I Get a Rumble and Crackle for 2 Seconds Whenever There's a Sound in a Quiet Environment

Discussion in 'Support' started by jhl, Dec 31, 2018.

1. jhl

jhl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows
      So for as long as I’ve had tinnitus, I have this thing that’s got a little worse.

Whenever there is a sound and I’m in quiet (like a soda pop can popped or I drop a thumbtack on a table) my ear gets a rumble and crackle for 2 seconds. I have been to an ENT and they found nothing.

If I wake up in the middle of the night I can hear the crackling and almost feel it when I move my head.

Also during the valsalva maneuver the ear I have tinnitus in pops ridiculously easy and sometimes feels full. The crackle is mostly in the other ear.

I can also rumble my ears whenever I want.

Thanks

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds like Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS). For more information, search this site. Normally, it goes away within a year.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jhl

jhl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows
      @Bill Bauer hi Bill thanks for your response. I edited my post to add one thing maybe the most important who knows. When I wake in the middle of the night and move my head from side to side in silence or up and down, I get the crackling sound. None of this stuff happened before I had T. Does this still sound like it?

Also whenever I have posted on here you have always responded with great information and I thank you for that

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Agree ...

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When you move your head, is there any sound as a result? If there is and it is created close to your ear (as would be the case if your head were to touch the pillow and move), even if it is not very loud, it would most likely be TTTS (not loud + close to the ear = loud enough). In my case, it would manifest itself as me hearing a "whoosh" sound every time I would finish talking (even if I whispered).

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are most welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @jhl Hello. Yes there would be a TTTS reaction with cracking sounds, but you nailed the cause yourself within your history - the jaw.

Read the full article.

There are other articles that are more complex that show nerve and muscle connections from the jaw to the ear. Other things may need to be considered such as your C spine C1 C2.

https://www.tmjtreatmentsc.com/explaining-tinnitus-ear-muscles-jaw-muscles/

Update: I would also read the articles to left of article.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 1