Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Per, Jul 18, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I got Hyperacusis together with my T. When I read about this I find numerous clinical variations, when I was medically "assessed" by an ENT surgon all he did was to check my hearing and explained the horrors of these problems, needless to say I'm not pleased with that persons medical skills at all. I wonder if anyone here could share their experiences with Hyperacusis and perhaps comment on the importance of being assessed to define the nature of the condition?

It's quite confusing to read about cochlear hyperacusis and vestibular hyperacusis etc because it seems like it's a very physical thing, in other sources I read that it's a brain damage and has little to do with the condition of the inner ear - as a matter of fact I find that T is described in the same divers manner. Seems like it's a considerable difference in how it's perceived. I find my hyperacusis very stressful and painful. It's like someone is shooting sharp "sound bullets" into my ear. In my case the worst sounds are kids screaming, cars breaking, pressure air from trucks and buses, metal against metal and high pitched environmental sounds in general.

Any hyperacusis success stories out there?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Actually I think your ENT was very correct, can I get a referral?

3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I have had moderate hyperacusis for 1 month or 2 after onset, i think now the problem is gone. It's hard to tell sometimes because i wonder if this was psychological at first because i knew i hurt my hearing.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      Hi Per,

I just wanted to let you know to hang in there. Odds are you will get better. Our bodies has an amazing ability to heal and adapt. The guitarist in my band had Hyperacusis at one point in his life and now is doing okay. He has crackling in his left ear and has lost a significant amount of hearing. He is lucky that he didn't get chronic Tinnitus. Just hang in there. You will get better. Just give your body some time to heal and adapt. The odds are in your favor.

Get another Doctor if you have too. Doctors are like Mechanics you have to find a good one you can trust.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Telling a person there are no treatment concepts and that T is forever is not a very good approach. It is both wrong and inappropriate. Forever is infinite, he doesn't know that. And there are many treatments for both T and hyperacusis that can make it better. Nothing he said during that consultation did correspond with what I later was told by other medical people more involved with T. He didn't even know the basics of hyperacusis treatment, I know more than him just after spending 3 weeks reading up on it. I received some really good information by trough two associations, officially released material that the ENT obviously was not updated on at all - alltough it had been available for many years.

I posted my questions to see if any other person here could share their hyperacusis story.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Alxtan. Thanks. You are absolutely right. Some doctors doesn't give a damn and is not interested in T at all. Theyr on autopilot, telling people the same bull story each time. They use 30 minutes to extract the insurance policy information and 10 minutes on the "medical assessment". Well, I fast found out that the first ENT was no good.

7. thenobody

thenobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My experience with ENTs has not been very good either. Very cold and clinical. Seemed like routine for them.

8. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I usually find hyperacusis more distressing than T. But the hyperacusis gets good and bad just like my T. Would it be logical to think your ears distort to the frequency of which your T exists, so they come hand in hand that way?

9. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I believe they don't wanna deal with stuff they don't know or how to treat, almost like they become grumpy and want to send you out of the door to get rid off you. While we are the ones that suffer from this ignorant behaviour. Have you raised some critical questions to a doctor before? Most of them are scared shirtless to be confronted with information that doesn't appear in the "great big book of ignorance."

I will never ever trust a "doctor" that doesn't take an interest in T and H again. They don't know more than we do, on the contrary they seem to know less. When people like us are assessed by those kind of ENT's all they can think of is how to end the session. It's rubbish.

10. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Deep, I don't know but I'm becoming more and more occupied with TRT to solve this thing. I have now read a bunch of patients reports and user stories that supports the fact that hyperacusis is something I can get rid of!
      Because Im not in my own country I cant start this until later, but I'm eager to get going. I will get better from both my H and my T. I don't think the answer is in the ear for any of the conditions.

http://www.tinnitus.org/home/frame/THC1.htm

http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/success+stories/default.asp

• Like Like x 1
    11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Most ENT's are charging you for the privilege of being interviewed by them to see if they can make any money off you. That's about it.

12. Hi Per, My hyperacusis is just like yours. The same sounds that you describe are excruciatingly painful. I got hyperacusis after a year of dealing with tinnitus. I have been to five different ENTs and three audiologists. Not much help there. One of the audiologists is a "tinnitus and hyperacusis expert." I think she is more interested in making money with Neuromonics than with helping patients. I wish you all the best. I understand.

13. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @Per did you try TRT? My H is not painful but all sounds are much louder.

14. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      "I think she is more interested in making money with Neuromonics than with helping patients"

Unfortunately this is common.

15. Yes. It is unfortunate that this is common.

16. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Right there with Ya. Kids and women's voices kill me. Also anything high frequency like silverware clicking etc.

I stayed out of any parties or loud situations and out on ear muffs when my kids screamed for a while. My H started getting better. I started to try to expose myself to more sound and my H is worse now. I'm back at protecting from the loudest stuff. I believe the rigjt mixture will help you heal but it takes trial and error and time.

17. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I went in to see a ent. I just got tinnitus, I knew there was a window to get steroid shots. He refused. He was a lousy ent and probably person too. Ive had no luck with drs. my time is near.