I Hate My Neighbor

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Feb 15, 2018.

1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      My neighbor plays his damn stereo every day extremely loudly in his garage with the door open. Now he started a construction project and as I speak, there's a 110dB jackhammer in his house blaring int MY backyard. He blasts his terrible country music whenever I get home from school everyday. Does he think he's cool or something? Because literally everyone else on the street thinks he's a complete tool. We've asked him to shut the hell up so many times yet he never stops because apparently "it's a free country". It is but we're still gonna ask him to shut up. I wish he would move to a trailer park or something, he drives the rest of us absolutely mad. I think tinnitus is absolutely awful, but I really hope this guy gets it BAD. He's a rare example of someone who deserves it.
      uC0bhxR.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Can you report him as a noisy neighbour etc.
      Maybe post a letter to him how its like to live with tinnitus and printed information on tinnitus and how he could help you a little by kindly reducing his music.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Doesn't matter he probably could care less. Apparently the Mexicans across the street tried that. Good idea but it didn't work and all the housing association did was tell the neighbor to move his old car. I've had my dill with this hillbilly I'm just gonna egg his house later. I'm done trying to reason with him.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hey I resemble that remark....:wacky: So that is why you hate country music. Just kidding.

Okay this is a real problem to solve. Right now there are three construction of houses going on here at the beach. I have to keep my windows closed and wear my bose headset.

Is it a house or condo or apartment building? Is he a renter or homeowner?

There are city ordinances that you can go find at your local city hall. Or even call to see what the process is for your city. The problem you will need the other neighbors to join a campaign with signed names to present to the city hall.

Some cities have police that just deal with this issue. You could call your local police department or look it up on the internet for more ways to stop the stupid neighbor's noise pollution. Some departments have officers that will go to the offender and issue warnings or fines.

He does not seem like the type you want to deal with one on one.

5. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Im sure if you had a friendly chat about how much you suffer with your ears and what his loud music is doing to them and your mental Health day in day out he might just feel guilty about it .
      Give him a chance first...he could have depression and that music gives him a lift so do the nice approach first.
      Love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      IDK If you're trying to fight depression then country music is NOT the music of choice. And I could care less how he feels I just want him to shut up. I already gave him a chance. It's very obvious he's not going to stop. I would gladly ask again but it's basically like talking to a wall.

Yeah that's actually probably part of it.

He's a homeowner. We tried the police but apparently it's not disturbing the peace enough. I wish there was some way to deal with him but some people are just unreasonable.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @threefirefour

Sorry to hear of the disturbance your neighbour is causing. How about you and the other residence come together and write a polite letter, asking him to please lower the level of his music and whether he can try not to work too late in the evening doing his contruction work. The diplomatic approach might work rather than confronting him with demands.

Keep a copy of the letter so that you can attach it to a cover letter, signed by you and the other residence. Send this registered, to your housing association or enviromental health department of your local authority, to make a formal complaint against him for anti-social behaviour. In this case for being a noise nuisance.

If possible record the sounds on your mobile phone with dates and times.
      Best of luck

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      We had a problem with neighbours and sent then a noise abatement order and that worked great !
      I carn't say on here what they were doing as Im sure it would even shock @Markku...haha...lol
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Okay if you have a housing association then have someone look through the bylaws about this issue. If you are paying a monthly/yearly fee this should be a part of the bylaws. They have bylaws on the number of pets, or how you can landscape and what color of outside paint is allowed.

If the association has meetings record the noise and racket and present it at the meeting and have back up with your other neighbors.

It is one of the most difficult issues to deal with.

Sorry you have to deal with it. It sucks when people like that affect your well being.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery

Ugg at one time we had nudist neighbors!!!! And not the type one would really want to see.
      The only solution was taller trees. :arghh:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks for the idea this may work great. I wish this were a lot easier to deal with too.
      This one is helpful too. thanks.

Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas, I'm going to try them out and see how it works. ofc I'm gonna egg him too because it's been a long time coming. I'll see if I can give and update later if any of these ideas worked :)

• Like Like x 2
    12. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Lol...I think mine could top that hands down and the letter I wrote and put through their letter box....
      Now I am laughing my head off...ROFLMAO..
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    13. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Umm, simply put, call the police. If he's disturbing the peace and creating noise pollution then the police should actually be handling it especially if you and your neighbors have already tried reasoning with him. The police will ask for your info... if you're not comfortable giving yours then make something up. He sounds like a real asshole. Oh don't tell him you have tinnitus or any problem with your ears!! Some people are very mean and cruel - you don't want a dickhead like him knowing a vulnerability of yours.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      ...and call the police again every time his does it in the future. Eventually he'll get it.

"Free country"... sounds like a real winner.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      My advice is somewhat different. I would advise you to buy a set of the biggest speakers you can afford, and an extremely powerful stereo amplifier. Aquire a copy of The 1812 Overture, with real canons. The Mercury Living Presence recordings of this piece, either mono or stereo, are very old, but excellent for this purpose, on vinyl or CD. Aim the speakers at his house. Turn on the CD or turntable, crank up the amp, put on your ear protection, and get the hell out of there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Hey that's a great idea
      Untitled.png

• Like Like x 1
    17. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Back when I lived in an apartment I had some really noisy neighbors, all day and night, they were extremely obnoxious. I actually got into a physical confrontation with the husband at one point, long story short he tried to attack me and it didn't go so well for him. Not wanting to have to beat him up again and possibly be evicted and/or arrested, I decided to stop confronting them and just fight fire with fire. I started pointing my speakers at the ceiling, turning my subwoofer all the way up, getting into my car and driving away, not returning for hours... After a few weeks of that they got the message.

• Like Like x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      >Just beating him up.
      Trust me by the time I'm done with my neighbor he's gonna wish I was that nice.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Rather than blasting the William Tell Overture, might I suggest instead doing a bit of tinnitus tone matching and then blasting the sound of your tinnitus. Give him a preview of his future if he doesn’t stop with the annoying loud music. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
    20. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's bad enough having to deal with internal sounds without having to battle external noises!

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You can't legislate decency, and part of the problem with that "its a free country" meme so beloved of Ford F150/grid-iron Americans is that no-one any longer has any idea what it actually means.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This is an update on my original post.

Last thursday I made a post about my neighbor, who plays his awful music extremely loudly to the dismay of the other neighbors. A lot of people commented giving me advice on how to handle him, and what I should do about him. It was very helpful but I didn't have to use any of it thankfully.

So on Friday, he did it again, and he did it for an hour. I decided I've had enough of his music, and went shopping for eggs. That night I egged the hell out of his house. 24 eggs in total and was able to get most of them on the roof, with a couple on the sides of the house for good measure.

I decided to wait a few days before I wrote an update, to see if I would have to talk to the homeowners association. Luckily he spent all Saturday cleaning his house and I haven't heard him blare his music since, so I think he got the message.

It sucks that I had to go that far to get him to shut up, but he finally stopped. Goes to show that some people just won't learn until you deal with them the hard way. Either way I'm glad he stopped, the neighborhood is quiet, and I can put this whole ordeal behind me.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    23. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Wow threefirefour!! Just be careful because he may set up a camera to catch the egger.....

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Maybe but I'm probably not gonna do it again. He seems to have gotten the message.

25. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yeah probably a good idea. At least you experienced some quiet.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      LOL. The yoke's on him!

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      LOL That's an innovative way to deal with noisy neighbours: make them busy doing things other than listening to music.

I salute you!

This reminds me of one time my neighbour got one of those wind chimes. This was years before T. I waited until 3 in the morning, covered my face (in case my neighbours were to have video surveillance) and cut down the wind chimes. They actually got a second set of wind chimes(!?!) They placed them in their backyard. It turned out to not be a trap, and I cut those chimes down without incident. I was planning to do things like keying their car next, but luckily for all of us they got the message.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Cover your face. Also don't walk out of your house and walk directly to their house. Leave your home using the backyard door, and then circle back to pay a visit to your neighbour. Retrace your steps on the way home.

• Informative Informative x 1
    29. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'm glad you didn't do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor