I Got Low Hum Tinnitus for Christmas...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KeyLime, Jan 5, 2017.

1. KeyLime
      No Mood

KeyLime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hello everyone!

In the middle of December, I came down with an upper respiratory infection. My ears got all clogged. On the 23rd, a low humming sound started. I went to an urgent care center to confirm see if I had an infection. As t turned out my ears were not infected, but just filled with fluid. Over the past 2 weeks, the full feeling has diminished, but the hum has remained.

I've read other posts here, and it seems like some of you also have low humming tinnitus that started with a cold, and hung around long term.

Right now, it is in my right ear. It goes away if I sleep on my right ear, but usually comes back in an hour or two. It stops humming when I talk or hum, or if someone standing close to me talks or hums. It also stops for a split second when I quickly move my head to the right. I'm hoping there's still some fluid in there that's causing this, and it will resolve itself.

Thankfully, I only really notice it at home or other quiet places and I'm able to sleep with the help of a white noise machine. I'm scared that it will get worse.

If it goes on for another week, I will probably see my primary care dr and possibly get a referral to an ENT to rule out anything more serious.

Did any of you have a low hum after a cold for longer than two weeks that resolved on its own?

Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi KeyLime,

Welcome to the site.

I would definitely go see an ENT as soon as possible so that he or she can see what is going on. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It seems your T is somatic in nature. Hopefully when the root cause of the tinnitus is found, your T which is quite mild can fade away. If the ringing bothers you when things are quiet such as sleep time, masking it with some sounds or music will help.

• Like Like x 1
    4. buzztone

buzztone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      KeyLime, your T sounds exactly like mine, except mine is in my left ear. I got an upper respiratory infection in late December and at the end of the month a continuous low tone (a tone around the "E" below middle C on the piano) began and shows no signs of stopping. Sometimes it fills my head like a buzzing beehize. I've always been sensitive to sound in that ear, so it makes sense, in a way...

White noise (like office air systems or a car engine) sometimes quell it to the point where I barely notice it, so I consider myself lucky. An urgent care doctor didn't see anything amiss after taking a quick look, so I too am planning to make an ENT appointment after my insurance kicks in next month.

When I try to fall asleep, I do what I do with annoying car alarms - I imagine music to build around the tone, and am able to fall asleep. I try to think of the buzzing, constant tone as a blanket rather than an iron sheet. I have gone through periods of despair this week, but this life is short and I refuse to let this condition define or deflate me.

You're not alone!

• Like Like x 3
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KeyLime
      No Mood

KeyLime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Buzztone, that's exactly it! I was out all morning and didn't notice it all...for which I'm thankful! Hopefully it's just a lingering side effect of the virus and it clears for both of us soon!