I Can't Live Like This

Discussion in 'Support' started by regreatful, Jun 20, 2017.

1. regreatful

regreatful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Piercing ring gone, but still have ringing/hissing. It's getting better, but I can't take it. I am so depressed, I just want to die to finally get silence. No way I can live like this.

Will it ever end?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I will assume that you have had tests at ENT and they show no abnormalities. If this is the case, then a referral to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for tinnitus treatment and management is usually the next step. Click on the links below and read both articles that you might find helpful. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I know exactly how you feel, I am in that same state right now:(:cry:

Kudos to you on surviving it since Oct. 2016 though! Right now I can't imagine surviving this 6 months let alone years or a lifetime.....I'm just not built for that, NO WAY!

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You will get through this bad patch @TheDanishGirl and things will improve. Tinnitus is like riding a roller coaster in the early stages, because it has many twists and turns and each day can bring a different experience. The good thing about this condition, it will make you into a stronger person, just give it time...

Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You are a lot stronger than you know. Never give up! Tinnitus is bad, all of us hate it with passion, but life does not end. You can help yourself by distracting your mind from tinnitus. There are many techniques that one can use to distract their mind and relax/reduce stress.

Handling tinnitus at first is a bit hard, but if you allow it, over time it can get easier. Anger/stress are key triggers that make tinnitus feel even more horrible. Take your time, accept the tinnitus and just try to not obsess over it.

Accepting is the biggest part with tinnitus.

Be well....

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      The first six month are the worst, but you will get used to it over time. It may never or or it will end one day, but you will get used to it and as Michael said things WILL improve, being positive is the best therapy.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it is getting better, there is a chance that eventually it will get a lot better...

• Like Like x 2
    8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Let's be positive but honest. I told about my habitation from having a 10/10 loud buzzing where after 3.5 years, I never thought about it. One of the techniques that I learned from a neuro brain surgeon was to get involved in an on going project. Another was to deeply focus on positive past events in your life. Example would be a family picnic. Maybe you and others played a few games of horseshoes during your picnic outing. Try to recall or regenerate memory of all the people that played in the game. When trying to sleep, place yourself in a safe place, like a secure cabin in the woods. This should be not be considered a child's game. Another form to recall past experiences is to look thru old family photo albums or draws of items that you have collected, but not viewed for years.

I gain new very high pitch tinnitus three months ago, it a 10/10. There's a difference between a 10/10 high buzz and a 10/10 high pitch. A 10/10 high pitch is like a police siren at a few feet. I need Xanax and it will be a different road back to even part of a normal life.

I posted yesterday actual scans that are being released from a major California Tech University. The area mentioned is 2 small parts of the brain that involves memories - non active, past emotional thought and perfection disorders. This is the biggest news on tinnitus ever to this point. Let's hope now for a drug.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Back when I was particularly agitated as a result of T, I found positive memories like that to be especially disturbing. My mom reminding me of a good and peaceful day we got to share, made me weep uncontrollably. The contrast between that day and what I felt as a result of T was too much (actually, I am finding it difficult not to burst into tears as I am typing this - I really ought to do my best never to think back to any of the good times I got to experience). This experience made me question the value of positive memories. I realize that different people have different perceptions, so hopefully I am one of only few people for whom this technique doesn't work.

Ever since my dad passed away 22 years ago at the age of 47, I have never looked at any photos that were taken more than 22 years ago. I don't want to be reminded of what happened to my dad, which will certainly happen if I were to see a photo with him in it.

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer

You and I are very close friends, but I have to disagree with your thoughts with your disagreement to my thoughts. Jasterboff as finally been proven right on his theories of years ago, according to the scans that I posted. Research the biology of those scans. Research the limbic and temporal lobes with focus on emotional reactions. Many with tinnitus have many common personality traits not mentioned above. They are intelligent, able to learn several languages, often makes quick decisions, but are often risk takers. When they attain tinnitus - those risk taking value drops and fear values increase. So searching your past for good memories will excite emotions such as seeing a happy time with a parent who just moved on. You must turn all emotions seen in a photo album to positive emotions. If you are the type that must have all the labels of cans facing forward on the selves in your kitchen, then you have a compulsive disorder and you will not have habitation.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have always been as risk averse as one can possibly be...

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Researchers have known that activity in the amygdala was associated with emotional processing. But within the scans that I posted show nerve conductive reaction to the limbic function and temporal lobes. A drug hopefully will be found to cure tinnitus. It will obviously be a blood flow drug with psychological properties. Discussions with major drug companies to find a combo drug among 30000 chemical compounds in their data banks has started.

PubMed as reported by another poster (credit to him for the chart and number of abstracts 703). many of these abstracts are bogus studies. Many are supported by grants from hospitals, academic college researchers, manufacturers of tinnitus therapy, audio center research for a hearing device, supplement and vitamin companies. Tinnitus like many medical conditions have many involvers also looking for a paycheck. The internet is loaded with media articles that say nothing beyond a definition of tinnitus. There's about 50 ethical associations involved with tinnitus research. As of 2016, 35 of them are focusing on the brain.