Hyperacusis & Tinnitus — Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by aptenodytes, May 7, 2018.

1. aptenodytes
      Nerdy

aptenodytes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/Headphones
      Hello all,

I am new to this group, therefore a proper introduction is necessary (sorry in advance for my English, it's not my mother tongue).
      I got my tinnitus in mid 2011 due to microphone feedback and many many years of listening music through headphones.
      In the beginning I had tinnitus, in combination with mild ? hyperacusis, but I really can't recall of pain to be present. Just a certain amount of annoyance towards high pitched sounds and loud sounds in general .
      After counselling and patience, I reached habituation and literally forgot about the problem (of course ear protection where necessary, aka. concerts, very loud bars).

Just on last Thursday (after 7 years with spikes only related with stress, and bad sleep), I listened to music with headphones, in medium level, and I noticed a change in my tinnitus, feeling that in one of the ears is higher than before. I didn't panic, I just thought it would be for a day or so, and I stopped thinking about it. All the weekend though I started experiencing sensitivity to sounds in conjunction with ear pain...aural fulness as well.
      My stress now is unfortunately off-limits, and my T as well ... Sensitivity to metal sounds and paper is also my problem, which happens from time to time in the day. The fullness comes and goes between the two ears.
      I went to the pharmacy and bought some drops for ear-pain and I think that I am even worse now :/.

I don't know what to do, and I am in extremely painful stress.
      I've read a couple of the success stories,but still, I feel that my situation is different and it will only get worse.
      I don't know what to do, I just want for it to subside and be as it was before.
      I would really appreciate some guidance regarding this issue.. Recommendation/guidance is truly and highly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @aptenodytes

I am sorry to hear about the increase in your tinnitus. This is one of the main reasons I advise people that have got tinnitus by "loud noise" never to use headphones even at low volume, as there is a risk of making the tinnitus worse. Some people with noise induced tinnitus, use headphones and don't have any problems but there is always a risk.

Please click on the links below and read my posts that you might find helpful. If you are able to get a referral to ENT for tests on your auditory system then I advise that you do, and possibly a referral to a Hearing Therapist afterwards for help with tinnitus management.
      Try to avoid sleeping in a quiet room at night. Use a sound machine by your bedside for sound enrichment. More about this is explained in the links below.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aptenodytes
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/Headphones
      Hello @Michael Leigh ,

Thank you very much for the response.
      Unfortunately i wasn't aware of such a high risk...
      I have already planned an appointment, unfortunately it's in a month.. Regarding the hearing therapist, is it the same with an audiologist?
      And in general, from your personal and probably overall experience in this forum, do you think that it will subside?

Thank you again.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @aptenodytes

I have had tinnitus for 22 years and it was caused by headphone use with music played too loud but I didn't realize I was causing harm. I have corresponded with a lot of people over the years with "noise induced" tinnitus and have counselled people with this type of tinnitus.

You mentioned in your post, that over the years you have been sensitive to certain sounds and they caused some annoyance. This indicates to me that your hyperacusis although reduced did not completely go away or cured, and this is the reason you have been getting spikes.

A Hearing Therapist and Audiologist are not quite the same but some Audiologists are also trained as Hearing Therapists and vice versa. Try to stay calm and wait for your appointment and it's good that you have to wait a month, because at the moment the increase in your tinnitus will make you feel stressed. Hopefully over the coming days and in the next few weeks your tinnitus will settle down.

Please read the posts that I have given you in the links provided and use "sound enrichment" at night. Try to avoid sleeping in a quiet room. Keep away from loud sounds. My advice is never to use headphones again even at low volume. There is a good chance that your tinnitus will subside. Follow the advice in my post above titled: Hyperacusis, As I see it. Information is there to help desensitize your auditory system and reduce your hyperacusis. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

If you are feeling stressed talk to your GP and hopefully something can be prescribed to help you relax.
      All the best
      Michael

Last edited: May 7, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    5. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aptenodytes
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/Headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @aptenodytes If you go to my "started threads" there are more posts that you might find helpful.
      Try to stay calm.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aptenodytes
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/Headphones
      Just as an update:

did an audiogram yesterday, nothing changed from 6 years ago except for an obvious hyperacusis in my right ear (-10 db at 6 kHz+8kHz):cautious:.
      Regardless of that I am pretty sure that my H has improved since the spike's onset, and hopefully, it will reach its normal levels sometime soon (fingers crossed).
      As Michael stated above though, probably my H was never healed 100% and therefore at some point I am really considering going to a Hearing Therapist.

The only "bad" thing is that T reacts a bit and sometimes a hear a high pitched tone, but I will keep a positive mindset that it will settle in time :).

Thank you for the support. It helped me enough and still helps me to see people here supporting each other.
      Success stories are my SSRIs at the moment.

Best

Lina