Hyperacusis/Startle Response After Exercise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Willowman, May 31, 2016.

1. Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Hi,

Has anyone experienced an increase in hyperacusis (very jumpy and startled by sound) in evening after exercise earlier in the day? What may be causing this?

I just started back into weight training this week..and nerves seem hypersensitive when i go to lay down to sleep...many hours after exercise. And ears hurt as well.

I notice tinnitus worsens with stress...but I have not experienced this before. (I have been off work due to stress, migraines, hyperacusis, for 7 weeks).

Had not exercised with weights or kickboxing for 6 months (only yoga and qigong).

I am taking gabapentin for head pain and accompanying abdominal spasms (for 6 weeks...low dose). Seems to help.

Recently diagnosed with Audio Processing Disorder.

Any thoughts on this exercise/hypersensitivity/jumpiness that just started?

Thank you,

WM

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Willowman,
      Do you notice your ringing and hyperacusis is worse after exercise ?
      This could be tempory from a rise in your blood presure until it calms down.
      Always best when exercising to do a cool down calm down routine instead of just stopping.
      See if it helps....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Thanks Glynis,

Yes..hyperactivity and tinnitus are worse after workouts..but hours later...the nervous system jumpiness starts when trying to rest in evening. Ears feel like they are burning.

I do a cool down and stretching before and after workouts.

Dave

4. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Hello Willowman,
      Can you give an example of the sensitivity to noise you are talking about after exercising?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Hi Nick

I don't feel it immediately after exercising...but a few hours later I startle when I hear a sound. Jumpiness. I feel it through entire body. Could be a car passing by outside....someone dropping a spoon.....I just become more agitated and anxious and when trying to sleep my limbs will twitch at any sound. I take magnesium
      .and Ativan..sometimes herbal teas to help. I take high concentrated fish oils as well. I was diagnosed with ADHD and APD as well.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Ears seem to burn..and I get head pain on right side. Since flying last October..I have had very bad headaches on right side. ENTER said it's ETD. Going to see Onto-neurologist soon.

Been off work 7 weeks