I Developed SSHL and Severe Tinnitus on 4/3/2016

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dominic1955, May 10, 2016.

1. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Hello everyone, I developed SSHL and severe tinnitus, started 4/3/2016 . I had steroids orally and intratympanic , 5 weeks gone and nothing, I am very depressed and I can't work with this loud tinnitus. I am looking for someone who similar experience and recovered
      I would like to know how long it took and did it improve slowly or it was suddenly gone?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. While I don't have SSHL, I have hearing loss in the high frequency, hence my T is ultra high pitch. There are a lot of members with SSHL. Perhaps you read up the success stories and do a search there for SSHL. You should be able to find many success stories for people who have SSHL, such as this one. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/sshl-faith-hope-and-lots-of-prayers.12412/

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hello Dominic,
      I was hit with idiopathic sshl in 2013. My left ear is profoundly deaf. The bad news.... I still have the ear fullness, tinnitus and sensitivity to sound. The good news.....these things don't overwhelm me now. They just annoy me. It took many months for the anxiety to decrease and I found a good therapist to help me through that.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Yesterday it was a better day, could not sleep last night took 2 5mg ambien at 140am got up at 5am
      T loud Almost 6 weeks now

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I was unable to work today, left office after 2 hrs
      Struggling still since April 2/16

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      It's seem my anxiety is getting worse instead of better, first week I was able to sleep last 5 weeks I can't, took 1mg of Xanax last night, was tossing all night had masking music too will it ever start to get better? Help
      Dominic

7. Suzie

Suzie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2014
      Hi Dominic
      I feel your pain. I don't share SSHL with you but I got tinnitus 4/29/2013 out of the blue. I too became extremely anxious and I didn't know how I was going to live with this noise screaming in my ears! I found this site thank God and read all the stories and found comfort in the fact that I was not alone. what I did was get on a mild anti depressant just for short term in order to deal with it and to figure out how to live with it. Being so anxious didn't free up my mind
      I learned here that I must habituate. It takes times but it does happen!! I read only success stories.....EVERY NIGHT.
      I am one of those success stories. It took me about 6 weeks for my mind to finally accept the ringing and now I don't hear it. I still cant believe it. yes, there are times of course I do hear it and times that its louder than normal but I know today that it passes...it always passes. I found a great hero on this link who has helped so many sufferers. I would like you to get in touch with him or participate in the thread. He is: 'I Who Loves Music' : https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/page-38#post-180756
      He figured out a 'solution', you might say, called " back to silence" that has helped me and many others.....please check it out and I want you to know that IT GETS BETTER!
      God bless
      Suzie

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Had a tough night again, could not sleep hissing noise in my lt ear continues with a vengeance.
      I am asking myself how long does it take to habituate, it's the weekend but Monday I have a full schedule in my office, I have applied for partial disability but I love my job!
      My hearing loss did not improve but it's minor problem compared to the T

9. Suzie

Suzie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2014
      Hi Dominic
      I feel your pain. I don't share SSHL with you but I got tinnitus 4/29/2013 out of the blue. I too became extremely anxious and I didn't know how I was going to live with this noise screaming in my ears! I found this site thank God and read all the stories and found comfort in the fact that I was not alone. what I did was get on a mild anti depressant just for short term in order to deal with it and to figure out how to live with it. Being so anxious didn't free up my mind
      I learned here that I must habituate. It takes times but it does happen!! I read only success stories.....EVERY NIGHT.
      I am one of those success stories. It took me about 6 weeks for my mind to finally accept the ringing and now I don't hear it. I still cant believe it. yes, there are times of course I do hear it and times that its louder than normal but I know today that it passes...it always passes. I found a great hero on this link who has helped so many sufferers. I would like you to get in touch with him or participate in the thread. He is: 'I Who Loves Music' : https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/page-38#post-180756
      He figured out a 'solution', you might say, called " back to silence" that has helped me and many others.....please check it out and I want you to know that IT GETS BETTER!
      God bless
      Suzie[/QUOTE]

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Will be 2 months on June 2nd still struggling with SSHL and tinnitus, I had 2 good days, anxiety decreased, this morning tinnitus loud but I seem less anxious, I ordered and got fitted with a hearing aid from dr Gail Brenner in Philadelphia yesterday. I started to have an appetite and actually ate well yesterday and I was able to sleep last 2 nights only using 1 Xanax
      Dominic

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I did see audiologist for TRT. She gave me an hearing aid and 3800 dollar bill, I used it with no relief. Last night I developed vertigo in bed, tinnitus and hearing loss continue. Will be 2 months in June. I am hoping not to get vertigo again. My anxiety is better, I no longer feel suicidal but I can't concentrate at work.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      It's almost 2 months, tinnitus still loud but anxiety is better, went back to work seeing patients again, hearing loss (severe) persists.
      I was able to sleep again

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Just update and need help ! 3 months now and I noted that my severe hearing loss is becoming worse now it's profound! T anH also increasing!
      I was hoping to start to feel better, anyone with SSHL continue to decompensate and then improve? Help
      Dominic

14. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Is this hearing loss in both ears?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Just my left

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Dominic,
      I'm sorry that your hearing loss is worse. I also have profound loss in my left ear but mine happened all at once. Every sound I hear (introduced in my good ear) causes a reaction in my bad ear. Chirping birds, ticking clocks, texting fingers...I hear and feel a garbled noise in my deaf ear. It's crazy. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring the reaction to little noises now. I also hear noise in quiet rooms (tinnitus) but it is noisy places that bother me most.
      Have you tested for a cros hearing aid? In my case, this was not a good option but cros aids do help many people with unilateral loss. I also experimented with masking but without success. Many people on this forum find masking helpful though, so you might try that.
      My only real help came from a behavioral therapist and the passing of time but I am so much better today than I was three years ago! I expect to be even better three years from now!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Lorac how is your H, it's seems my is getting more painful !
      Did it get better for u?

18. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was a sharper pain in the beginning. Now, it is more of a constant discomfort. Do people with chronic pain just get used to being in pain? I find that vigorously massaging my ear helps when the discomfort spikes more. I had one doctor call my problem hyperacusis and another call it recruitment. I respond to all sound and not just a particular range of sound, so I think recruitment is more likely.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      It's 5 months since I developed SSHL and T
      My T is still loud, especially this week! And it makes me feel depressed
      Hypercusis and blocked feeling in my lt ear is gone
      I do get episodes of dizziness
      My hearing remains poor
      I have T but no anxiety but it irritates me greatly, can't feel happy
      Can't sleep woke up at 4 am

Any one with similar symptoms who got better ?
      Dom

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Last night took an ambien and 7.5 mg of Remron,
      I slept 10 hrs, when I woke up my T was a 2!
      Last week was a 10
      Hoping it stays a 2!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Today my T is a ten again, did not take Remron last night, trying to mask today Sucks

22. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Dominic1955 ,
      I noticed you were not posting as often and I was hoping that was because your situation was improving. I'm sorry that you are still suffering so much.
      It's hard to compare one person's T to another. We are all so different. I can tell you that my problems were still peaking at the five month mark. It took more than a year for me to begin habituating. I hope things get better for you.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Thanks @Lorac , I am up and down ! Yesterday it was a 2 today it's a 10 I can't figure out why?
      When it's a 2 it would be easy to habituate when it's a 10 it's impossible
      It's good to hear that I still have a chance at habituation
      Dom

• Like Like x 1
    24. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Hello
      Dominic.

You will need more time to adapt and adjust to your SSHL and Tinnitus. I have lost all hearing now for just over a year and had very limited hearing in my left ear for the previous 3 years and used an expensive hearing aid that I really hated. My Tinnitus is as severe as you can possibly imagine. As you rate things, mine would be a constant 10 each and every day. Combined with no hearing, it really sucks and cannot even try to mask it with background noise etc. So the last full year has been a hell however every day is a slight bit easier to cope with. Tried various meds like yourself but always afraid to be addicted to anything or in a habit forming scenario. So best to just accept it and do your best to keep your mind from thinking about it. It's very hard and does take time. I collect a small disability now and is just barely enough for basic needs. Can't even afford my own living space. I remember that things actually could be worse. I see a few neighbors in wheelchairs etc and ask myself how difficult it must be even to bathe or use the washroom. How hard it must be to dress. Most probably cannot drive. Things like this keep me going and less focused on my SSHL and T.

Hang in there Dominic. Time is your best weapon against both SSHL and Tinnitus. We can all adapt to whatever gets tossed at us!!

Regards,

Mike

• Like Like x 2
    25. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This is the 1M$ question for me: Why can be changing so much from day to day? For me it varies between 2-8. Do you see any pattern?
      I'm tracking now for 5 weeks and I seem to have periodically 2-4 bad days every 6 days.

26. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Candy i tried hearing aids no help

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      It's six months now, not any better! Still having loud T and hearing loss, I guess it's now chronic.
      I did have few good days but they have been mostly bad
      Dom

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Last 3 days my T is almost gone? Weird if it continues I will write a success story!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That would be fantastic! Good luck!

• Like Like x 2