I Am a Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Forever hopeful, Sep 5, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Forever hopeful

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      This is my first time posting. I am writing this as tears are landing on my iPad. I am what other posters call a "newbie". I attended a very loud rock concert two weeks ago today. There was a speaker above me about three rows ahead of me. Had no idea when I got the tickets. After the concert I had the usual ringing which resolved that night as my husband's did. Two days later I noticed a faint high pitch ring similar to what you experience when you leave a concert but not nearly as loud or pervasive. Also learned that I had bilateral middle ear fluid and was told by urgent care MD that that was what causing the ringing and it is all over the internet that that can cause tinnitus. Fluid has not resolved. Seeing ENT this Thursday. Anyway, called a retired ENT , who is a friend of the family. He said the ringing is from the concert -delayed response to the trauma -and not fluid as the ringing is an inner ear problem but I am sure you all know that. He thought it would likely be temporary due to it being a 2 hour exposure and not chronic exposure but he could not predict how long it would last. He told me to take care of my ears while they heal. I suspect he was just trying to be hopeful and nice, although I have known people who had it resolve after a few months - lucky folks. I realize that in fact it most likely will not go away. I am in the shock and utter misery stage. I have not slept in 2 weeks despite medication and an air conditioner on at night to mask the ring. I think the anxiety is interrupting my sleep more than the ringing. And I am on an anti anxiety med as well to deal with this, but I feel like the anxiety is just so high ( I am not normally an anxious person). I usually only hear the noise mostly in dead quiet or if I have the tv on low in an otherwise quiet room. Most of the time the noise of daily living drowns it out or I manage to focus on something else and cannot hear it. I can't stop trying to hear it and I get so mad at myself like I am or tiring myself. I also blame myself for going to the concert. My husband's hearing is fine. I know I have to learn to live with this but am at a loss as to how. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have found these posts to be most helpful and uplifting as I read that folks have experienced improvement in the quality of their lives. I have two young kids and need to be there for them. One plays hockey and I have no idea how I am going to spend time at his games. I have ordered a good pair of ear plugs but don't want to block out all noise just the damaging noise. And I do not want it so quiet all I hear is the ringing. I am so distraught over this but am trying to be hopeful that things will get better one way or another.
      Thanks for being there and sharing your stories.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cicadas 24/7

Cicadas 24/7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud concert
      Im sorry that you are having so much anxiety over this. Our stories are similar, as my tinnitus began after attending a loud concert as well. Mine has has been going on for 6 years now. With yours being only 2 weeks ago, perhaps there is hope that it will go away all together, or at least become less bothersome. As for ear plugs, there are types that only block out higher decibel sounds and allow normal levels to be heard. This may be something you will be interested in purchasing.

Hang in there. It will get easier to deal with. I just joined this site and think that speaking with others dealing with tinnitus will be therapeutic.

3. Forever hopeful

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Hi Cicadas 24/7,

Thanks for the response. So you got this from one concert as we'll? The ENT I spoke with indicated that most who get chronic T from noise ate those with lots of repeat exposure e.g. Factories workers etc. but again who knows of he was just trying to give me false hope.

I am not sure if the ear plugs I bought were that kind you referenced. They were expensive enough. I will look into it.

Again, thanks for responding. Wishing you the best.

4. Cicadas 24/7

Cicadas 24/7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud concert
      Yes, it was one concert...but it was in a very small bar and the band was the loudest I have ever heard. I should have left immediately after feeling discomfort, but allowed myself to be pressured into staying longer. As it was, I only stayed for an hour or so. That was all it took. That was six years ago.

Yours is a different case though, so please do not be discouraged. Just hang in there.

5. Forever hopeful

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      My concert was outside in a large venue but that darn speaker made it worse. I remember at first there was a high screech which we all responded to but that lasted only a few seconds but that is all it takes I suppose.

I checked on my earplugs. They are for musicians so I guess they must be the type you were referencing.

Take care and thanks for the support.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Welcome to TT. Your T being so new and is caused by acoustic trauma, you may want to read this thread about some treatment by steroids:

TT thread on steroid treatment:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...dexamethasone-others-oral-and-injections.348/

Talk with doctor about treatment with prednisone or other corticosteroids. Many members here recommend getting this asap for new T. In the mean time, make sure you have good masking going asap so you don't get too anxious or fearful of the T sound. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. Here is the TT thread with an audio player giving you many masking sounds, and you have good tips and links to many useful sites. Take good care & God bless your recovery.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

7. Forever hopeful

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Hi Billie48,

Thank you for your response. The anxiety is brutal. I am fighting just sinking into a deep depression. Even with meds, I can't eat or sleep. I am going to invest in a good noise machine, as I am terrified about what is going to happen when the colder weather hits and the windows are closed and air conditioners off. I had not heard of the use of steroids and my ENT friend said nothing about it. I will bring this to the ENT I am seeing Thursday.
      Thanks again for the support.

8. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Masking is very helpful I can't tell you it will be easy it is just one of those things in life we must get through but you must endure the first few months of this there are thousands of people that have been through what you are going through so it is alright and quite normal to have anxiety and think it will never get better but have faith it will get better and you will get back to your life and do the things you did before it just takes time. The process will most likely make you stronger and teach you about over coming in life . It is not something any of us would ever wish for but just to wish it would go away but you will habituate to it . Don't go crazy with magical cures ect. but just try to relax as much as possible get meds right now if you need them it is mostly a Psychological thing more than a physical thing that is if it is tinnitus . So to sum it up your brain will do all the work and it will take time within a year there will probably be long periods of time you won't even notice it . Hang in there you will be just fine after a while and We know it is hard but you can get through the anxiety and stress then you will start to feel a lot better. Uncle Vikin

• Creative Creative x 1
    9. Forever hopeful

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Thank you for your kind words of support Vikin. What lovely and supportive people on this site. I am trying to have faith that I will habituated and return to normal. I think, based on what I read, mine is probably mild. I do not hear it over most ambient noise unless the tv is very low and the room very quiet. I find watching tv in the living room hard because it is quiet and sometimes the tv is not loud enough to mask it but generally speaking, the noise of daily living helps. I have an audiology appointment this week and am ENT so I should have a better sense if there was hearing loss too.

Thanks again for the support.

10. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      It can be annoying for a while but have patience as it will get better but T does take its time to habituate in some cases I am at the 1 year mark and it is really going down to where it really does not bother me now you will get there .