Hyperacusis (TTTS?) and Tinnitus from Acoustic Shock

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattR, May 16, 2019.

1. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014: Mild Hyperacusis 2019: More severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, more recently Acoustic Shock
      I've been perusing these forums for about a month and a half now, trying to figure out what I could expect for my recent incident.

Mid March I was on a phone call, put my phone on speaker to check my calendar, forgot to take it off speaker before putting it back to up next to my ear, and was promptly blasted with the full force of the phone speaker. Mind you, it was literally half a second as I immediately pulled the phone away, but the damage seems to have been done.

I immediately experienced a clogged ear feeling, though not much pain. However tinnitus flared up within an hour or so, and after a couple days hyperacusis as well. Since then I've had pretty sensitive hearing, from all frequencies, and my ear seems to tense up to sounds as well, which is why I'm guessing I have TTTS as well? I don't know if the pain is from both hyperacusis and TTTS, or if I just have one of those. I've seen some articles on TTTS and it causing hyperacusis.

I measured my phone on speaker with a dB meter, the absolute loudest i could get it to read was 115db, with it presses directly against the phone. With it even a centimeter or two away it only hit mid 90s. I know that is loud, but it's not like a gunshot. I'm so amazed this has caused such an issue, which is persisting to almost two months now.

I've read a lot of stories on here, and am curious if any of you have had similar symptoms brought on by something like this? As opposed to a lot of stories I read about prolonged exposure or very loud noises like gunshots.

I'm trying to remain positive, as I know two months isn't long, but it's difficult to say the least. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There are two forms of hyperacusis, Loudness Hyperacusis and Pain Hyperacusis.

TTTS may actually be a lot of different problems with facial nerves, middle ear muscles. It's not even researched. None of these topics are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My Hyperacusis is certainly painful. I've had mild hyperacusis in my right ear for about 6 years now, it is only brought on by higher pitch frequencies and very loud things (100+db) and does not hurt in the same manner as my left ear now does. The pain also does not linger generally.

My left ear pretty much is affected by everything, probably around 70-75db or louder, with higher frequencies being worse. I have the clogged ear, burning sensation, and tensed up feeling as well, and it all lingers for days or longer with the left ear. It certainly does not seem like the hyperacusis i've had with my right ear at all. It's much worse. That's why i wonder if it's actually TTS.

I should add btw I've already seen an ENT and Audiologist. About as helpful as you'd expect. Prednisone did nothing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      There have been cases of this exact same acoustic trauma that you been through where some people have healed from it, and some others have not to put it very bluntly. People who have been through this have experienced the hyperacusis, though I am unsure of the TTTS, but if you protect your hearing and don't overdo it with sound exposure -- ( I took my TTTS as my ears warning me ) then hopefully it will start to fade so your ear can heal and correct it's issues.

Two months is too short of a duration from a feedback wave. Don't time it. Just focus on healing. :beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't get any fluttering, which I've noticed some people talk about with TTTS. I get the tensed up, bracing feeling though which seems to be a TTTS thing. I've never experienced that with my right ear with hyperacusis.

It's unfortunate there's not a lot of info on the ear in general, let alone acoustic shock. It took me forever just to find out it was a thing. There doesn't seem to be in good statistics on how often people heal from experiencing an acoustic shock.

6. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Look into acoustic shock disorder. Actually, I'll be linking you: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ople-here-have-acoustic-shock-disorder.18989/

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, I've actually looked through that thread a few times, it was one of the first things I ran into that explained all the symptoms I was having.

I haven't had any of the vertigo or balance issues or anything to that nature. Just burning sensation and pretty sensitive to noises. It felt like it was getting better about 2 weeks ago (not 100%, just a bit more tolerable) but for some reason it has gotten worse since then. Extremely frustrating to say the least.

8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      You probably have a new layer of hyperacusis - I think the noise pain variation is called noxacusis which is the burning sensation and sensitivity to noise. If it was getting better, and derailed, then you know it can get better and hopefully even fade to your previous baseline of H before. If you have noise sensitivity, take note of what noises those are and estimate what frequencies bother your ears and try to avoid those and shorten those exposures, because that might have been the cause that brought it back and put a null to to your progress.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I've had a couple setbacks, definitely from sound. Not loud sound mind you, but enough that it caused some setbacks apparently (metal door opening, dishes). It's unfortunate that there is so much back and fourth on earplug usage. I'd be totally fine wearing earplugs whenever I left home for a month or two if that was what it took to let my ears heal, but then every ENT says not to do that.

10. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Not to berate a professional, but they don't know your ears. They tell you not to overprotect, which you shouldn't. But there's a balance to be had - every day noises gave you a setback: metal door, dishes. So, if your ears are getting harmed from that, then they're telling you in their own way, HEY - protect me from these things.

I would say protect from any noise that bother your ears. Your ears are your ears - what works for someone else, won't work for you. What sound their ears tolerate, maybe yours cannot.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True, I did just order a pair of musicians earplugs. I'm definitely going to where them whenever I go out to any environment I don't have control over, at least for a few weeks to see if my ears improve as they were prior. I'm still able to watch tv at moderate volumes and such, so I suppose as long as i don't wear plugs 24/7 it shouldn't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The musician earplugs are great for going out to unpredictable environments, such as a supermarket, a busy restaurant or walking near traffic. It is pretty much impossible to protect from every loud sound, but these can help a lot.

I also use the silicone earplugs, and just the other day I was out for a walk, and thankfully had them in, as it was afternoon, and the school buses and UPS trucks are quite loud. I ended up walking past a landscaping crew with a lawn tractor, leaf blower and weed wacker all going. Thank goodness for the protection as it was really loud, and I also covered my ears, with no T spike.

13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      so you've had burning pain for 6 years? Prior to your recent noise injury what did normal high pitch noises cause you to feel?

Has any doctor commented on what they believe is causing this?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, sorry if it's a bit confusing. My right ear *was* my bad ear for the last 6 years. I had what would be considered mild hyperacusis, though it originally was probably closer to moderate. I never had burning sensations or tensing up with that ear, just sensitivity to high frequencies (a fork scratching against a plate is awful). The pain would never longer for long either.

My left ear is what recently was exposed to an acoustic shock. I've never had any problems with it prior. Burning sensations, sensitivity, tensing up, I'm dealing with all of that right now in my left ear.

ENT just said acoustic incident for my left ear, and said it should go away eventually (super helpful right?).

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's good to hear, hopefully they'll help give my ear some time to properly heal.

16. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Wanna know the sad truth.

if there isn't ways in the near future for scientist to regenerate cochlear hair cells and repair nerves in the ear using bio-medical intervention you don't have any solid hope unless you learn to live with it. The only thing you can do is focus on not making it worse and accept whatever natural recovery happens.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Didn't you have hyperacusis, and it went away? Like a number of people who have posted here?

My hyperacusis in my right ear was certainly much worse initially years ago. I thought about almost 24/7, but after about 7 or 8 months it wasn't something I thought about or noticed 90% of the time.

I agree with you that scientists have done a poor job with the ear, Tinnitus has yet to have a real cure despite millions being affected by it, and hyperacusis was barely even a recognized thing until the last decade or two.

18. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      When I had TTTS from ear syringing I did not have pain, but hyperacusis was painful. Now with physical jaw/neck tinnitus I often feel a sharp pain, numbness and burning in my ear as the tensor tympani muscle tightens and stretches my eardrum. This is because I experience pain in my temporomandibular joint, cheek and side of neck due to irritation of the trigeminal nerve that activates the tensor tympani muscle. I also get headaches.

For about 20% Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome can be the result of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems and/or upper cervical spine problems—specifically, your C1 and C2 vertebrae being out of proper alignment.

In cases of non noise trauma with neck, jaw lash injury will happen almost all the time. Temporomandibular joint injury and neck artery compression from hyperextension influences the c spine and C1 and C2. New studies say that the continuation of tinnitus from this event is now jaw related. If TTTS happens weeks or months after, then the C1 and C2 is out of alignment and places more pressure to nerves of the middle ear.

Hyperacusis - distorted hearing, muffled hearing, dull or painful ear pain is about 75%. Tympani fluttering and aural fullness about 60%.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes my prognosis was only like 10-12 months but you had it for over 5 years in the right ear so I don't think you will recover as well.

I got better because I listened to my body and let my ears rest.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah gotcha. My right ear did get much better with time (8 months or so?) and generally has remained decent. My left ear is now the problem. I'm hoping to see a similar recovery. It seems like most people on here who have gotten better report getting better anywhere from 4 months to 2 years.

21. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I had hyperacusis a while back, but it is mostly gone at this point. However, certain frequencies, the low ones that a leaf blower puts out I still find annoying.

22. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
    23. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @COYS

The H lasted I would say about 2 months. It was getting bad, with every beep of the microwave as a piercing painful tone. I wondered if it would ever end.

Out of desperation, I started daily omega3 supplementation, nighttime earplugs for "acoustic rest," and green tea most days.

Both the T and H got better in a few weeks. I do still have T, with some bad days here and there most often from not sleeping, but mostly it is better.

24. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Ahh I’m 5 months in and worries it’s here to stay

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What was the cause of your T and H to begin with?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your H has gotten better though hasn't it?

27. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I had an acoustic shock from a balloon bursting near my ear. Seems ridiculous to say But that’s all it could have been. A week later all my symptoms started.

My H has improved. Ear pain and fullness is back this week for some weird reason

28. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hyperacusis goes on and off in cycles and you are just going through the ear cycles of feeling pressure, tension etc, then being more relaxed, until the next noise offence triggers the whole process again. It is slow so at a certain point it is easy to miss the reference in terms of sound quality and previous baseline

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ridiculous, but not unlike my incident. I'm pretty sure a balloon popping near your ear was probably similar to how loud my phone was on speaker pressed directly to my ear.

I've had ear pain, fullness, H, tinnitus, all that fun stuff. It's good to hear your H has gotten better, and symptoms overall, even if they are back a bit.

30. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Any update on your situation?