about sounds around you as can easy turn in to a phobia of sounds and constant want to listen out for it.

I know how distressing it can be but try focus on your daily plans and tv or music and try protect your ears if going in a really loud place .
      Try focus on a bright happy future and events and plans and not "the what ifs ".
      Don't let tinnitus be at the forefront of every day and try find your laugh and smile again and confidence....and you will...... lots of love glynis

3. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      It kinda sounds like H is the beast here. I have reactive tinnitus but it's mild now versus same time 9 months ago when it was something horrific. I had to adjust my exposure in increments to get where I am now. Exposing to every day sounds only served to make things worse, the same with over protecting the ears. I suppose you have to find the right balance between exposure and reaction to let the H begin to dissipate, at least that's been my experience. Not everyone's H or sound reactive T is the same.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Mark what do you mean exposing to everyday sounds made it worse?
      I mean the TV, kettle, oven, washer, radio, I visit town each day and manage about 30 minutes in the shopping centre which is small. That is normal life to me. I cannot bear WNGS they make me a lot worse. I always have the feeling my ears are worn out by bedtime. They ring like when I used to visit concerts. Now its only normal sounds which do it. I dont know what more i can do.

5. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      For me the problem was driving, sitting in cafes. Anything people would consider normal!