Hyperacusis Worsening Rapidly. Not Sure What to Do.

Discussion in 'Support' started by SignWithSilence, Jun 18, 2018.

1. SignWithSilence
      Joyful

SignWithSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concerts and Stress
      I got hidden hearing loss after an acoustic trauma from a concert (4.5.2018), and I didn't really realize it or take it seriously until I started having tinnitus on 19.5 after hanging out with friends. After that I have been running back and forth with ENTs and audionomists. My hearing test results are good though.

Early this month I had annoying tinnitus and some hyperacusis. Mostly just discomfort and occasional pain. I could do most normal things with some discomfort but rarely pain. I haven't been using ear plugs much because I was that overprotection is not good.

However as the month has progressed the H has been escalating (although baseline tinnitus has gotten lower, but it does get higher temporarily on noise exposure). First dishes and sudden noises started to be discomforting, then I started to perceive my own voice loud and it started to discomfort me, and in couple of days alone my tolerance for sounds seems to be dropping really fast. Many sounds give me jaw and cheek pain, and I feel I even get headaches. Even watching TV on low gives me discomfort or hurt, something which hardly happened earlier. My left ear especially seems to be hurt all the time.

I have an appointment to test my LDLs on Wednesday 20.06 but I am at a loss what to do about it. My ENT told me on 07.06 that hyperbaric oxygen therapy or steroids would be too late as the golden 2-14 day mark was already over.

I am now going to be using ear plugs a lot more but I am not sure what else to do. Custom ear plugs is obviously next on the list but as my condition is getting worse rapidly, I am not sure whether TRT or CBT has any uses. I used to be scared on my condition but right now I am just trying to accept my fate.

I am thinking whether LLLT be of any use, or if I still should give steroids or HBOT a go just in case?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think LLLT might help. I had 5 HBOT sessions done, and then I had to stop (I won't go into the reasons for it). Later, I wanted to do it again, but I thought that it was too late. Imagine my dismay when I read a number of posts on this site saying that HBOT might be beneficial for months after one's acoustic trauma. So search this forum and see whether you can find those posts. It seems to me that if you can easily do HBOT, you might as well do it.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Above all, don't panic. Don't assume that what you have now is what you will end up being stuck with for the rest of your life. It takes months/years, but T and H do change, and hopefully eventually they will be changing for the better for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @SignWithSilence

You are new to tinnitus and hyperacusis. The tests that you have had at ENT on your auditory system are all you need for the moment. TRT or CBT I believe are not right for you at this time as you need to adjust emotionally to this condition. Tinnitus can fluctuate a lot in the early stages and so can hyperacusis which often accompanies noise trauma. I advise you not to use headphones even at low volume. Please read my post below, then click on the links and take "your time" to read my articles. If you have a printer I advise you to print them and refer to them often.

All the best
      Michael

New to tinnitus what to do?

The onset of tinnitus can be difficult for a lot of people to cope with. It comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

Tinnitus can be also be caused by an underlying medical problem, build up of ear wax (cerumen). Jaw problems. Some medications and even irregular blood flow through the body causing Pulsatile tinnitus. One of the most common causes is exposure to loud noise or music that has been played at high levels that can affect the cochlea in the ear. This type of tinnitus can be loud, intrusive and very debilitating. Often leaving a person at a loss and not knowing which way to turn to escape the noise. I fully understand how difficult it can be for someone new to this condition to take this in and believe it to be factual.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a nighttime sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down.

A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low-level non-intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there is also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours.

There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not averse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Doctors prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker.

It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until your ENT advises you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

I advise not to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume especially if the tinnitus was "noise induced" and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wearing noise-reducing earplugs, the type that has attenuation filters would be a good idea. 18 to 30 decibels reduction should suffice. While reducing external sound they will not impair sound quality.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-ent-doctor-and-hearing-therapist.24047/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/a-change-of-lifestyle.20643/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-negative-counselling.26669/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/trt-as-i-see-it.19555/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SignWithSilence
      Joyful

SignWithSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concerts and Stress
      I will talk about HBOT with my audionomist on Wednesday. I don't know if it is too late or not, but I would like to try it. I am concerned about the noise level in the chamber though.

I'm doing my best to remain calm but it isn't easy. Luckily I am not currently working or anything, so I can just relax at home. I do think this ordeal is partly psychological but there is obviously a physical element going on which worries me.

I have read most of your articles previously but I re-read them now. Your articles are inspirational. I stopped using headphones weeks ago. It is hard to adjust to my condition because I have always been a fairly neurotic person, although I have been working on it.

I see hyperacusis as my greatest challenge so far. I have been many emotional hardships, and survived them, but this one is physical which is way more threatening and scary.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @SignWithSilence
      I have found that any sort of ear-plug use ( foam, musician ) will help temporarily by stopping my H getting worse in a bad situation ( cinema, restaurant, bar ) ...BUT...there is always payback ! As when I remove them the H spikes for a few hours or even a day and even in relative silence.
      H is just weird...its like a very naughty and annoying child ! :mad:
      Any sort of head / ear-phone use is an absolute nightmare for me and I have now avoided them for Three years. I cant see me ever going back to headphones. Its not such a loss.
      I hope today is a better one for you :cool:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SignWithSilence
      Joyful

SignWithSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concerts and Stress
      I think today the pain has been more psychological. Head and jaw have been hurting more than ears I think. I think my head and jaw hurts because I'm on the edge so I clench my jaw a lot.

I had a good time yesterday watching TV and chatting with my brother, and even though talking hurt I still did it because I felt mentally quite good. In the evening though I was exhausted and needed a rest.

I think I am seriously considering HBOT. It might be my best chance, and even if it doesn't work at least I can say that I tried it. It could help with the recent setbacks. Early this month tinnitus was more worrying than H but now it is the entire opposite.

There is a psychological element to all of this though. I got my T earlier but I think H started to escalate due stress. I had university entrance exams which stressed me out, and after the exam I wasn't very confident. I was so worried about T which made me have problems concentrating. I was two days more stressed out than ever before in my life. After the stress started to calm down though, my H started to get worse as I perceived my voice louder than normal, and it has been escalating rapidly ever since. I haven't really felt like doing anything I used to do in my spare time (read books, play games). My attention span has been severely cut down, and all I think about is my ears. Only in the gym I have been able to forget my condition for a while, and there feel normal. I was supposed to go there today but don't want to risk any further harm right now.

This is quite rambly but I feel I need to write something. It makes me feel a bit better.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work

Im am sure there is a psychological element for lots of people.
      To be honest if they weren't under stress before T and H started, then they will most probably be once these ugly cousins takes up residence in their head.
      Personally speaking I wasnt under stress or stressed when mine started. I simply had a dental treatment.
      I am convinced there is a strong physical link for some people to the neck, jaw and shoulder, and when these are unhappy then T and H can start or get louder.
      No one can ever be sure.
      You need to try and calm down as much as possible, get good rest, eat well, be distracted, try not to focus ( I know its hard !) don't listen to loud music or be in complex loud environments ( cinemas, restaurants and bars ), walk about in nature if you can as its soothing.
      Things will improve and someday you will start to notice less, or care less about it.
      Lots of good folk here to vent too when you need to no one minds ! They helped me so much when I was a newbie and panicking.
      Be happy and be calm my friend.
      X

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are not alone. This is what normally happens during the first three months or so...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SignWithSilence
      Joyful

SignWithSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concerts and Stress
      I don't know if anyone is watching still watching this thread but I felt like updating.

My condition has only been getting worse week after week. I find more and more situations where I get pain. For example a week ago driving and sitting in a bus was not a problem but this week it has been. I still don't understand that in some situations like going to a gym for example I only feel minimum of discomfort at worst, but driving, busses and sometimes noises from outside give me pain.

Couple of days ago I was hanging out with my friend to test and see out what I can do. Being in a car was discomforting and mildly painful, going to store was maybe discomforting at worst, library was nice, walking outside and talking gave me a headache and talking is fairly painful but I wanted to do it. Sitting outside a bar drinking and chatting was painful. I think I was a bit too much on the edge there.

Yesterday was a good day when I received news that I got into the university I wanted. The whole day was nearly pain free. I felt "normal" for a change. It has been like a dream come true but I don't know if I am able to study in this condition which saddens me. Two days ago I cried first time in maybe ten years. I cried: "I want to live!" so many times that day... I was so sick and tired of the pain and isolation, and I just hoped that I could go back in time and not be so reckless with my ears. Sometimes I refuse to believe that this is actually happening to me. Just at the beginning of the month I felt quite normal. I was mostly just afraid of sound or it felt uncomfortable but I was nearly pain free.

On Tuesday I should receive more information what is going to be done considering my condition as my audionomist is going to contact another doctor.

I try to be optimistic though. My tinnitus is thankfully mild, and I think I don't perceive sound as too loud necessarily, just painful. I also think I'm slowly getting used to my voice and it doesn't give me as much pain as it used to. My hearing is good enough so it is not a issue 90% of the time.

I think in the meanwhile I'm going to see if a chiropractor or a massage would help me. My jaw on the left side makes some cracking sounds when I open my mouth. Fixing some of that might reduce some of my symptoms.

I am also considering asking for some medication to take the edge off.

All I hope is that by September I am in good enough shape to be able to study.

12. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home

How are you doing now?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SignWithSilence
      Joyful

SignWithSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concerts and Stress

I am doing good. I made a update in a another thread. Tinnitus still exists (still mild) but hyperacusis/ear pains are now longer bothering me. Last time I had any ear pain was a 1h flight I took three weeks ago. Sadly I am still unable to hear in noisy situations.

Life is quite normal now except I don't use headphones or go to bars (I still drink if the event/party is outdoors) or concerts. I can't really complain after the hell I went through.

I posted here in more detail: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...anyone-experience-this-too.29886/#post-361950

• Like Like x 2
    14. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      @SignWithSilence
      Any idea on what you did to get it to improve? Can you give any advice? I'm desperate to get past my painful hyperacusis and like you earlier in this thread, it's been worsening.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SignWithSilence
      Joyful

SignWithSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concerts and Stress

I never had much of loudness hyperacusis. Only ear pains (TTTS probably).

I can only tell you what helped me:
      Daily walks in forests and outdoors (kept me from going insane indoors), medication (antidepressants (SSRI) and benzos), going to the gym (with ear plugs), reducing junk food and caffeine, socializing as much as your condition and your mood allows you to (don't push it too much it if you don't feel like it), seeing a psychologist, Stoic philosophy and mindfulness.

In essence I had to get over my feeling of helplessness and doom. In my worst all I thought was that I my life was good enough, I am ready to leave this world. I didn't want to live but not kill myself either. Eventually with my medication I got a feeling of safety once again and I started slowly socializing more and more.

It tested my limit and I had to for the first time in my life justify my existence to myself. I realized that I still have things to offer to this world and leaving it now would be a loss.

I cannot promise you that what helped me will help you, but it is all I can share.

I hope you get better.

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Take curcumin.

17. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hi:

Really sorry to hear about your predicament. Coming down with hyperacusis is at first very scary because we do not know where we will level off. But level off you will somewhere, and then, IF you are careful, you will probably start to improve very gradually to a new more comfortable level. In the meantime, PROTECT as much as possible from very loud sounds, of course, using the best industrial earmuffs you can find (ear plugs are not enough to protect from very loud sounds like planes, trucks, lawnmowers, drills, even inside most cars etc.... ). Water and voices may be annoying now, but those type of low sounds will not damage you further. Maybe just use earplugs to cut down on the discomfort on those quieter sounds. Don't worry about over-protection! Trust your intuition. I've had hyperacusis for 23 years, and over protection has rarely been a problem, and never results in worse damage even if you do overprotect. It's really all the loud sounds from which you must absolutely protect...and then hope for the best.

To repeat, you will probably get eventually better. We would not mislead you.That prediction is based on the experience of thousands of people.

Good luck!

Marco

18. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      Has curcumin helped you?

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I want to say yes, but I m not absolutely sure. Yesterday my wife pointed out the fact that when I came home from work that I didnt immediately turn on my fan and I feel lately, as in the last 5 days or so that it doesnt bother me as much. I just sat down in my totally silent office and to he honest, there is very very little tinnitus sound and it right this moment feels more like an empty space in my mind, maybe a very slight tiny ringing. This is a very new development. 2 weeks ago I would never have been able to sit in my office without masking sounds, all my tinnitus tones would have been roaring and my head would have been ringing like a bell. For the sake of honesty and fairness however, my brain could just be adjusting to it. There is so much going on with hearing and the brain that I have only speculation. If my tinnitus goes away while I'm taking curcumin, and stays gone when I stop, then I would think further scientific studies would be warranted with rodents that can be scientifically analyzed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      My hypothesis is that acoustic traumas demylienate neurons in the brain in the auditory circuitry (among many other issues that acoustic traumas cause). I think if the injury is so great....the damage sometimes spreads to other parts of the surface of the brain where myelination doesn’t repair itself as easily—-hence why we get visual snow/floaters. And the reactive tinnitus are the neurons overfiring.
      Curcumin helps myelinate neurons. I don’t know if you knew that already. So maybe that’s why it’s helping.

How’s your reactive tinnitus now?

@JohnAdams

• Informative Informative x 2