I Deprive Myself of Foods

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl28, May 22, 2015.

1. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Chocolates, chips (also the loud crunching in my mouth), Ice-creams, sweet things, lollies, biscuits etc....

I don't eat any of them because I worry they will make my tinnitus worse and I only ever drink water.

It really sucks

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      To be honest, all those things make me happy and lowers my tinnitus. Even coffee and alcohol. The hangovers are quite bad though :sick:. They say moderation has a better taste. Depriving of all the things you like doesn't sound very moderate.

3. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Eat what you want, if it makes your t worse, stop eating them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Sounds like you have misophonia alongside your tinnitus. Assuming that the ringing in your ears is not reactive to sound you could get this treated by seeing a therapist.

When my tinnitus was in its infancy I was also scared of sound. Sound does influence my tinnitus, but normally it's after exposure of 10 or more minutes and any spike has traditionally settled overnight. So I have done my best to limit the use of ear plugs and sound avoidance measures whilst still having respect to my current limitations. I found that dealt with some of my misophonia.

5. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      yeah if tinnitus is normal and not reactive u should be fine. mines very reactive to sounds and never was to food til i ate a chocolate protein bar and boom after that no more chocolate but still sweets here and there...

6. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      I get a bit of misophonia to the shower. Some days it spikes my tinnitus other days it does not. So I admit I become a little apprehensive. Unfortunately T is usually not predictable until it has settled down. For some people it settles quickly, for others a bit longer and for few it doesn't at all. Tinnitus is lame! :p

7. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      this is me half of the time sucks.. and yeah i know what u mean by the shower good thing my shower head is mobile as its detachable

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I dont have misophonia I just worry that the stuff thats in those kind of foods will make my tinnitus spike or get worse.

9. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      don't worry, eat them if you get a spike, have a few beers to chillax the tinnitus.

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hey look on the bright side - you are going to be super healthy avoiding those foods like the plague.
      Water is the best thing for you. have a nice bowl of water.

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Yeah, I had those worries when my tinnitus started.

Reading that all manner of foods could aggravate the condition made me eat a very small selection of foods indeed.

Nowadays however I eat what I like when I like with no effect on my tinnitus. You are probably worrying about nothing.

12. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When my T just started I avoided everything, afraid that it would make my T worse. It is what they call the tinnitus prison, depriving yourself of everything that makes life worth living.

Nowadays though I eat and drink everything when I want, in moderation, and most has no effect on my T whatsoever, sometimes after a few beers my T is slightly louder though, but that does not stop my from having a few once in awhile. Just live your life and enjoy the things you used to enjoy.

You are in control, not your T.

13. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      Totally agree! I'm 3 months with T and recently just started to eat and drink everything I used to befor T.. Even coffee... As a matter of fact I believe I think less about my T now that I'm not obsessed with everything possibly making T worst! Enjoying life is the best T remedy... Still have my bad days but I'm having more ok and good ones now!!!! Good luck

14. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Thankfully my tinnitus isn't affected by foods however I try to stay away from crunchy foods like Cheetos since it sometimes it makes my myoclonus act up.

15. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      For 40 years I've had to be careful with crunchy food. it's just something I have to do.
      Caffeine, and especially sugar sends my T into outer space. Aspirin too.
      Every time I go to a party where there's food I know I'm going to get into the pop and sweets and pay for it. It's usually a 3 to 5 day spike.

16. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      When I first got T I gave up caffeine....for about three days. I realized the caffeine had no effect on my T.

For me, if the foods cause my T to worsen, then I'll consider stopping. However, the only for or drink that seems to make my T slightly worse is alcohol...but after a few beers I really don't care!

Life is too short for me to give up some of the simple pleasures, unless they really do make my T worse.

Do what you feel you need to do. I just hope you are not making yourself miserable in the process.