I Hate Loud Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I took a walk in my neighborhood today. It was a beautiful rainy fall day and the smells outside from the slowly decaying leaves and flowers were gorgeous, something I have not smelled at home for 4 years. My neighborhood is already super peaceful and quiet like this...usually

And then the world's loudest motorcycle rolled down the street with the loudest exhaust you can imagine right alongside me, and the moron revved up when he saw me plugging my ears. I did not have my earplugs because well I thought I might as well be struck my lightning for me to come across super loud noise like that in such a pristine environment.

So now a new T spike and more hearing loss in the low frequencies. I hope to god it comes back, but that sound must have been over 100 db it was so bad. I had at least 80-85 with vibration when I plugged my ears up. Is this just an anxiety reaction or was I possibly in any real danger?

Anyway, I am going to file a noise complaint to the city. I've been around plenty of motorcycles recently and none of them have been that loud. They have no place being housed here and abusing people in this neighborhood.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hate them too, and the idiots that modify them to make them louder.

I don't even like southpark, but I thought this was spot on:

PS. I doubt you'll have any permanent increase from once incident.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      When I come into power I'm going to outlaw them. I will then implement a counseling network for those affected by their small penis.

Vote 1 Squeek

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think you will be fine, I routinely ride bikes and mine redlines at around 111db.

That said, people who have illegally loud exhausts are dicks and shouldn't have driver's licenses.

@squeek I can believe your counseling may help me get over my modest endowment, but I'm still going to have to contend with the need... the need... for speed!

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Codaz

Codaz Member

The rules are not yet defined well enough (there is no periodical check on motorcycles) and the most of the police is motorcycle fan as well, so the chance of motorcycles with loud exhausts being fined is low.
      Most of them I suspect them to remove the dB killer because of the shitty reason that he motorcycle runs better or something.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Codaz

I do agree that noise ordinances regarding motorcycles are not effectively reinforced just about anywhere you go. I'm not sure if it has so much to do with the police appreciating motorcycles as much as it as to due with this culture's acceptance of loud noise in general. Since the noise is generally only transient (unless you happen to be a neighbor of a loud Harley owner), I think that adds more to the lack of regulation.

Loud motorcycle fanatics will come up with excuses for making their motorcycles far too loud and making their presence known in the most irritating way to everyone who crosses their path. They even claim that the loud noise allows cars to spot them better and to avoid accidents; well pretty much all motorcycles are loud and noticeable in any case, and the cause of many accidents falls to either the driver failing to look carefully and watch the road (for a variety of reasons) or for the motorcycle riders doing something dangerous and likely illegal themselves.

7. Codaz

Codaz Member

This is exactly what I was made aware of, one of them made the excuse that his motorcycle was louder so stupid car drivers who where texting and driving would hear him. Texting and driving is also very stupid, but not as stupid as making yourself even louder. It's like an arms race of who is the loudest. Who is the most irritating guy on the road. Horrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      So do I!

9. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I hate loud motorcycles too.
      I love my motorcycle though.

10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Well I keep my earmuffs ready In hand in case some loud motorcycles or cars were to pass by - that's pretty much all we can do at this stage ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Bobby B

I know. With the heavy bass those things produce, earplugs are sometimes not enough either. *grumbles grumbles*

I mean, why would people do this to their ears anyway? They should know that with bass at that level, they have a good chance of acquiring vestibular issues along with all the horrible T and hearing loss. In thinking back on it it it is clearly a dismal sort of madness when they do not use some kind of ear protection.

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I had a big motorcycle with very loud exhaust and also a 8cylinder car with straight pipes - no muffler or cat at all - all sounded great .
      You don't hear it that much when you drive it.. The sound goes towards the back behind you
      I guess guys like loud motorcycles or cars that's just the way it has always been
      All we can do now is to protect the ears

Emergency cars siren are way louder though Anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I hate them too. Not all bikes, just the ones that their owners have messed up for the only reason to make it louder. An unmuffled Harley can get to 120Db (https://www.quora.com/How-loud-can-a-motorcycle-get), there usually are laws in place, but I never heard about police officers being equipped to measure sound levels or actually act on it unless it's too abusive.

Since the vehicle is moving and the exhaust is aimed to the back, it's not that bad to the rider. For the rider, as far as I know, the worse is the wind noise. I don't know why someone would mess with a perfectly good vehicle with the only intend on drawing attention to oneself. But it is what it is.

• Like Like x 2