Hyperacusis (?) Threatens My Job

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dccool, Sep 30, 2020.

1. dccool

dccool Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone, I'll lay out my story here, it seems like my experience is pretty unique, but hopefully I can find someone who can help me.

For my whole life I've suffered episodes of nausea and dizziness, strong enough to cause me to throw up multiple times during the episodes. These would last the entire day until I go to sleep. This is likely some kind of problem with my inner ear, and may or may not be related to my tinnitus.

A little over a year ago I had my first episode of tinnitus, it was just loud enough to be unmaskable when I went to sleep that night but luckily it was gone when I woke up the next day. Over the next year I had more episodes, starting with a sudden feeling of light headedness and ear pressure, followed by ringing. I was able to just calm down and take some deep breaths to get rid of them but as of June the tinnitus has become constant, manifesting as a loud droning in my head if there is no sound and a high pitched ringing in my right ear if there isn't enough sound to mask it. This panicked me and I tried Methylprednisolone, which does not seem to have improved the tinnitus at all and instead has caused many mundane noises I hear every day to sound like the tinnitus to my right ear only. Is this what people call hyperacusis?

I can deal with the tinnitus later, but if there's any decent way to improve the hyperacusis I'd love to hear it. As a programmer I have to be around computers in order to do my job, and two or three different components in them cause an obtrusive ringing noise.

Also it's starting to get cold, which means I won't be able to use fans to mask the ringing anymore. Are there any solid alternatives out there?

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dccool

dccool Member

Tinnitus Since: