I Don't Want to Give Up Music, What Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louis.m, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Louis.m
      Asleep

Louis.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud headphones and industrial machinery.
      I love music, I am fascinated by its ability to move people, to inspire, to make one feel like a king, to bring one to tears, to relax and make one feel so awake and alive, I dream of making music one day, however, after years of exposure to loud music via headphones the finishing blow was dealt by loud machinery at work, a gut wrenching dread has come over me, That this dream might slip though my fingers..

I am fearful that this frustratingly bothersome ringing in my ears might become worse or my perception of it might increase if the right actions are not taken, this sound is distasteful to say the least, despite it, I truly wish to persue that dream, good people I ask you, I beg you, how am I to do that? What methods should I employ, what actions must I take? To at the very least prevent this condition from becoming worse without sacrificing music?

I want to continue to listen and learn with a newfound caution, I want to enjoy below the threshold of consequence, I simply refuse to let a single sour note stop me from listening to and creating countless patterns of beautiful ones, I am aware that there is must still to learn about this condition, but for what it's worth, what can I do to prevent it from becoming a crippeling obstacle in a inherently sound heavy industry?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Louis.m

It is clear you are deeply passionate about music and listened to it through headphones at high volume levels. As a result you developed tinnitus. You are not alone for I succumbed to the same plight 22 years ago. I am Audiophile and used to listen to music through high quality headphones. I still enjoy music but now Iisten through speakers. Therefore, I believe in time you will be able to do the same.

Because your tinnitus was caused by headphones, I strongly advise you to never use them again even at low volume. Below, please find links that will take you to posts that I have written about tinnitus that you might find helpful.
      Things will improve just give it time.

Take care and all the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louis.m
      Asleep

Louis.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud headphones and industrial machinery.
      @Michael Leigh

I really appreciate the quick and highly informative response, thank you.

The news about headphones is quite a letdown however, I see you mentioned speakers, what other ways are there around this? Is there at all some kind of product that will harmlessly allow me go about the a amount of running and walking I usually do? I so greatly enjoy spending that time listening to music, and might I ask why even low volumes are a bad thing? Surly if it is quiet enough it won't cause any more damage?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Louis.m

I have written extensively in this forum and others, regarding the use of headphones for people that have "noise induced tinnitus". Please believe me it is not a good idea to use them even at low volume. It is true, some people with Noise induced tinnitus, use headphones without any adverse effects. However, one is taking a risk every time using them. Information is in my article in the link I sent you: Tinnitus, A Personal View, in above. Please also go to my "started threads" there are plenty posts there on the detrimental effects that headphone use can cause for people with NIT if things go wrong. Please click on the links below.

There is no way around this if you want to get better and stay that way in my opinion. Don't use headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds for the moment. There are many posts in this forum, written by distressed people that returned to using headphones and kept the volume low and now regret it, because their tinnitus has increased and will not return to it's previous manageable level. Tinnitus can be ruthless and very unforgiving if one doesn't not respect it, I promise you.

Sorry to sound so sobering but you must realize what you are dealing with.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/headphones-and-tinnitus.12062/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/headphones-—-white-noise-generators-and-tinnitus.12112/

• Like Like x 1
    5. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      I also have tinnitus from headphones and one concert (acoustic trauma) ... I would also suggest you stop wearing headphones because it is really risky.

However, since they are a part of our life and you have to use them from time to time, I suggest that you put in earplugs and then headphones over them.

Put the music on low volume. You will still be able to hear it.

I usually never put volume over the sound of my tinnitus. It is always below so that I can hear the tinnitus and music.

I use headphones only when I need them, and mostly for watching series if I am on the bus or in my dorm room. As much as we don't want to admit it, we are already crippled and if you don't wanna hear a very loud tinnitus you should be exposed to loud music much less than before.

I have a friend who got tinnitus at the age of 19 while playing in a band. He is now 34. He ignored it and continued playing. He is also a sound guy so he is in the club almost every night. He never wore earplugs. He has hyperacusis and terrible tinnitus and he is deaf in one ear.

However, what I like about him is that he completely ignores it and lives life the same as before... Unfortunately, in 10 years I think he will go deaf in his other ear... :/

So, my point is rest your ears as much as possible and always take precautions when listening to music. Take ginkgo because it improves circulation in the inner ear which accelerates the process of healing.

Also, you can ask an ENT to give you Betahistine... It won't reduce tinnitus, but it will improve circulation in the ear and it will diminish the feeling of ear fullness and maybe even pain. It has helped me in that sense because when I stopped taking it the ear fullness came back....

Don't give up on music. There is only one life and, maybe you get hit by a car tomorrow...

6. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
      You do not have to abandon the music. Just be a little careful. in my opinion if you have to abandon everything and be confined in a basement it is better to be definitely underground instead of pretending.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Be mindful of sound volume. I don't see any reason to ditch headphones altogether, but it would be wise to ensure that the volume you listen at is reasonable. The definition of reasonable depends on your particular case, so you should ask your doctors about it (some people are more sensitive to sound than others).